Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th August 2015, 13:37   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Sunroof fitted roof skins

Does anyone know if the roof skins fitted to our cars are exactly the same apart from the sunroof cut out on the sunroof fitted models, or are the sunroof roof skins completely different fron the non-sunroof skins?

Reason i ask is when condensation or frost builds up on the roof you can see the outline of where the sunroof would have been if it were fitted. This makes me wonder if the hole for the sunroof is marked out under the roof skin and it was only cut out on cars with the sunroof option ticked? Also, would whatever the sunroof is mounted to on a oem sunroof fitted model be there on a non sunroof fitted model?

I know one difference is that the cut out for the sunroof on oem models is folded in which i assume is to stop water running back along the roof and leaking into the headlining?

Just a thought

Does anyone have any pictures of the underside of the roof skin with the headlining taken down on a sunroof and non sunroof model to compare the difference?

Rick
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 15:01   #2
Organiser
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Hi Rick,

Having worked in most of the UK's car factories the sunroof roof skin panel would be a different panel from the non sunroof skin panel.

They stamp out a different roof skin for each one!

Tom.
Old 9th August 2015, 15:54   #3
190SETOURING
Posted a thing or two

MG ZTT 180se,MG ZT 260se Monogram

Your gonna have to sell it Rick and buy one with a sunroof all 3 of mine have the factory glass roof and wouldnt be without them. Just love the sun shining through.🌞🌞
190SETOURING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 15:56   #4
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

The skins are different as the sunroof one has a hole in it They all have the same framework underneath which is why you get the outline
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 16:04   #5
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool

Great minds bud...http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=223202

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 16:09   #6
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Quote:
Hi Rick,

Having worked in most of the UK's car factories the sunroof roof skin panel would be a different panel from the non sunroof skin panel.

They stamp out a different roof skin for each one!

Tom.
Cheers Tom I've seen the two different roof skin part numbers on rimmers, one for non sunroof and one for sunroof which are still available . but just wondering how different the roof skins are from each other apart from there being a hole for the sunroof in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190SETOURING View Post
Your gonna have to sell it Rick and buy one with a sunroof all 3 of mine have the factory glass roof and wouldnt be without them. Just love the sun shining through.����
You make me more and more jealous everytime I speak to you lol 3 fantastic monogram cars all with sunroofs!

My dad's first 75 had a sunroof and unfortunately both of ours now dont have one. I really miss it. Unfortunately I really wanted a typhoon diesel but have never come across one for sale with a sunroof fitted. The only typhoon diesel i have come across is a cat b breaker being sold for parts on ebay

Quote:
The skins are different as the sunroof one has a hole in it They all have the same framework underneath which is why you get the outline
I thought something was different . so other than the hole in the roof, the rest of the roof is exactly the same? in which case (in theory) the mountings are already in place for a sunroof to be fitted to and it would just be a case of cutting a hole out for the sunroof and then making some sort of lip which the OEM cut outs have?

I think cutting the hole for the sunroof wouldn't be to bad as long as i can find a professional garage to do it, but need to know if the mountings are in place for the sunroof mechanism on a non sunroof roof skin without trying to pull my roof lining off to have a look
Old 9th August 2015, 16:11   #7
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post
I posted this thread after seeing your post the ideas been on my mind for a couple of weeks now after seeing what a full sunroof mechanism looks like

Cheers for the info so far guys it's just an idea im playing around with at the moment, I've not got a grinder in my hand all set to go lol
Old 9th August 2015, 16:17   #8
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

I've broken a few but never looked at whether the mounting holes are there..................I'm sure they are though.
I think it would be easier to unpick a roof skin from a sunroof car and fit it to yours rather than try & cut a hole & form a lip without making the roof rippled......................it does mean cutting the front & rear screens out though. Corin Messenger fitted a factory sunroof to another member's car a few years back, there's a thread on it if you do a search.
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 16:27   #9
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
I've broken a few but never looked at whether the mounting holes are there..................I'm sure they are though.
I think it would be easier to unpick a roof skin from a sunroof car and fit it to yours rather than try & cut a hole & form a lip without making the roof rippled......................it does mean cutting the front & rear screens out though. Corin Messenger fitted a factory sunroof to another member's car a few years back, there's a thread on it if you do a search.
If you break another one, would you be able to let me know if the mountings are there on a non sunroof model please?

I've seen the one he did for Falkon Flyer (I think) but that seems like a lot of work and you'd need a welder to do it as well plus it looks like some of the roof may need a respray too after the job.

What i had in mind was to find a professional to cut the hole in my roof, and then use some sort of rubber seal along the cut which would act as the lip on the OEM sunroof skin. Theres quite a few places not too far from me who fit aftermarket sunroofs to cars, so was thinking of popping down to one of them and asking if they'd be willing to cut the hole out for me. Worse they can say is no Plus those who fit aftermarket sunroofs must have to do something similar when they fit aftermarket sunroofs.
Old 9th August 2015, 21:40   #10
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old. This may be the better forum as things get 'buried' very quickly in the General Forum.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote