Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th February 2013, 15:16   #1
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Default Is it me?

For the last 2 years we have has issues with one neighbour complaining about noise.
I have done everything to accomodate them. I packed away my surround sound system, only using the TV speakers, i bought surround sound headphones, i dont listen to music any more at all except with ear buds, i changed my sleep pattern to go to bed at 10 to 10.30 and invested in a sound deadening mat to place under the TV. My landlord listened to my set up and couldnt see a problem, but the neighbours wouldnt let him see what it was like in their house.

After a while with no moaning this morning my phone went off in my bedroom, which i missed. It then rang again, and while it was ringing they started banging on the wall!! It was my PHONE, just a mobile, not even on max volume. I went ballistic and had a right rant at them.

Now please is it me at fault here? They are so sensitive that a mobile ringing at 8 in the morning was enough to upset them. As it happened it was bad news i was half expecting which didnt help, but really.
Old 28th February 2013, 15:21   #2
marke46320d
Loves to post

mg zt-t cdti + 135

I'd just get the surround sound back out again and give them something to really mean about.
Old 28th February 2013, 15:26   #3
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Buy a violin. Take lessons. At home.
Old 28th February 2013, 15:29   #4
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Sounds like (no pun intended!) you live in flats or something similar?

If your neighbours can hear your phone ringing through the dividing wall, the landlord should invest in some sound proofing fitted on both sides of the wall.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 15:45   #5
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

It's a terrace house. The problem is we rent, if we owned it I would have told them to go forth agreed ago..
Old 28th February 2013, 15:54   #6
SKS Disco
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Mine used to be like that one side !
Until one day I hooked up the stereo to guitar amp and Marshall 4 x 12 cab.
Loaded the multichanger with Motorhead and 2 ACDC discs on random shuffle and went out for an hour.
You want noise you silly old pair of boots ...you got it !

Oh, very nice old lady next door the other side I took into town with us.

Seemed to work. They don't whinge about noise anymore.
Old 28th February 2013, 15:55   #7
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
For the last 2 years we have has issues with one neighbour complaining about noise.
I have done everything to accomodate them. I packed away my surround sound system, only using the TV speakers, i bought surround sound headphones, i dont listen to music any more at all except with ear buds, i changed my sleep pattern to go to bed at 10 to 10.30 and invested in a sound deadening mat to place under the TV. My landlord listened to my set up and couldnt see a problem, but the neighbours wouldnt let him see what it was like in their house.

After a while with no moaning this morning my phone went off in my bedroom, which i missed. It then rang again, and while it was ringing they started banging on the wall!! It was my PHONE, just a mobile, not even on max volume. I went ballistic and had a right rant at them.

Now please is it me at fault here? They are so sensitive that a mobile ringing at 8 in the morning was enough to upset them. As it happened it was bad news i was half expecting which didnt help, but really.
You have done everything in your power to accommodate them. This is bordering on the ridiculous on their part.
I had the same situation with my neighbour. When he moved in I politely went round and said if any noise disturbed him to not hesitate and let me know. I dont have the telly loud and occasionaly put some music on. He started complaining over nothing to the extent I had to confront him and spell out I would not be liable for any actions I might take upon his person if he knocked on my door again (if you know what I mean). He stopped bothering me and 4 months later I had a visit from the council. I explained the situation and they went away on good terms. 1 month later they were round again, explaining they may have to put a sound recording meter in to record the so called noise. I said fine, be my guest, after finding out he was winding other neighbours up for silly noise related things.
He now want to move because the neighbours dont like him. Go figure

The point is, there are some **** holes in this life. Just hope he moves on or file a complaint that he is disturbing you. I feel sorry for you on this one. Personally, as said, I would now give him something to complain about for a week then go back to normal so he knows how lucky he is to have such a considerate neighbour.

Last edited by Thomas; 28th February 2013 at 20:32.. Reason: FAQ rule 2
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 16:03   #8
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

They are just jealous because you have a life. Don't allow them to stop you living it.

If they complain to the council they will be asked to keep a diary of noise nuisance and will have to prove persisent offending.
Old 28th February 2013, 16:21   #9
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Mate of mine had bother with his neighbours keeping him awake with late parties. He'd spoken nicely to them God knows how many times until he got sick of it. Another party on 'til the early hours of Sunday morning, music booming through the walls. George got up very early on the Sunday morning, about 2 hours after the party had fizzled out, and put a full sheet of 3/4" flooring chipboard up against the wall and proceeded to pass some time drilling holes in it with the drill on hammer setting Surprisingly he didn't have any more bother with them!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 19:23   #10
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Well they put a letter through my door today. Apparently it woke her up and she was 'extremely disappointed' by my reaction to her compliant.

I have told her in a reply, in no uncertain terms, that her sensitivity is affecting my ability to use the house for which i pay a not inconsiderable rent. Since she owns her house it is now up to her to take responsibility for it. If the walls really are that thin then she needs to invest in insulation. I have done everything i possibly can, and far more than is reasonable.

I can see us having to move out if this continues, because we rent we aren't in a very strong position, even with a semi-sympathetic landlord.

I made it clear to our landlord that their ability to rent the house out is compromised while she is this sensitive. Students, a family with a baby, or even a young remotely sociable couple are out of the question.