Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th July 2015, 19:35   #1
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

04 MG ZT+ 190 XPG & 99 (T) Dealer Launch 75 V6 Connie Auto

Default Brake problem!

This evening I was taking my daughter home and as I slowed from 30 to a stop to turn into her street there was a juddering coming through the brake pedal accompanied by a grinding noise. It was as if the ABS was trying to cut in, but no sign of any ABS light on the dash. Also the braking efficiency is not greatly affected, it still stops pretty quickly.
I stopped outside her house, checked the fluid level and all was well. Also none of the pads are low. The front discs and pads have done about 3k since I last replaced them and the rears are fine also. The grinding noise appears to be coming from the pedal area not the discs etc.
I am thinking it maybe an ABS reluctor ring. However, anyone else have any other suggestions?
As a precaution I left my car there as the drive home involves 6 miles of dual carriageway and didn't fancy my chances if I had to stop quickly from 70mph!

Upgrades/Mods so far:
Custom Angel Eye DRL's, MG7 Rear lights, Custom Door Cards, MGR Plates, Red Alcantara Seats, Black Oak Dash, Powerflex bushes, Plenum Spy Mod, Rear Light Seals, 5000K HID Kit, Navall 3 DD, Blue LED Conversion, Custom badges, Union badges, Flip key. Working on more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
daznkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 20:27   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daznkel View Post
This evening I was taking my daughter home and as I slowed from 30 to a stop to turn into her street there was a juddering coming through the brake pedal accompanied by a grinding noise. It was as if the ABS was trying to cut in, but no sign of any ABS light on the dash. Also the braking efficiency is not greatly affected, it still stops pretty quickly.
I stopped outside her house, checked the fluid level and all was well. Also none of the pads are low. The front discs and pads have done about 3k since I last replaced them and the rears are fine also. The grinding noise appears to be coming from the pedal area not the discs etc.
I am thinking it maybe an ABS reluctor ring. However, anyone else have any other suggestions?
As a precaution I left my car there as the drive home involves 6 miles of dual carriageway and didn't fancy my chances if I had to stop quickly from 70mph!
I think turning the corner is the key statement.... check for a momentary connection in the ABS sensor cable... any signs of twisting or damage... I think as you turned the wheel the connection was lost for a second due to the cable being broken or damaged internally, when you straightened up all was ok again?

I would get a new sensor & cable and fit it...
Old 26th July 2015, 20:37   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I have changed a few rear wheel bearings due to this.
Old 26th July 2015, 20:44   #4
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

The ABS light only comes on if theres a fault - not if it cuts in generally.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 21:02   #5
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy-dials.com View Post
I think turning the corner is the key statement.... check for a momentary connection in the ABS sensor cable... any signs of twisting or damage... I think as you turned the wheel the connection was lost for a second due to the cable being broken or damaged internally, when you straightened up all was ok again?

I would get a new sensor & cable and fit it...
Thanks for the reply. Maybe my statement was a bit misleading. I was braking on a straight, to a stop before turning right. That said I will check for continuity tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I have changed a few rear wheel bearings due to this.
Ah ok. I would have naturally assumed that is was the fronts. But will bear this in mind. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
The ABS light only comes on if theres a fault - not if it cuts in generally.
Ok. Thank you!

Upgrades/Mods so far:
Custom Angel Eye DRL's, MG7 Rear lights, Custom Door Cards, MGR Plates, Red Alcantara Seats, Black Oak Dash, Powerflex bushes, Plenum Spy Mod, Rear Light Seals, 5000K HID Kit, Navall 3 DD, Blue LED Conversion, Custom badges, Union badges, Flip key. Working on more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 26th July 2015, 22:21   #6
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

When changing my front sensor a few weeks back (light on) I found it pulled tight and wrapped around the droplink.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 22:25   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If it only happened the once then you may have been braking over spilt diesel or something similar, and the ABS was just doing its job.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 22:52   #8
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
If it only happened the once then you may have been braking over spilt diesel or something similar, and the ABS was just doing its job.
I took it for a tentative run before I left it and it happened every time I braked. Initially all seems ok then as speed reduces, the juddering starts.

I replaced the front NS complete strut on Friday as the hub was whurring. But all has been well until now (over 250 miles)!

More than likely, a duff cable or the reluctor ring has picked up some metallic crud from somewhere.

It is going to a friends garage tomorrow as I need to go to Bristol. Got to drive a Ford F***us instead of my ZT now!

Upgrades/Mods so far:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]