Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th April 2018, 08:18   #11
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
I'v had again a friend of mine turn the key to ignition position, and exactly when the car was running the self traction control test when turning the ignition on, right when it pulled the seccond throttle valve, I was also pushing further on that thing where the end of the cable is attached to, I've tried this many times, turning on and off the ignition again so that the test runs again, and 2 of like 20 times, the error disappeared, but when turning the ignition off and on again, it would appear again.
This would suggest the traction control actuator is not operating through its full movement. If you can "assist" it by moving the end of the cable by hand and it clears then either the flap is too stiff or the actuator isn't pulling hard enough.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 09:51   #12
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I drive the car every single day.
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 09:52   #13
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
This would suggest the traction control actuator is not operating through its full movement. If you can "assist" it by moving the end of the cable by hand and it clears then either the flap is too stiff or the actuator isn't pulling hard enough.
So what should be done about this now?
Old 1st May 2018, 11:46   #14
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

If you have manually pushed the flap and that feels fine I would be tempted to fit a known good traction control unit and see if that solves the problem.
before you pay a fortune for a replacement rover 75 traction control actuator they are the same as the early BMW CRUISE control, you just need to change the cable.
Here is one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-e36-t...4AAOSwHtJagsCX

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 5th May 2018, 22:09   #15
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Well, the thing is, after releasing the actuator from it's 3 fitting screws, I found out that I can't open it's housing up because it's one half is somehow sealed with the other one at a 90 degrees angle making it a sh*t of a job to open it, it's not like for the VIS motors for example where you threw a flat screwdriver through the seal, push the head of the screwdriver to the side by moving the end of it to the exterior of the vis motor, and the case opens, here I found out that you can't do this because as said, it's placed to sit on the top half as far as I can see, any help with this? I want to open it for inspection and look hot it acts and if any teeth are broken, what else should I look for, is there a way to check if the small gear always makes it's full normal turn?
Old 6th May 2018, 06:14   #16
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

If you open the small flap and gently tease out the cable from the plastic cog, you can then turn the cog to see if it moves freely and how far.

Mine had seized solid but a replacement (secondhand BMW one off Ebay) got me up and running again.

Tip... to get a bit more "slack" in the cable to help tease out from the cog, wedge the other end of the cable / throttle body end into the "open" position. Hope that makes sense.

Good luck
John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 07:04   #17
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes it makes sense, but when the cog has the cable on it and in place just like normal, I can't move the cog at all, not even when pushing with a screwdriver against it, is that normal or should it move freely even with the cable attached to it? And as said, how do I remove the top half of the housing?

And as I said, my Autocom diagnose is giving me this error: 22 -Position control fault (Traction control). Now, is there a sensor or something like that that reads the position of the flap or what kind of position would this refer to?

Last edited by Rsnail; 6th May 2018 at 07:12..
Old 6th May 2018, 10:43   #18
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

You can get the top off these, I have done it to repair mine temp whilst I purchased another. It involves looking at where the top slides over the body and going round the whole of it with a thin screwdriver or stanley knofe, this will loosen the adhesivde, then you should be able to prize the top off gently.

Last edited by stocktake; 6th May 2018 at 10:45..
Old 6th May 2018, 11:08   #19
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

As said, try parking the cars front wheels on a slippery surface, hit the accelorator causing ghe wheels to slip.
See if the tc activates.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 11:58   #20
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

genpk, I will try this when possible, and see how it reacts, but even if the error is still there, if nothing is broken or faulty, should the traction control still do it's job?

stocktake, I will give it a try today again.