Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 14th June 2014, 15:16   #41
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscan.eu View Post
This morning I got this working on a Raspberry Pi (I mean the pscan.eu solution not the other one).

This gives people two options.

1. If you want a carputer with a touch screen in your dash, if you want to make it Pi powered it will just work.

2. You could export the graphics from the program to an X server on a phone or tablet instead. You would need a wifi or ethernet connection from the phone/tablet to the Pi but that's pretty easy to do.
Sounding even better

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
Old 14th June 2014, 19:04   #42
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscan.eu View Post
This morning I got this working on a Raspberry Pi (I mean the pscan.eu solution not the other one).

This gives people two options.

1. If you want a carputer with a touch screen in your dash, if you want to make it Pi powered it will just work.

2. You could export the graphics from the program to an X server on a phone or tablet instead. You would need a wifi or ethernet connection from the phone/tablet to the Pi but that's pretty easy to do.
And I did a 160 upgrade, enabled speedlocking and digital speedometer with my Virtual T4 today, and that "just worked" too

I also had a look at your website linked to from Rover Ron's, and noted you were asking for "donations" with a monetary goal counter.

Surely the R&D work should be done without the need for outside funding in this way, and the final product once bugfixed then released and advertised

I realise the progress you have made thus far is exciting, however you have a way to go to make this anything other than a "code reader"

You need to be working on the security protocols for the BCU, EWS and SRS to make this a viable option for Joe Public, but the initial progress you have made is impressive.

Keep up the good work

Brian
Old 14th June 2014, 23:24   #43
pscan.eu
Regular poster

Peugeot 604/Jag X350

I think that I have been very, very transparent about what it does and what it doesn't do.
You will see screen shots of every ECU that works and what people will get.
I have invited people to demos to have a look at it.
I have said how much it will cost.
I have said when they will get one.

Who said anything about bugs?

I am not asking people to fund R&D. I have done all of the R&D on my own time and at my own expense. I am asking for funding to make the first production run. I need a reasonable production quantity to make this for a reasonable price just like any other product of any complexity. Suppliers have to be paid up front.

It quite clearly explains all that on the Kickstarter page.

There's no point in me trying to compete with an actual T4. It just isn't going to compare and I'm not going to pretend it will; it won't. But it exists and it's available and it will meet some people's needs.

I just got the display from the Pi exported to an Android tablet and to my phone. I can demo that tomorrow too.
Old 15th June 2014, 17:59   #44
Anthony & Maricel
This is my second home

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1.8L pre production S573 AOX Vin 001493 Feb 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Virtual T4 is a standalone software product in it's own right, solely developed by Phil-T4.

The front end interface at the moment is utilising standard RDS software, which of course as we both own standard T4 machines is perfectly legal and no infringement of copyright exists.

So the only "virtual" part, is the emulation of the electronic handshaking of the actual T4 interface, for which there are no copyright issues.

So there is nothing stopping you purchasing a legitimate copy of RDS 5.06, and DST0006V directly from Omitec, and running Phil's software and hardware in conjuction with it

On saying that, the finished product will have it's own custom front end interface

Brian
My nice idea Brian, but in all reality will omnitech want to sell RDS 5.06 and DST0006 to everyday people like us. And at what cost, it probably will be expensive and out of reach of a lot of people.
Old 28th June 2014, 08:19   #45
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Wink Funding secured and more

A few years ago Philips would have been welcomed with open arms by everyone on this forum, without exception.

I believe the silent majority still do and since his project is now funded by £2k more than he needed, I would say this is probably the case, though we will never know who the funders are.
Sadly a conceited few still find it necessary to massage their egos by slagging off everything they don't have a hand in and also think their opinion matters most.
Philip in his brief encounter with those in this clique, now has a very low opinion of this forum, whereas the silent majority have enough sense to see past the boasting, know it all rhetoric.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...er-and-mg-cars

Well done Philip, you deserve a medal.

Ron
Old 28th June 2014, 08:29   #46
Anthony & Maricel
This is my second home

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1.8L pre production S573 AOX Vin 001493 Feb 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverron View Post
A few years ago Philips would have been welcomed with open arms by everyone on this forum, without exception.

I believe the silent majority still do and since his project is now funded by £2k more than he needed, I would say this is probably the case, though we will never know who the funders are.
Sadly a conceited few still find it necessary to massage their egos by slagging off everything they don't have a hand in and also think their opinion matters most.
Philip in his brief encounter with those in this clique, now has a very low opinion of this forum, whereas the silent majority have enough sense to see past the boasting, know it all rhetoric.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...er-and-mg-cars

Ron
I agree, Phill had Done a sterling job of the emulator. From what Brian says, but omnitech will need to open up to selling the necessary software to forum members.
Old 28th June 2014, 09:00   #47
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

I too think what Philip has done is great. I am glad that he was able to get his funding sorted.

It does all come down to money and what it does. If at the end of the day it does what the 'buyer' wants, then brilliant, but if he his looking for more, then it's not going to be bought.

I would love a 'simplified' T4, just one that will read all the data correctly, and tell me in english what it means. If you could also turn on/off the factory options (DRL, one touch up/down, etc) that would be brilliant. I don't want to be able to reprogramme things coz I would end up bricking my car knowing my luck. - Oh well, I can dream

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
Old 28th June 2014, 09:14   #48
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony & Maricel View Post
I agree, Phill had Done a sterling job of the emulator. From what Brian says, but omnitech will need to open up to selling the necessary software to forum members.
Its not an emulator - why do you think it is?
Its a laptop based diagnostic tool that does what Philip claims and this is more than an off the shelf generic obd tool.

You can buy tools with model specific capabilities such as the SP ACR4 that I have but not for the cost of Philip's tool and even the most costly will never offer the same functionality as a genuine T4.

He's not claiming its a T4 alternative nor wants to emulate everything a T4 can do. It a product of his own work and did not involve trying to hack other companies software or hardware, which makes it an all the more impressive a piece of work. (yes he did reverse engineer the ecu security to provide the greater functionality but that's no mean feat in itself but he's far from the first to do this or remapping would be impossible)
Ron
Old 28th June 2014, 09:24   #49
pscan.eu
Regular poster

Peugeot 604/Jag X350

Quote:
Philip in his brief encounter with those in this clique, now has a very low opinion of this forum
Hmm. Ron is kind of forcing my hand a bit here. I guess I'll have to tell the actual truth. The truth is that I found this particular thread a bit stressful and disappointing. To spend such a lot of time working on something and then to have it slammed because it's not a T4, or, "just a code reader" was hard. I didn't get much sleep that night which was the night before the demo day.

The other problem with this thread is that it makes a suggestion (not an actual promise, but it could be interpreted that way) of a "virtual T4" to the general forum readership. I could be wrong, but I really don't think that this is going to happen. I'm sorry guys but most of you are not going to get a virtual T4; that's my opinion.

I don't have a problem with the forum as a whole. There are clearly some great and generous people on here, and a few potential customers too . In fact I'm not even going to have a problem with any clique. They have their opinion and I have mine and that's just fine. I have been on the Internet long enough to know the rules of these things. You keep it factual and professional and not personal. I have decided not to get into a conflict and so I just won't.

I also am aware that as of today I am now running a business as I am going to receive a pile of cash to do this, but I haven't paid for trader status here. I will have to keep a lower profile. I thank the moderators for their tolerance so far.

Quote:
I also need to be clear, I am not doing this out of charity or love of MG Rover cars. I wanted to have a go at designing and creating something that people would want and which would make me some pocket money. That's the satisfaction (and ego I suppose) that engineers, designers, developers or whatever crave. I needed to sell 3500 to break even and now I have gone over that and will be able to build up some stock. I don't think I deserve a medal. This is business and I am getting what I wanted and that's enough.

I actually think that this product can co-exist with the services offered by the T4 experts. It does only do error codes and live data, and it is a safe product for a hobbyist to use. It just saves you having to go to a professional mechanic with their 2 grand tool every time a little fault occurs. If you want to do something more serious you are still going to have to visit a T4 guy, and that's probably a good thing because they have the expertise to not brick your whole car which is a risk as understand it.

So hopefully we can all get along.

Thanks Philip
Old 28th June 2014, 09:27   #50
pscan.eu
Regular poster

Peugeot 604/Jag X350

Quote:
Its not an emulator - why do you think it is?
Because he's refering to Phil-T4s emulator and not my product. Confusion caused by similar names.
Closed Thread