Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th April 2015, 21:19   #11
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

I know the MG3 and MG6 aren't what a lot of members here would like to see from MG. I feel the same about new Jags, lost all their style and class. But, to be a viable business, the designs need to move with the times. They're not just trying to survive, they're trying to start up, they can't afford to be daring or drastically different. They need their designs to be simple, non-offensive, priced competitively.

Dropping the saloon is a shame, I prefer saloons personally. Dropping the petrol engine does also seem strange, but then again, with the reputation of the K-series, and the N-series apparently being essentially the same, maybe they feel this link is harming sales? Maybe they've found they in fact haven't fixed the head gasket issues and are quietly getting rid of it?

They aren't MG's of old, but if you want to be pedantic, neither are the ZT's.

They may now be owned by China, but Jaguar are no longer British either, I believe they were still designed by the team at Longbridge? They are at least part assembled at Longbridge, so in my eyes, not drastically different to Jaguar.

Built quality might not be great, with cheap plastics etc, but from the little I've seen of modern cars, in that price range, they're not especially bad. You do get a lot of toys for the money.

Give them a chance.

Sorry for the rant but I do get bored of people going on about how they're not proper MG's etc. They're not supposed to be.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 21:48   #12
hogesar
Avid contributor

MG ZT MK2 V6 190 XPG

Quite like the mg6 and having viewed one in detail its a huge amount of car for your money.

Also, mg were never known for high quality interiors. What I can say is the quality is a million miles aahead of a zr tf or zs.

IT & Digital Marketing, Software Solutions and Hardware Support.
hogesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 22:06   #13
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Derrick, its not quite that simple, sadly all MG enthusiasts are not all going to agree.

All vehicle manufactures, even motorbikes will have history regarding their models and design. Designers and engineers from every generation have put their dreams on paper for years, you can always tell a certain manufactures vehicle from another by certain design characteristics.

In this modern world we live in now, nearly all cars look the same, but when looked at closely you can still tell which is a Ford, Vauxhall, BMW etc.

A manufactures platform model car will always have characteristics from its model range and its early predecessor, a bit like a family with all the same family similarities.

You will always get people who will buy the same car manufacture brand as this is what they like, or are use to. When a car brand changes dramatically such as MG have done, it goes without saying (the brand in question will have to work extremely hard to win their customers back).

This is how some of us feel, the new MG design is a bit hard to swallow. Its not a case of MG's of old, its all about quality which these new cars do not have (in my opinion). MG could have easily used that distinctive MG design and took it to a whole new modern level and still hit todays market.

Just take a look at Ford and see how well they are doing regarding design, you can still tell its a Ford and their quality has hugely improved (better than ever before).

Last edited by Dallas; 11th April 2015 at 22:09..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 23:08   #14
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

I kinda get what you're saying. A ford mondeo is recognisable on the road as a mondeo, as is an insignia etc. But to me there is nothing in any of them, apart from the badge, that is could be picked out as being from a car around 15 years ago. People are often comparing the design of the MG6 to the 75/ZT. Compare a new mondeo or similar to the 15 year old equivelant, and there are no similarities (in my opinion). But even if there were, they are the same companies, under the same ownership. The Jag XF has none of the styling of the XJ6, the only similarities to me are that it has glass for windows and 4 wheels.

But again, with the reputation the company had, maybe they want to get away from being recognisable and traceable back to those roots. There's no getting away from the fact that a lot of people are still of the opinion ALL rovers are rubbish and will suffer daily headgasket failures. Once they're a bit more established maybe they'll start taking a few more risks and take design influence from classics. There were some fairly interesting photos of an MGB inspired 4x4 type of thing, a bit like a range rover evoque but not as hideous. Not my type of car but did look quite a good modern twist on a classic design.

I personally treat the MG6 and MG3, as being a new company, just using an old name.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 01:12   #15
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 07:19   #16
Alan_G
Posted a thing or two

MG3

The new company is what it is. I bought a 3 and I love it.

One thing I will say is that the 3 is bringing in a whole host of younger people to the brand. They are then joining the register and getting the safety fast mag etc and learning about the classics. There are active forums and groups containing owners who own and want all sorts of MGs as well as their 3 or 6.

I think it works in that respect that in brings in fresh enthusiasts who will keep things like ZTs as classics in the future.

Unfortunately the demise of MG Rover happened. We can't turn back time and for some that was the end of the marque.

I wasn't sure of the new company but for now I am happy to give them a chance.
Alan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 13:56   #17
obidiah-jones

none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBJM View Post
Hate it. Has no relevance to MG or British motoring heritage other than the badge, which was bought. Genuinely sorry to any MG6 or 3 owners on here but to me it's a far-eastern facsimile of any other far-eastern car.
The Rover 75 and MG ZT were the last cars worthy of the badge, and when mine finally dies I will replace her with an Alfa, Beemer, Merc or Jag... Second hand...
Build me a new MG7 and I might be tempted. Don't offer me a car I might confuse with a Kia.
Isn't it amazing how people consider "their" MG badged car worthy of the badge but nothing that comes after it. What makes your rover 75 estate with an MG badge slapped on it built in an old Austin factory any more a MG than a 6 or a 3.
obidiah-jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 16:00   #18
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by obidiah-jones View Post
Isn't it amazing how people consider "their" MG badged car worthy of the badge but nothing that comes after it. What makes your rover 75 estate with an MG badge slapped on it built in an old Austin factory any more a MG than a 6 or a 3.
Heritage, history. Early M.G.s were modified Morris Cowleys and CK saw the potential for making a sporting version of a run-of-the-mill car back in 1922 with the 14/40 tourer. ZRs, ZSs and ZTs continued the theme, although they are not the first to be frowned upon by the M.G. enthusiast, I think this accolade goes to the very large M.G. SA built between 1935 and 1939.

I have a "real" M.G., a 1970 MGB Roadster - automatic too so now quite rare, but I would argue that my late ZT is more of an M.G. than my B is as it follows CK's original thoughts of modifying an existing version of a "family" saloon, of course the 75. The V8s even more so. These SAICs are nothing of the sort, they are family cars. Where's the coupe, the roadster, the sporting saloon? The uprated improved version?

They are a poor representation of what M.G. is about, that is why they are frowned upon.

CK must be turning in his grave God Bless him.

M.G. RIP 2005.

Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 18:58   #19
Dart2050
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connie SE CDTI Tourer, MGF and Triumph Bonneville America

Well there has been some interesting and different opinions on this thread.
I am sure many of us wish MG Rover had not failed and that a worthy successor to the ZT or 75 had become available. I sometimes wonder what it may have looked like and fancy somewhere between an Audi A6 or Jag XF possibly.
I first sat in an MG6 at a local long established MG dealers. They are highly thought of in Gloucestershire having supplied and serviced MG's since the beginning and saw no problem running a new MG franchise alongside their Citroen franchise. I must say at that time I didn't like the 6 for similar reasons already mentioned by others on here.
However I recently became interested in their value for money and decided to buy and run one as a second car for a while. I have changed my opinion !
The 6 May not be a ZT replacement (and I don't think IT is meant to be) but it is a well built car designed at least at Longbridge and does offer excellent value for money. Mine is black Magnette (saloon) with the turbo charged petrol N series engine. The beyond quality is not poor! It is good and better than a many of its contemporaries. Build quality, switchgear etc is stacks better than your old ZR, ZS, TF etc. AND everything works. Mine is SE trim and has many things I wouldn't expect including cruise control, front and rear sensors, SatNav etc. It is comfortable, rides over potholes much better than my Focus and handles really well. True there is a bit of turbo lag but you soon get used to it and allow for it with a lighter right foot. AND it is sufficiently different to gets looks! In fact I and my family like it so much I have decided to sell it to buy a newer 6 with hatch in burnt orange. So, if anyone fancies a look at mine come and see it for yourself on our club stand at Pride of Longbridge this coming Saturday.
Dart2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 18:29   #20
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

As I've said previously, if SAIC hadn't "bought" the MG Brand and badged the cars as SAIC's (which is what they are) they wouldn't even be mentioned on this Forum!.....
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote