Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st July 2020, 19:58   #21
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

That’s the clutch kit I use 10k later and still a nice soft pedal
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2020, 21:41   #22
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Sounds like a con or they are not sure what they are doing. Avoid them like the plague.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 19:18   #23
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

I work in a garage and we always say two days for a clutch job. It doesn’t take that long, but who knows what could happen. Delays starting often occur, stuck bolts, wrong parts etc.

If I rushed it I could do it in 5 hour, but would you rather the work was rushed or they took time?
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 19:52   #24
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Well if the garage can't determine if the master cylinder is good or not without removing the gearbox I wouldn't be using them.

A simple refill and bleed of the circuit and then disconnecting the quick release connector and pressing the clutch pedal will tell you if the master cylinder has failed or not - the pedal should be rock hard.

Another quick test for determining if the slave cylinder has failed is looking for fluid coming out under the gearbox where it bolts up to the engine.

Don't let them replace the DMF unless they have measured the radial and axial play and it is beyond the wear limits. They usually don't need replacing - my DMF is original at 404k miles.

If you aren't sure about the garage get them to refill and bleed the system and try contacting Phil T4 on here - if the garage he works at will do it then you know you will get a good job, and well worth a trip to Olney.
Your 75 has done 404k miles!?
How many clutches has it had, and what is your most recent clutch/how long has it lasted?

Many clutches fitted to 75’s in the last 5 years have slave cylinder fail soon after
Old 5th July 2020, 22:00   #25
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Well 405k now.

I've driven it from new but it was a company car for the first 118k miles. At around 85k it had clutch hydraulic failure, and then it had two more visits to the garage between 85k and 118k miles for the same thing. At around 130k the clutch hydraulics failed again and this was fixed under warranty - all the work was carried out by two main dealers.

The hydraulics failed again at 286k miles and I replaced the master cylinder seals. The slave went at 299k miles and I replaced it with a LUK one. I also fitted the cheapest friction disc I could find because I thought anything would outlast the hydraulics. I actually fitted the old friction disc that came out to my Freelander when the slave went on that as it was well within the official RAVE wear specifications.

That pretty much brings it up to date, and the system has just started losing fluid again. No signs of any leakage as yet but it will probably be the slave again. I'll change the DMF this time round, as I have a good as new one from a scrapper in the garage, and the original was near its wear limits last time round.

From the start the clutch hydraulics have been a weak point on these cars and they often don't outlast the friction plate, the bit that should wear. I've said it before, but if the brake slave cylinders failed before you got through the first set of pads everyone would be up in arms.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 22:32   #26
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

So you’ve done 100k on the last LUK slave fitted? How long ago was it? Recent LUK’s seem to have a high failure rate?
Old 6th July 2020, 10:10   #27
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Hmm, ask the AA to recover the car to another garage
If it helps, Lates is approx 34 miles away from Kettering.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2020, 18:30   #28
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy90 View Post
So you’ve done 100k on the last LUK slave fitted? How long ago was it? Recent LUK’s seem to have a high failure rate?
Yes and if was replaced in August 2011, so it hasn't lasted too badly compared to some.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote