Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th August 2018, 13:26   #51
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr m View Post
has anyone had experience with these,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-MG-...e/322905928538
at that price i might give them a try later in the year.
In theory they should be better, can't move but still affords some damping, they look good to me :-)
Mangizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2018, 05:29   #52
paul d
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Saab 93 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
An interesting read about these bushes, the topic is all about the quality of replacement bushes, even the ones from SAIC are not holding up as they should as far as I can see, a supplier changes from manufacturer to manufacturer on price dependency and the quality will invariably suffer so it seems a bit of pot luck when buying.
For proven quality I think going down the Powerflex route would be the best policy, there is minimal pricing difference and I know that the old bushes have to be pressed out and the poly bushes pressed in but to a competent diy mechanic there is nothing scary in that, a garage would happily fit these bushes if supplied.
The purists may not agree but when we have to keep replacing bushes and links because of poor quality then another solution has to be looked at, I have recently fitted Powerflex anti roll bar bushes to the front of my ZT, I just wished they made them for the rear too.

Here is a link to the Powerflex bushes. Powerflex

I've said this many times on here that I fitted the powerflex bushes to my car (all the bushes they do). They are not a major job to fit & any reasonably competent person should be able to do it.

If you cut the center out, put a hacksaw blade through the center of the bush & CAREFULLY cut through the outer ring of the bush in a couple of places about 25/30mm apart. This piece will tap out & the rest fold in to make it easy to get out. Clean really well, Lots of copper grease & press in.

If you have a vice(that opens wide enough) & put some wood in the jaws this will do the job. I used a woodwork vice, no problem & have on occasion done it by hand.

They are still fine on my car after 3ish years & the car feels no different to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr m View Post
has anyone had experience with these,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-MG-...e/322905928538
at that price i might give them a try later in the year.

They look similar to the ones that a Polish guy called Pietor brought to a Nano & were fitted in the field.

Have no idea how good they turned out to be, but the powerflex's are a proven item.

Anyone wants the Powerflex's put into their mountings I'm happy to do it for them just for cost of postage.

Regards

Paul
Old 9th August 2018, 06:51   #53
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I fitted my Powerflex bushes without removing the carrier from the car. I disassembled a hacksaw and assembled in through the bush, once the bush was removed I cleaned up the hole with some wet and dry and used some large washers and threaded rod to fit the new bush.

If you have a Mini you will need to use this technique as the carriers cannot be removed without dropping the subframe.

These bushes are a great upgrade with no loss in ride comfort or extra noise and in my view sharpen the steering response up.

Interestingly the MOT tester I use reckoned he is failing a lot of cars on these bushes at the moment even though owners are claiming they have been replaced.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2018, 08:47   #54
paul d
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Saab 93 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I fitted my Powerflex bushes without removing the carrier from the car. I disassembled a hacksaw and assembled in through the bush, once the bush was removed I cleaned up the hole with some wet and dry and used some large washers and threaded rod to fit the new bush.

If you have a Mini you will need to use this technique as the carriers cannot be removed without dropping the subframe.

These bushes are a great upgrade with no loss in ride comfort or extra noise and in my view sharpen the steering response up
Neat trick with the washers & threaded bar. Wish I'd thought of that as it can be a pain to relocate the bolts. Although you don't have to have the mounting on the arm to replace when using the powerflex ones.

Can't say I've noticed any difference in the steering response but as you say no loss of comfort or ride.

I know they have their detractors but to me they are the way to go.

Regards

Paul
Old 9th August 2018, 09:25   #55
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If you are fitting Powerflex bushes to pattern lower arms then you may need to file the hexagon profile further down the arm.

Had to do that on both of my arms. Easy enough to do in place - I used a deep surface drive socket to check the accuracy of the fettling.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 18:55   #56
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Default Will one last longer than the other?!

Hi all,

I've been following this topic with interest (or is it now increasing worry?!) as I replaced both complete suspension arms and bushes a couple of months ago from Mat.

So after seeing this thread I crawled under the car, and found there were different versions of bush fitted on the arms.

At least now I have the chance to conduct my own Consumer Study to see if one version is better than the the other !

I'm sure both will last .... it's a low mileage hobby car rather than a daily driver after all !

All those people who believe driving Rovers is/was boring don't appreciate all the excitement (worry?) we have....

Bfn

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suspension bush 1.jpg (131.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Suspension bush 2.jpg (112.9 KB, 50 views)

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 21:32   #57
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

Excellent, a controlled experiment to see which is best, let us know which fails 1st.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 22:14   #58
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grout20 View Post
Hi all,

I've been following this topic with interest (or is it now increasing worry?!) as I replaced both complete suspension arms and bushes a couple of months ago from Mat.

So after seeing this thread I crawled under the car, and found there were different versions of bush fitted on the arms.

At least now I have the chance to conduct my own Consumer Study to see if one version is better than the the other !

I'm sure both will last .... it's a low mileage hobby car rather than a daily driver after all !

All those people who believe driving Rovers is/was boring don't appreciate all the excitement (worry?) we have....

Bfn

John
Hi John.
Did you not notice when you were fitting them? or had them fitted, ass you say time will tell now which mount lasts, but at the same time you will be getting a different torsion on each arm, one maybe twisting more than the other.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 05:54   #59
grout20
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_of_British View Post
Excellent, a controlled experiment to see which is best, let us know which fails 1st.
Will do. Although I'm hoping it's not for a l o n n n n g time !

John

• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
Old 11th August 2018, 06:23   #60
grout20
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi John.
Did you not notice when you were fitting them? or had them fitted, ass you say time will tell now which mount lasts, but at the same time you will be getting a different torsion on each arm, one maybe twisting more than the other.
Hi Steve

I changed my rear discs and pads recently too, using one of your "How to" articles. A great help. Thanks!

No, I didn't notice the difference when the suspension arms arrived, even in the same box! How did I miss that?!

Neither did my local garage man when he fitted them, but then he's not as paranoid as us.... or is that just me....?

And now you mention torsion differences .... you've got me wondering now whether it's better to be turning left or turning right !

Mini roundabouts? ... 3 point turns? ... reversing into a tight spot? Oh no!

TBH, I'm not too concerned. As per another recent thread .... there's nothing better than cruising along the motorway in one of our cars. I love it.

....and motorways don't have sharp, torsion inducing corners.....

Cheers f'now

John