Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th December 2015, 22:40   #1
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

Default New T4 Lite owner / a bit of advice from T4 operators please...

As of today I now have a genuine MGR T4 Lite unit with me, came from a former MGR dealer in France who recently gave up on the business of attending to our cars and gladly let me have it, along with its Latitude D505 laptop which he used with the box, dozens of diagnostics CDs and even some leads from his previous "true" Testbook which had long since gone bust. The whole package was given to me "as is", as it was no longer operational, though the T4 Lite unit itself is perfectly fine.

I'm in the process of setting up the laptop again. Turns out the HDD was busted, had a spare one so setting up XP on it as I'm typing this.

As for the CDs I was given, I have RDS 5.06R (and 5.06L as well), 6.00L which I know is for Land Rovers only, I also have DSTF005 (dated 01/2005) which is I believe the French version of DST0005V (has Diagnostics on it and the whole MGR range of cars including the V8s, and it says French too on it). I also have DST0001A (for reprogramming plips for 25/45/TF), DJR0008N (which I have no clue what it's for) and various CDs of various versions dating all the way back to the first Testbook of 1995, approx. 50 CDs alltogether, for both Rover/MG and Land Rover.

Now questions please, for Phil-T4, marinabrian, and the likes:
- if I post a full list of the various CD names I have, would you be so kind as to help me identify what they're for, when not so obvious, and whether they are of any use with T4 Lite?
- as for the setup of RDS 5.06, am I right to say that the USB drivers for the Lite box are included in the RDS setup? They seem to be for the Mobile handheld tester but not so sure for the Lite unit.
- does the RDS 5.06 setup have a user guide for the Lite unit, meaning which button to press for which car, and the likes...obviously the numbers on it refer to the 'full' T4 leads naming scheme or leads combination, but what of the other buttons? Or do you have a "quick reference guide" that I could use?
- apart from RDS 5.06 and DST0005V, any other useful CD for everyday use, so to speak? I have yet to identify DRE0008Y among my stock which is for the older cars, though I have other means of getting to it anyway. But since T4 Lite only has a J1962 connector, that disc wouldn't be of much use for pre-1995 cars that don't have it, right? Or does an 3-pin adapter exist to connect to older diag bus?

Oh, and for those who might wonder, I have no intention of becoming a T4 operator for the club or a trader of any sort, I intend to learn how to use it for the basic diag stuff, dealer options settings, and the likes, no fuzzy business such as ZCS code changing and the likes, at least not in the immediate future...
So there's no "business competition" here
Once familiar with it I intend to offer its services for free to the members of the French Rover Club...

Thanks fellows
Old 10th December 2015, 07:35   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoubix View Post
As of today I now have a genuine MGR T4 Lite unit with me, came from a former MGR dealer in France who recently gave up on the business of attending to our cars and gladly let me have it, along with its Latitude D505 laptop which he used with the box, dozens of diagnostics CDs and even some leads from his previous "true" Testbook which had long since gone bust. The whole package was given to me "as is", as it was no longer operational, though the T4 Lite unit itself is perfectly fine.

I'm in the process of setting up the laptop again. Turns out the HDD was busted, had a spare one so setting up XP on it as I'm typing this.

As for the CDs I was given, I have RDS 5.06R (and 5.06L as well), 6.00L which I know is for Land Rovers only, I also have DSTF005 (dated 01/2005) which is I believe the French version of DST0005V (has Diagnostics on it and the whole MGR range of cars including the V8s, and it says French too on it). I also have DST0001A (for reprogramming plips for 25/45/TF), DJR0008N (which I have no clue what it's for) and various CDs of various versions dating all the way back to the first Testbook of 1995, approx. 50 CDs alltogether, for both Rover/MG and Land Rover.

Now questions please, for Phil-T4, marinabrian, and the likes:
- if I post a full list of the various CD names I have, would you be so kind as to help me identify what they're for, when not so obvious, and whether they are of any use with T4 Lite?
- as for the setup of RDS 5.06, am I right to say that the USB drivers for the Lite box are included in the RDS setup? They seem to be for the Mobile handheld tester but not so sure for the Lite unit.
- does the RDS 5.06 setup have a user guide for the Lite unit, meaning which button to press for which car, and the likes...obviously the numbers on it refer to the 'full' T4 leads naming scheme or leads combination, but what of the other buttons? Or do you have a "quick reference guide" that I could use?
- apart from RDS 5.06 and DST0005V, any other useful CD for everyday use, so to speak? I have yet to identify DRE0008Y among my stock which is for the older cars, though I have other means of getting to it anyway. But since T4 Lite only has a J1962 connector, that disc wouldn't be of much use for pre-1995 cars that don't have it, right? Or does an 3-pin adapter exist to connect to older diag bus?

Oh, and for those who might wonder, I have no intention of becoming a T4 operator for the club or a trader of any sort, I intend to learn how to use it for the basic diag stuff, dealer options settings, and the likes, no fuzzy business such as ZCS code changing and the likes, at least not in the immediate future...
So there's no "business competition" here
Once familiar with it I intend to offer its services for free to the members of the French Rover Club...

Thanks fellows
Morning Nicolas,
after a reinstall of XP and all drivers, you must set the drive extension of your CD drive to Z:
RDS5.06R can then be installed, followed by the LANGMAP UPDATES on DST0001U, and DXT0002W.

This will allow RDS to operate successfully with DSTF005

The Configuration button on the T4 main menu will lead to a set of further sub menus one marked Comms SetUp, within this sub menu is a choice of Docking station, and J2534 Module.

J2534 Module is T4 Lite, and must be selected to point RDS toward the T4 Lite hardware as opposed to the DTC4002 docking station

There are further setup procedures required, however if you drop me a PM, I'll talk you through the finer points, as it is a bit more involved than I'm prepared to go into on a public forum

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 09:04   #3
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

Thanks Brian,

I already knew about the Z: drive thingy, still in the process of upgrading XP with latest service pack and updates, before setting up RDS 5.06. I will also create a dual-boot setup so I can boot into RDS 7.06L for Land Rover use.

Further exchange through PM

Cheers
Nicolas
Old 10th December 2015, 10:52   #4
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
I run XP service pack 2 on mine, as its never connected to the internet there's probably little point of going to service pack 3.
So far I've not delved too far in and will most likely only use it for myself anyway.
I've had a bit of fun with adding and removing options and digging up the cars past.
Good luck with your T4, your also going to get brilliant help from Brian just like he has helped me out, he's a credit to the club and its members
Old 12th December 2015, 01:28   #5
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Well, thanks to the good advice provided by Brian, and some patience setting up the whole thing, my T4 is now operational, and tested on my car
Now waiting for the RAM upgrade I ordered with the laptop, it only has 128MB of RAM at the moment and the thing is swapping to the hard drive constantly
Old 12th December 2015, 13:07   #6
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Time to have a play

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2020, 19:21   #7
Gijzzy

Mini

Hello, this is my first post here on this forum and hoping it more life than other T4 topics on other forums. I have got a working Land Rover T4 unit and hoping I can convert a XP computer to Rover T4 and need some help. Is this the right topic for it or is there a dedicated T4 topic I am missing? Thanks in advanced.
Gijzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:55   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijzzy View Post
Hello, this is my first post here on this forum and hoping it more life than other T4 topics on other forums. I have got a working Land Rover T4 unit and hoping I can convert a XP computer to Rover T4 and need some help. Is this the right topic for it or is there a dedicated T4 topic I am missing? Thanks in advanced.
The same or similar question is being asked below, to a T4 Guru if you follow you may find your answer.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=305884

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote