Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th June 2020, 19:50   #1
roverbeast75
Avid contributor

rover 75

Default 2.0 CDT vs 1.8T

Potentially considering swapping my CDT for a 1.8T (petrol cars are cheaper tax wise here + low emission zones everyone)

The 1.8T only has 71.000 km (44.000 miles), but how is the 1.8T reliability wise compared to the CDT?

I know there's an infamous head gasket problem, is it a big job? at what miles do most common issues occure with the 1.8t?

The diesel has usual crankshaft pulley issues, gearbox slave cylinder etc .. same for 1.8t?

Last edited by roverbeast75; 15th June 2020 at 19:55..
roverbeast75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2020, 20:04   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbeast75 View Post
Potentially considering swapping my CDT for a 1.8T (petrol cars are cheaper tax wise here + low emission zones everyone)

The 1.8T only has 71.000 km (44.000 miles), but how is the 1.8T reliability wise compared to the CDT?

I know there's an infamous head gasket problem, is it a big job? at what miles do most common issues occure with the 1.8t?

The diesel has usual crankshaft pulley issues, gearbox slave cylinder etc .. same for 1.8t?
The 1.8 is a very underrated engine, yes they can suffer from head gasket issues, check the water level weekly and you wont go far wrong, replacing the head gasket is pretty straightforward should you need to.

No crank pulley problems to worry about, the slave cylinder has the same failure issues as the diesel as it is the same design.

The driving experience is better with the 1.8 as the engine is much lighter and this allows the car to be a lot better balanced.
Old 5th July 2020, 22:13   #3
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

In my experience clutch slave cylinders fail much more often on diesels than 1.8 petrols.
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2020, 06:24   #4
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

My 1.8t has 209,800 miles on the clock and is still on its original clutch and slave cylinder.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2020, 06:55   #5
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Great engine, very well suited to the car especially in zt form. I had one for a year and I’ve enjoyed using it but the big disadvantage is the fuel economy. I always averaged less than 30mpg even on long runs, my replacement diesel is miles better on fuel. They do feel more nimble though, a lot less weight over the front axel makes for a more engaging driving experience.

I would only consider a diesel if it’s an auto, I wouldn’t consider a manual even if it was extremely cheap, there’s always that dark cloud looming over of slave cylinder going! I always though the 1.8’s were easier on clutches due to the lighter pressure plate. You don’t hear of as many on here but I’m not in the trade so I can’t comment. They also aren’t as bad for headgaskets but when it does go you need to change the turbo too otherwise it will fail soon after, they are very susceptible to bearing damage when a bit of water goes through. But it’s a straightforward job.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote