Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th January 2019, 18:54   #41
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Accidents Happen.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQn_3i8Y9zc
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 18:55   #42
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

It all depends on the kind of accident you want to have.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 18:58   #43
m2n
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2004 Contemporary SE 2.5 Auto

Default Standard of driving.....

To witness the horrid standard of driving in this day and age, take a drive on the M6 North or Southbound for about 10 miles so as to give you a broad idea of male/female drivers who treat the M6 like Silverstone,in rain/snow/wind/fog. Preferably the Lancashire section so as to avoid the roadworks. Just tootle along in the slow lane at 70 mph and witness cars rocketing past at at least 90 mph.
Also check the road reports, EVERY day there is an accident on the M6 in the Lancashire area due to these ars****** You might as well add the M65/M61 to that scenairo as well.

As for the roadworks travelling at 50 mph when travelling between the speed cameras you have the HGV's thundering past, then slowing down as they get to the next set of cameras..........
Methinks a pilots licence would be in order, nice little helicopter.....
She was the: 103,715th 75 to run off production line, out of 112,381
She was the: 382nd 75 2.5 V6 Contemporary SE to be made out of 686
She was the: 1,415th 75 in Firefrost Red (code CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75's
m2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 19:04   #44
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Am I the only one who was impressed with the Kia?
Alas new cars don't do it for me.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 19:16   #45
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Surely the vast majority of collisions occur because one human being makes an error of judgement and makes a choice in their actions which has nasty consequences?

Such as, perhaps, pulling out of a junction when there isn't enough space/time to do so and......crunch.

Now, IMHO the focus should surely be on the competence of the driver to be in control of a vehicle. If they are unable to judge the speed of approaching traffic and work out if the vehicle they are driving is capable of pulling out safely without any other road user changing their speed or course then, maybe, they shouldn't be in control of any vehicle on the public road?

Interestingly the knee jerk reaction seems to be a discussion about reducing the speed limit on the major road. I'm going for a person with a flag walking in front of every vehicle . Might reduce the unemployment figures also .

I've posted before that perhaps one idea would be that if you are involved in a collision you have to take a retest. No collisions, no re-test; lots of collisions, lots of re-tests costing lots of ££££'s.

Oh, and an inability to drive at the speed limit when & where appropriate is a fail. So the motorists who are unable to maintain a reasonable speed causing queues and frustration leading to "rash" overtaking decisions are also deemed not fit to be in control of a vehicle.

The issues around what sort of vehicle is the "best" to have collision in is a bit cart before horse to me. How about 30+ tonnes of truck? Apparently they can stop in about a couple of car lengths at 60mph if what I regularly see on motorways is anything to go by. Not too sure how a 4x4 copes with that?

Many years ago one of the motorcycle magazines did a test with riders wearing a helmet ('cus it's the law) & swimming trunks. The idea was that the rider felt (and indeed was) much more vulnerable so they would alter their riding "style" accordingly.

I seem to remember it worked to a degree. The riders were much more "defensive" in their style but were not a huge degree slower overall.

Lots of factors, lots of choice, apparently no simple solutions.

Looking forward to more discussion.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 18th January 2019 at 19:20..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 19:21   #46
Brit
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I started the thread because the incident shows how delusional it is to assume driving a heavy 4x4 gives an advantage in any accident. As so many of you point out it entirely depends on the circumstances, the driver, and type of accident. Despite this I was initially impressed with the ability of the Kia to have such an effect. I also tried to imagine if the roles were reversed and a Land Rover ploughs into the side of a Kia.
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 20:23   #47
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

To be fair just being a Land Rover doesn't make it a big heavy 4x4. In fact His nibs was driving a Freelander 2 which has a kerb weight of 1640kg a whole 40kg over that of a Rover 75 and is only 400mm taller than a Kia so considering the inertia of the Kia travelling at speed both cars are similarly matched. Looking at the pics of the Freelander after recovery it stood up rather well to being t-boned and the passenger cell is still in reasonably good shape as is the Kia's. Different story if it had been a proper full size 2.5 ton Range Rover - they'd probably be scraping the Kia off the doors like a squashed fly! I know which I'd rather be in

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 20:24   #48
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

This is what I'm driving at the moment and luv it, why would anyone want anything different?

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2019, 20:33   #49
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Regardless of what you think of the drivers, the Qashqai is an excellent car and probably about as British as our 75s!
Old 18th January 2019, 20:47   #50
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Regardless of what you think of the drivers, the Qashqai is an excellent car and probably about as British as our 75s!
It's emissions isn't great despite it's Euro 6 rating, one that fudged the test results I believe?
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote