Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th November 2009, 16:09   #1
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Default Insurance clame surprise

Something i did not know my mate had his car door hit by a woman opening her door in tesco, after the woman gave a load of verbal to him, he contacted the law and insurance company both said nothing we can do it's knock for knock and is private property. and i know this for a fact (as i have) if you hit a car parked on yellow lines it is deamed there fault because they are illegaly parked (so dont park on yellow's) and if you put modifacation's on the car without informing the insurance company and have a accident your insurance is void, as you have not informed the company to the mods. even the makers name on the reg plate must be visable,as this is a offence not to and a £60 fine me thinks.
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 16:39   #2
whyte850
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 Connoisser SE 2.0 L V6 Auto and 1950 Rover P4 75 Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmrudragon View Post
Something i did not know my mate had his car door hit by a woman opening her door in tesco, after the woman gave a load of verbal to him, he contacted the law and insurance company both said nothing we can do it's knock for knock and is private property. and i know this for a fact (as i have) if you hit a car parked on yellow lines it is deamed there fault because they are illegaly parked (so dont park on yellow's) and if you put modifacation's on the car without informing the insurance company and have a accident your insurance is void, as you have not informed the company to the mods. even the makers name on the reg plate must be visable,as this is a offence not to and a £60 fine me thinks.
It just shows you how carefull you have to be, as it stands I would be liable to pay the £60 fine for the number plate fault

2019 Seat Mii Design

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6

2006 Renault Twingo MK1 LHD

1971 Fiat 850 Sport Coupe (Restoration project)
whyte850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 16:41   #3
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

In regard to the supermaket car park... yes, it is private property, but it's accessible to the public, so the insurance is still valid. Same applies to the M6 toll road.

Think about it... if private property isn't covered, then whenever you park your car on your driveway, it would be uninsured...

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive

Last edited by calibrax; 27th November 2009 at 16:44..
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 19:50   #4
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

On a supermarket car park you are not required to have insurance by law. as cwmrudragon was told by the law and the insurance company "Nothing to do with us". End of story.

RTA 1988 sec 143 states you must have insurance in a public place or a highway. A supermarket car park is open to the public but it is private property. It is neither a public place or a highway.

Wherever the law states you have to have insurance, an insurance company cannot say "You are not covered" if the law says you are.

If an insurance company says "You are not covered" then you have no insurance, and do not need it by law, whether you have a valid policy or not.

M6 Toll is privately owned but it is a highway, and a highway rquires insurance by law

Last edited by Devilish; 27th November 2009 at 20:06..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 19:56   #5
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
On a supermarket car park you are not required to have insurance by law.

RTA 1988 sec 143 states you must have insurance in a public place. A supermarket car park is open to the public but it is private property

Wherever the law states you have to have insurance, an insurance company cannot say "You are not covered" if the law says you are.

If an insurance company says "You are not covered" then you have no insurance, and do not need it by law, whether you pay them or not.
Any place accessible to the general public is defined as a public place. So regardless of the land being privately owned, the fact that other members of the public can access it means you have to have insurance by law. Believe me, there is plenty of case law on this.

Old 27th November 2009, 19:59   #6
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
On a supermarket car park you are not required to have insurance by law.

RTA 1988 sec 143 states you must have insurance in a public place. A supermarket car park is open to the public but it is private property
Steve, you have a PM.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 20:10   #7
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Steve, you have a PM.
No I haven't...

Old 27th November 2009, 20:12   #8
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrax View Post
No I haven't...
Other Steve,Steve as in Devilish
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 20:17   #9
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
On a supermarket car park you are not required to have insurance by law. as cwmrudragon was told by the law and the insurance company "Nothing to do with us". End of story.
No. The police will not get involved in a minor incident like that where no crime has been committed. And the insurance company was in error.

Think about how many incidents there must be in UK supermarket car parks... if these weren't covered, there would be a thriving market in additional insurance policies to cover you for this. These insurance guys wouldn't miss a money making trick like that now, would they?

Old 27th November 2009, 21:22   #10
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

So if my car gets whammy'd by some dimwit with their car door, and the law and the insurance company say "Nothing to do with us" it is private property, you can take the insurance company to court to pay up for gross ********

This is indeed great news, sometimes it is great to be wrong

So it is supermarkets r us over christmas for me, I do hope someone hits my rear bumper, it so needs a re spray (no joke)

Last edited by Devilish; 27th November 2009 at 21:27..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote