Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th February 2020, 20:51   #1
Steve_warner

Mg zt

Default Newbie fuel gauge help

Right, Iv bought my zt 2.5 v6 off a member on here, the fuel gauge seems to read what it likes, some times it reads near full then next time I get in it, it reads under half. Now he mentioned somthing about a orange clip on a recall. Is their any one on here who's got a idiots guide on how to check for the fault. I'm good with machanical bits but no good with electrical.
I'm located in Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire if anyone is local who knows what their doing
Sorry if this has been discussed before
Steve_warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 08:05   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_warner View Post
Right, Iv bought my zt 2.5 v6 off a member on here, the fuel gauge seems to read what it likes, some times it reads near full then next time I get in it, it reads under half. Now he mentioned somthing about a orange clip on a recall. Is their any one on here who's got a idiots guide on how to check for the fault. I'm good with machanical bits but no good with electrical.
I'm located in Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire if anyone is local who knows what their doing
Sorry if this has been discussed before
This certainly has been discussed before, just one of the many posts: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...=262166&page=2
Best you can do is search yourself in the search toolbar.

The orange (or white) clip has nothing to do with the fuel gauge, it's a recommended fix to prevent the fuel filter unscrewing on later model cars. Again try the search.

You could do much worse than attend one of these meets: http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/meets_2014.html where there are a host of knowledgeable guys who can fix just about anything.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 08:07   #3
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

I think the orange clip referred to is to prevent fuel filter separation (FFS) aka the Fabled Orange Clip or FOC -in later petrol cars the fuel filter can come apart leading to non starting - the solution is to bind the filter with a clip ( originally orange).

So your issue re the gauge reading is not linked to the clip - it sounds like there is a fault in the fuel tank sensors/floats.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 09:14   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_warner View Post
Now he mentioned somthing about a orange clip on a recall. Is their any one on here who's got a idiots guide on how to check for the fault.
The Famous Orange Clip (the FOC) was developed late in the day by MGR to fix a big problem with post-2001 petrol models. These have a screw-together fuel filter module that tends to separate over time. It can happen any time, anywhere and will prevent the engine from starting due to low fuel delivery pressure. The FOC holds the module together and eliminates Fuel Filter Syndrome (FFS). There are dozens of threads which can be found by using the acronyms in the Google search box at the top of each page.

Here's the MGR Technical Tip covering the issue: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dwu9ob...%2529.pdf/file

The filter is inside the fuel tank on the LHS. To access thia you have to lift the rear seat cushion. This in itseft can be a chore, but there are helpful tips. You'll find some in Post 3 here: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for....php?p=2531165

There's a screw-down hatch in the floor that gives access to the filter module. Info on getting the module out and most importantly, refitting it correctly is given here: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=58832
and here: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=9108

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 1st March 2020 at 09:20..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 18:20   #5
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

There's a level float in both sides of the tank. One on the pump module (RHS) and one on the filter module (LHS). They each send a level signal to the ECU which integrates them into a tank content signal for the fuel gauge. A common cause of faulty readings is through work being done in the tank (like replacing the fuel pump). This sometimes causes the float arm to be installed incorrectly so it binds/sticks.
You may get a clue as to which float unit is faulty by running the IPK diagnostic mode. sEE link below for instructions to run the vehicle diagnostics.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...iagnostic+mode

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:59   #6
Steve_warner

Mg zt

Thanks for the info people. Il try the trip diagnostic later on when I finish work. Thanks again
Old 2nd March 2020, 09:55   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

More on tank diagnostics. This is a copy/paste of my standard response:

The tank is divided by a central ridge and fuel is drawn from the drivers side by the pump module. The high pressure fuel flow is divided and operates two venturi (static) pumps within the tank, which distribute the contents to ensure the supply to the pump inlet is maintained at all times. There is a float level sender in both sides of the tank - one on the pump module and one on the filter unit. The gauge integrates their signls to display the net contents. Erratic gauge output may be due to erratic floats. If one or both has been disturbed when the pump and/or filter module has been serviced, it is difficult to get the floats repositioned right. This may cause binding in certain positions. The floats operate a rheostat with a linear resistance value against float level. You can check the float resistances using an ohm meter. There's a connector socket under the rear seat, driver's side. This diagram may help.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 14:55   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

And if you have difficulty in viewing T-Cut's image - here's an unchained version:

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2020, 20:46   #9
Steve_warner

Mg zt

I have a multi meter that my dad gave me a while ago, it looks a decent one. Il get a pic of it soon so someone can show me which setting I need to use. Sorry if I sound stupid lol
Old 5th March 2020, 16:08   #10
Steve_warner

Mg zt

Right Iv done the diagnostic check on the dash and it came up as 6.2 ___0229
So I'm assuming it means the n/s float has a fault