Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th August 2019, 13:42   #31
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

I agree, I presume it's Harry B you're talking about, lots of people taking shopping trolleys full of spares.
Old 18th August 2019, 14:24   #32
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

Lovely car John, my dad was into Austin's, from memory 4 Austin 7's, Austin 10, Austin 12/4 Harley and an Austin Chalfont (my favourite). Lost my dad 7 years ago and still miss him, a font of knowledge.
Old 18th August 2019, 14:40   #33
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

On my trips to africa and the middle east that's certainly true. There's all manner of vehicles on the road in those countries, that we might politely describe as ' beyond economic use'

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:39   #34
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
On my trips to africa and the middle east that's certainly true. There's all manner of vehicles on the road in those countries, that we might politely describe as ' beyond economic use'

Of course the reason it is economically viable in these countries to keep old vehicles on the road for so long is that those undertaking the work are often very poorly paid in relative terms. So labour is relatively cheap which means that workshops will often make up panels and structural components as necessary.

The same is true of India - it has been said that an Indian can keep a car or motorcycle running longer than most. Some of us continue this tradition despite labour costs in Suffolk not being quite the same as in the Punjab.

My Omega will be 20 years old in September.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:05   #35
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
..........Of course the reason it is economically viable in these countries to keep old vehicles on the road for so long is that those undertaking the work are often very poorly paid in relative terms...........
Those other countries also have less control/restrictions therefore less cost necessary for the owners. I doubt many get given reasons by their insurance companies to replace and not repair, if they have insurance.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:04   #36
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Those other countries also have less control/restrictions therefore less cost necessary for the owners. I doubt many get given reasons by their insurance companies to replace and not repair, if they have insurance.

Actually, most do not have insurance. Do we really want to be in that situation?
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:39   #37
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I have been reading through most of this thread (skipped 1or2 pages). As I see it, the EU has been aiming to drive up the living standards of the vast majority (ideally all) Europeans, partly because wars between European countries have all had an economic imbalance or interference component. In doing that, they legislate for common, HIGH standards from all producers, and that also includes humane conditions and welfare for animal production. While we may feel aggrieved that industries are being moved from the industrially advanced northern countries to the previously impoverished southern and eastern new members, we benefit from being able to chose from a huge range of products, made to high standards, at prices that we in the north, would struggle to match. It is only reasonable that to maintain these high quality standards, agreed between its members, of which we are one of the most important, the EU has to protect itself from cheap imports from outside the EU, which do not pay the costs for regulated quality or workers conditions. Given the option on the shelves of EU humanely produced chicken and good quality car parts, or cheaper US chlorinated chicken and cheap car parts of unregulated quality, too many of us will choose the cheaper option. Unlike some of the paranoid, EU Devil-haters who rant on here, I accept that the EU is an imperfect organisation, but not because it has some evil, unstated ulterior motive, but that it, like us, is human, and makes mistakes in its efforts to improve the lives and conditions of the vast majority of its citizens. Within any organisation, there are the usurpers, the lazy, the self-centred, and the crooks. But the majority that I hear appear to be well-meaning, hard working people, who are trying to produce a group of nations, running with smooth, borderless, trade synchronisation, to maximise their efficiency and competitiveness, while maintaining standards, in a dog-eat-dog world, controlled by multinationals backed by their respective governments. As one of the richest nations in the world, never mind the EU, we may expect to pay "more than our fair share" for some time into the future for the peace and prosperity we continue to enjoy, and for the administration that it takes to run it. The EU has invested heavily in run-down areas of our country that successive governments neglected. It is a sad irony that our current prime minister, Farage and others promoted the lie that the EU was responsible for this poverty. But Cameron was hardly about to claim it as his fault, through his "austerity for some" (so we can spend it in the south), or that if we had spent money on both immigration officers, and a computer system that worked, for them, we might have avoided a problem that has already wasted billions in lost investment, and preparation, but will continue to cost way more in lost profit on trade, and the unnecessary, costly administration of it, let alone the further social costs of low wages, unemployment, and a conservative government that has done nothing to resolve the resentment that caused this whole unhappy fiasco - the fundamental and increasing inequality between rich and poor. Even having only the 23rd highest per capita GDP in the world is no excuse, - people will only work harder if they can enjoy the fruits of their labour. We should be ashamed of the state of our poor, and our general social disintegration. Personally, I trust our European leaders far more than our own, of almost any complexion, to produce a peaceful and prosperous society over the whole of Europe. I don't expect much more than a tirade of abuse for daring to express my opinions but someone needs to bring some balance to the carefully selective, slanted, and often untrue assertions bandied about on this forum. On the future of cars? A final date for the purchase of new IC engined vehicles needs to be implemented soon, with, say, a 15 year period in which to switch completely to non-fossil fueled alternatives. And as I have said before, manufacturers should be designing their current IC models to be convertable with ease, to other, non- fossil fueled propulsion. Once we aren't using oil as fuel, the virgin plastic byproduct will become (hopefully) more expensive than the recycled variety, so we can stop that pollution as well. Where there's a will there's a way.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2019, 13:14   #38
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
I have been reading through most of this thread (skipped 1or2 pages). As I see it, the EU has been aiming to drive up the living standards of the vast majority (ideally all) Europeans, partly because wars between European countries have all had an economic imbalance or interference component. In doing that, they legislate for common, HIGH standards from all producers, and that also includes humane conditions and welfare for animal production. While we may feel aggrieved that industries are being moved from the industrially advanced northern countries to the previously impoverished southern and eastern new members, we benefit from being able to chose from a huge range of products, made to high standards, at prices that we in the north, would struggle to match. It is only reasonable that to maintain these high quality standards, agreed between its members, of which we are one of the most important, the EU has to protect itself from cheap imports from outside the EU, which do not pay the costs for regulated quality or workers conditions. Given the option on the shelves of EU humanely produced chicken and good quality car parts, or cheaper US chlorinated chicken and cheap car parts of unregulated quality, too many of us will choose the cheaper option. Unlike some of the paranoid, EU Devil-haters who rant on here, I accept that the EU is an imperfect organisation, but not because it has some evil, unstated ulterior motive, but that it, like us, is human, and makes mistakes in its efforts to improve the lives and conditions of the vast majority of its citizens. Within any organisation, there are the usurpers, the lazy, the self-centred, and the crooks. But the majority that I hear appear to be well-meaning, hard working people, who are trying to produce a group of nations, running with smooth, borderless, trade synchronisation, to maximise their efficiency and competitiveness, while maintaining standards, in a dog-eat-dog world, controlled by multinationals backed by their respective governments. As one of the richest nations in the world, never mind the EU, we may expect to pay "more than our fair share" for some time into the future for the peace and prosperity we continue to enjoy, and for the administration that it takes to run it. The EU has invested heavily in run-down areas of our country that successive governments neglected. It is a sad irony that our current prime minister, Farage and others promoted the lie that the EU was responsible for this poverty. But Cameron was hardly about to claim it as his fault, through his "austerity for some" (so we can spend it in the south), or that if we had spent money on both immigration officers, and a computer system that worked, for them, we might have avoided a problem that has already wasted billions in lost investment, and preparation, but will continue to cost way more in lost profit on trade, and the unnecessary, costly administration of it, let alone the further social costs of low wages, unemployment, and a conservative government that has done nothing to resolve the resentment that caused this whole unhappy fiasco - the fundamental and increasing inequality between rich and poor. Even having only the 23rd highest per capita GDP in the world is no excuse, - people will only work harder if they can enjoy the fruits of their labour. We should be ashamed of the state of our poor, and our general social disintegration. Personally, I trust our European leaders far more than our own, of almost any complexion, to produce a peaceful and prosperous society over the whole of Europe. I don't expect much more than a tirade of abuse for daring to express my opinions but someone needs to bring some balance to the carefully selective, slanted, and often untrue assertions bandied about on this forum. On the future of cars? A final date for the purchase of new IC engined vehicles needs to be implemented soon, with, say, a 15 year period in which to switch completely to non-fossil fueled alternatives. And as I have said before, manufacturers should be designing their current IC models to be convertable with ease, to other, non- fossil fueled propulsion. Once we aren't using oil as fuel, the virgin plastic byproduct will become (hopefully) more expensive than the recycled variety, so we can stop that pollution as well. Where there's a will there's a way.

I agree with everything you have written. Thank you.
Old 22nd August 2019, 13:36   #39
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Comfortably Numb:

You won't get a tirade of abuse, we don't do that. Although I confess to being curious as to why, in a post of 34 lines, just two were on topic. You must be seething, your post was obviously well considered.

Entirely in the interests of balance I would recommend the earlier suggestion concerning Alice Weidel. It might be sensible though to limit such discussion on this well-managed thread - we don't want it prematurely closed now do we?
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:23   #40
MSS
This is my second home

Comfortably Numb

In the interest of fairness and balance, I think each line of your post represented a balanced and accurate response to one or more of the politically motivated earlier posts in this thread.

As for going off topic, it is to be observed that this was done by the poster now commenting on your post back in his post #6. His off-topic content being 100% relative to the previous 5 posts.

As for the speech by the German politician, whilst she is an excellent speaker, a person's view on the content of her speech would depend on their own politics i.e. whether her mindset and view of the world matches their own.

If your post was the result of "seething", although the reason for this comment is lost on me, please continue in this state as your post was factual, balanced and well considered.

PS There are a few individuals on the forum who wish to control when and what others may post in order to not to dilute the messages in their own constant pushing of certain political agendas. Unfortunately, they appear now to be venturing out of the social section into the general car section of the forum. I would hope that most members (and the management team) would see their efforts for what they are.

Last edited by MSS; 23rd August 2019 at 09:00..