Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th June 2020, 16:09   #1
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Central locking won't unlock (Tourer)

The car has behaved itself impeccably for the last couple of weeks but today it won't unlock. I've changed the button cell in the fob and the LED is flashing so I'm suspecting the car's battery? It has never opened manually with the key on the drivers door. Are there any other manual locks hidden away? It's an 02 tourer? Reading other threads I found one suggesting hooking the rear light cluster to a 12v dry cell to feed enough power to the system to trip the c/locking actuator. Would a battery charger do the same ........or do permanent damage to a). Me, b). the car? I would rather not break the drivers' door glass to lift the button, to unlock the bonnet, to charge the battery but....... I'm not sure if there is any other option?????

I'm sure there is - please!
Scimdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2020, 19:39   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Can you open the boot/rear door ??---You will need to, to get at the rear light cluster.

Do you have a tow bar? You can put a power supply in through the socket if you have one.

Using a charger is OK. Just make sure you have the leads the correct way round.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2020, 19:43   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

I think I saw a post somewhere where the owner removed the undertray and clipped a 12 volt power supply to the starter motor.------Not tried it myself though.---
Old 26th June 2020, 18:04   #4
Mike2000
Regular poster

Rover 75

Connecting 12 volt to the starter motor works - the AA got me into my car when the battery died, and the drivers door handle was had become disconnected.
Old 26th June 2020, 18:29   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimdaz View Post
Either I'm doing it wrong (although I can't see what there is "wrong" to do) or the fault is elsewhere sadly Mike.
Try putting the earth lead to a metal part of the engine itself.

This will bypass the earth that should be there already in case it's not working. ie .Broken.
Old 26th June 2020, 20:10   #6
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Following Colvert's suggestion I know I had a good earth this time. Clamped onto the bell-housing and when I activated the keyfob the indicators flashed, as they should, but still nothing unlocked. A post on fuses by Dingl200 (apologies if I remember you name incorrectly) says that the central locking on earlier cars (mine is an 02) is controlled by an interior fuse - 14. Surely you would have a split circuit, so they couldn't all die at once - wouldn't you??? Or a failsafe "open" default?

Last edited by Scimdaz; 26th June 2020 at 20:30..
Old 27th June 2020, 08:50   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Bonnet cable access

Hi Darren.
You can access the boot cables from within the OS drivers side wheel arch, drop one of the mods a PM and they will pass on how to do it, personally i think it should now be a sticky.

The only reason its not public is due to security but i doubt anyone is going to bother with our old cars now anyways hopefully you can open the bonnet add a new battery and the doors will open.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2020, 10:12   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Darren.
You can access the boot cables from within the OS drivers side wheel arch, drop one of the mods a PM and they will pass on how to do it, personally i think it should now be a sticky.

The only reason its not public is due to security but i doubt anyone is going to bother with our old cars now anyways hopefully you can open the bonnet add a new battery and the doors will open.
Hi there. I think the OP can't get into the car. Also he's not trying to get into the boot.

He's been trying to get a power supply into the system by going in through the main cable on the starter motor but it doesn't seem to be working for him.

I think it might just come to a blown fuse in the fuse box inside the car. BUT as I said he can't get into the car to replace the door fuse.
Old 27th June 2020, 10:30   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimdaz View Post
The car has behaved itself impeccably for the last couple of weeks but today it won't unlock. I've changed the button cell in the fob and the LED is flashing so
Quote:
I'm suspecting the car's battery?
It has never opened manually with the key on the drivers door. Are there any other manual locks hidden away? It's an 02 tourer? Reading other threads I found one suggesting hooking the rear light cluster to a 12v dry cell to feed enough power to the system to trip the c/locking actuator. Would a battery charger do the same ........or do permanent damage to a). Me, b). the car? I would rather not break the drivers' door glass to lift the button, to unlock the bonnet, to charge the battery but....... I'm not sure if there is any other option?????

I'm sure there is - please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Hi there. I think the OP can't get into the car. Also he's not trying to get into the boot.

He's been trying to get a power supply into the system by going in through the main cable on the starter motor but it doesn't seem to be working for him.

I think it might just come to a blown fuse in the fuse box inside the car. BUT as I said he can't get into the car to replace the door fuse.

Hi Jon.
Yes i know but in his first post he states ( I'm suspecting the car's battery?) therefore if he get the bonnet open, he can add another battery. or put a charger on it.

The front bonnet cables will not open the tail gate on a Tourer.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2020, 10:55   #10
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Darren.

Arctic, was your comment about opening the boot a typo (or autocorrect "helping" you out)? If you mean opening the bonnet - yes I have that info from the subscribers site.

But, as I appear to have power (lights flash when fob is activated) by clamping onto the starter and bellhousing, would a new battery help anyway? If you do mean the boot this would let me climb through and check the fuses, as well as seeing if anything else has gone down - some sort of general BCU failure????