Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th July 2020, 18:41   #1
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Default Radio: retrofitting VDO from IR?

I dislike any chav-like radio with removable fascias so have taken out the Kenwood from my ZT. I had a spare original R75 VDO kicking about so removed the Kenwood harness extension and plugged it in. Success.

I want to use the SWC button with the VDO. The car has the IR module fitted which didn't work with the Kenwood. There is a single capped-off red/green wire sitting alongside the main harness. The radio has two (cut) wires coming out the back beside the main connectors - one brown and one red/green.

Is there any way of connecting/reconnecting the SWC given all the above? Ta.

Dougie.
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 137,000 miles
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2020, 23:20   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

hello dougie might help if you said what model it is you wish to fit . i understand you want this unit to work via the infared on the swc switches. is it with cd changer as well ? removed my symphony plus glovebox changer to install my radioguy double din unit. then few months ago replaced that with a new kenwood dmx7017dabs. all were swc standard button which i could help with there but never had the infa red setup. have you got the sender module and receiver installed in place and are working ? what was fitted originaly it must have been IR or not ? bit more info and im sure someone will have one of these units fitted or know what the leads are for at the rear . regards xsport

Last edited by xsport; 7th July 2020 at 00:09..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2020, 09:21   #3
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
hello dougie might help if you said what model it is you wish to fit . i understand you want this unit to work via the infared on the swc switches. is it with cd changer as well ? removed my symphony plus glovebox changer to install my radioguy double din unit. then few months ago replaced that with a new kenwood dmx7017dabs. all were swc standard button which i could help with there but never had the infa red setup. have you got the sender module and receiver installed in place and are working ? what was fitted originaly it must have been IR or not ? bit more info and im sure someone will have one of these units fitted or know what the leads are for at the rear . regards xsport
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I actually do not need/want the infra red function. The model is the standard OEM Rover 75 VDO radio. I don't know if they were fitted to ZTs at all but it obviously fits.

So all I want to achieve is to fit the VDO radio and have it work with the steering wheel controls. It does work but the issue is the steering wheel controls.

Dougie.
• 137,000 miles
Old 7th July 2020, 12:57   #4
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

it depends on your wiring set up. there were 3 models fitted to the contempory models they are siemens i believe. a standard . then a model with mp playback and finally a model with 6 cd change. they are listed in the "try here first if you have a problem on how to identify your radio " in the tech forum on here. you should have C0395 grey loom connector. on this connector you are looking for pins 2 and 3. pin 2 u/o key 2 pin 3 u/p key 1 these are just a circuit through the switches as a loop. one side plus the other earth. duotone has a post on here with photos. if you search vdo change fom symphony etc or look in his previous posts list. do you have the unit receiver behind the eyebrow fitted ... if so you probably will have to find a wiring diagram especially if you dont have the pins 2 and 3 populated at C0395 with those colours. you could see if they are on the loom behind C0395 but taped up. i suspect it was an infared setup but you may be able to tap into the swc wires to the switches if it was. see how you go. ...
Old 7th July 2020, 13:41   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

if you have got an original vdo "rover" to fit it should work. if its out of another car maybe not .(as in kia hyundai or similar) these units for rover were "roverised " to fit the mg/75 range of swc switches by way of altering the resistors on the switches to suit rover. this also is across the model range of vdo radios made to suit the rovers. if you have the base model it may well be plug and play. you could send stubbie a p.m he got his to work ! also duotone could put you right with regards to switch resistors etc values required. you may need to rework the switches but hopefully not.
Old 7th July 2020, 13:57   #6
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
you should have C0395 grey loom connector. on this connector you are looking for pins 2 and 3.
Only the Harmony stereo has the 17 pin 395 connector, all the other units have two 8 pin ISO connectors, and it is only the Symphony stereo that has the two steering wheel control cables in pins 2 & 3 of the grey ISO connector.
The later units have them on their own in a mini ISO connector.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2020, 14:02   #7
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
Only the Harmony stereo has the 17 pin 395 connector, all the other units have two 8 pin ISO connectors, and it is only the Symphony stereo that has the two steering wheel control cables in pins 2 & 3 of the grey ISO connector.
I'd already checked that and found the same. Thanks for pointing it out. Are there steering wheel control wires then which connect to the two pins as you've detailed? I thought the SWC was integrated into the CANBUS. Maybe that's only on Facelift models like my Connie.

Dougie.
• 137,000 miles
Old 7th July 2020, 14:14   #8
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

For all models (except the MG Kenwood units), the steering wheel controls are from the stereo to the steering wheel switches, there is no canbus connection.
In the case of the later single DIN units, the cables are on their own in a green mini ISO connector.

The MG Kenwood unit has a 'box' behind the stereo that coverts the infra red signal for the steering wheel control, it has Blue/Purple and Black (which is connected further on to the Blue/Orange) which are the steering wheel control cables, and Light Green/White which is an ignition feed it needs, but is otherwise not needed.

Last edited by raykay; 7th July 2020 at 14:21..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2020, 14:42   #9
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
The MG Kenwood unit has a 'box' behind the stereo that coverts the infra red signal for the steering wheel control, it has Blue/Purple and Black (which is connected further on to the Blue/Orange) which are the steering wheel control cables, and Light Green/White which is an ignition feed it needs, but is otherwise not needed.
That's what my ZT has (I know this because I looked up the numbers on the box). In that case, presumably I can connect the U/P and B wires to pins 2 & 3 on the grey connector and it should work?

Dougie.
• 137,000 miles
Old 7th July 2020, 14:51   #10
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
yes sorry i should have said grey iso connector instead of the 17 pin co395. there are 2 of them the other being for the 8 speaker connections.....