Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th August 2012, 20:37   #11
baggie9
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar s Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDYW View Post
Hi.
If it,s a genuine body shop and qualified panelbeaters/sprayers, No way should it take anywhere near a week to fit doors perfectly. Either the doors are twisted or your car is.
The first part of fitting doors is getting the hinge positions correct after that it is little adjustments and shims( if required ). 7 years in a body shop fitting panels in my sleep,( then I saw the light ) I may not be very good at explaining, but I can fit body parts.
Hi,The 4 w4 hit my car when it was parked outside my moms house.The damage was to the 2 offside doors ,the roof sill. and centre pillar was not damaged or marked.Could the body shop have fitted patttern doors? and not Jaguar,they said they were genuine parts but I have lost trust in them.
baggie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 22:29   #12
EDDYW
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8 saloon. Jag X300 4L, XJ8 3.2 v8, Jeep Grand Cherokee 4l petrol + LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggie9 View Post
Hi,The 4 w4 hit my car when it was parked outside my moms house.The damage was to the 2 offside doors ,the roof sill. and centre pillar was not damaged or marked.Could the body shop have fitted patttern doors? and not Jaguar,they said they were genuine parts but I have lost trust in them.
Hi.
I certainly couldn't, comment about what parts were used,
If the doors were repairable they may well have put door skins on, or as you suggest, pattern parts,
Pattern parts usually take more fiddling with and are much cheaper than originals, however worth the extra time fitting in lots of cases.
With both doors getting hit unless it was a glancing blow it is hard to say without measuring that the center pillar was affected or not, it only takes a couple of mil to knock everything out, a bit like the domino effect.
If it were only door replace and paint, I would be asking WHY can't they get it sorted. And then demand to know why it was an upward penile projection in the first place.
EDDYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 22:55   #13
gowenlewis

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Thanks you guys for replies and I will consider once I get cost of new doors from breaker. Maybe drive over to breaker if I can persuade him to swap the doors.
gowenlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 01:01   #14
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

I had a bit of wind noise from my new door after the bodyshop fitted it. (NS_R)

But my local garage sorted it out for me. I can still hear it at 40 mph ish but above or below that it's fine..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 02:14   #15
EDDYW
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8 saloon. Jag X300 4L, XJ8 3.2 v8, Jeep Grand Cherokee 4l petrol + LPG

You would be stringing up the body Bashers if you saw some of the trade secret fixes for a door(wind noise) or badly fitting bonnet.
EDDYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 10:44   #16
gowenlewis

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Default Fitting new door skins

My 2003 Copperleaf Red Code CDX Connoisseur has dents on 3 of the doors. My original idea was to get complete identical doors and swap. But now, I will probably have to settle for the door skins only and install the bits and pieces. Now, what sort of a task is this? How long/complicated is this particularly as I'm a bit ham fisted.
gowenlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 10:50   #17
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

The easiest option would be to exchange the doors,or have the existing doors repaired professionally.To re skin a door is not the easiest task and best left to a bodyshop.

Thread moved to the Technical help forum redirect left.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 11:35   #18
SKS Disco
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
The easiest option would be to exchange the doors,or have the existing doors repaired professionally.To re skin a door is not the easiest task and best left to a bodyshop.

Thread moved to the Technical help forum redirect left.
Totally agree. Unless you are a sheetmetal worker/panelbeater with all the correct tools and experience, don't even attempt it.
Old 30th August 2012, 17:04   #19
jongp
Regular poster

MG ZT

DO you mean the skin, or just buying a blank door minus window glass and rubbers etc?

If so i've no real experiance on this car, but i have done this to my sister's clio it was a bit of a pain but not too difficult, best to have someone on standby as you'll find yourself needing to have both hands in the door holding thing's whilst someone else tightens things up.

Jon

edit. by a pain i just mean that your trying to do all the work through little cut outs
jongp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 17:14   #20
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Unless you know how to panel beat and produce clench joints do even try it. You will probably end up damaging the skins at the edges and getting the shut lines all over the place and it will look second rate.

Sometimes it is better to do a few extra hours work paid employment and use the funds to pay somebody who knows what to do than spending the same time having a go and failing and then find somebody to do the work in the first place.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote