Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th June 2013, 06:55   #21
bubs
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75

We had a VW golf doing this outside our work last year, I went out to tell the owner to stall the car and just as I said it the engine went POP! Also had a company transit van die from the same thing.
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 07:06   #22
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1mate View Post
I've had several Peugeot/Citroen diesels never had a problem, is your diesel C5 DPF clogged, possibly from town driving or could the DPF additive be empty?
As I stated, the C4 had several problems already. It had just that day had the EOLYS fluid tank filled but could not get the dpf to do a forced regeneration as there was a problem communicating with the ECU. The car has only covered 76k and is used for mainly motorway work. I work on cars quite a bit and have always found modern French cars problematic, especially if they are not meticulously maintained.

Holden HSV GTS 5.7 V8. Turboed and Nos
'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito

Never mind the power, feel the torque!
438brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 07:30   #23
MG Tom
Posted a thing or two

ex. MG ZT+

I really don't see how DPF could be a factor? Some diesels inject extra fuel post ignition on the DPF cycle, and if the engine is switched off the extra diesel ends up in the sump! The extra oil level can overwhelm the engine causing runaway. Lots of Mazda diesels suffer this.

Other causes are overfilling the oil and turbo oil seals failing.
My project thread HERE
MG Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 08:59   #24
damienp
This is my second home

skoda estate

My mrs' battering ram (picasso 04 plate 1.6 hdi) is on 84k now and although she hasn't got a clue how to drive it (in my humble opinion), it's never let her down. The only issue we've ever had is an injector spitting diesel back out, and that was cured by having the injector seat cut to get rid of the carbon deposits that had built up.
I absolutely refuse to spend any money it to bring it up to scratch. Ok i change the oil and filter every now and then, but this thing just doesn't want to die. It's as if it wants to be thrashed to death by my mrs, and it keeps coming back for more.

OP, i guess your friend has been unlucky having a car at that mileage play up so badly.
damienp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 09:21   #25
maintenanceman
Gets stuck in

75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer, MGF vvc, 1963 MGB

Default Chieftain tanks do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
The reason it ran away was an oil seal in the turbo went and it was running on the engine oil 'til there wasn't any left!
Happened whilst I was in the forces, Tank engine (known as a pack) blower unit seals go, oil forced into engine! Tank went across road into local residents gardens. Scary stuff! Local TV station had a filming bonanza.

Haven't there been some recent(ish) fatalities in the US with runaway engines.
maintenanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 09:46   #26
MG Tom
Posted a thing or two

ex. MG ZT+

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienp View Post
My mrs' battering ram (picasso 04 plate 1.6 hdi) is on 84k now and although she hasn't got a clue how to drive it (in my humble opinion), it's never let her down. The only issue we've ever had is an injector spitting diesel back out, and that was cured by having the injector seat cut to get rid of the carbon deposits that had built up.
I absolutely refuse to spend any money it to bring it up to scratch. Ok i change the oil and filter every now and then, but this thing just doesn't want to die. It's as if it wants to be thrashed to death by my mrs, and it keeps coming back for more.

OP, i guess your friend has been unlucky having a car at that mileage play up so badly.
/off topic
The injector issue is common, it's called 'chuffing'. A torque down of the injectors at every service prevents it occurring again.

These DV6 (1.6 HDi) engines really do need good quality oil and very regularly, I really do recommend every 6k on these. The oil ways are undersized and get blocked easily, they also have a small oil capacity so quality deteriorates quickly. Poor oil or oil starvation will kill the turbo quickly. Many dv6 have had multiple turbo replacements and ultimately ended up with replacement engines. Nearly all cases are down to poor quality oil leading to carbon deposits in the undersized oil ways.

They are a cracking engine and are capable of astonishingly good mpg. I had a HDi Picasso before my Galaxy and it was much better than I'd expected it would be!

Please change the oil with good stuff every 6-8k, and make sure it gets a chance to cool for a couple of minutes after a fast run to prevent carbon deposits forming and give the turbo chance to cool etc.

/on topic
My project thread HERE
MG Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 19:17   #27
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I have heard this on a few occasions with the Citroen Hdi engine, I had a customer with a C5 that did the same thing,luckily it was in the garage at the time so they were able to save it.
Old 7th June 2013, 19:46   #28
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

You can't stall an automatic! Best way is to block the inlet...... Gorra be brave innit.... heh heh
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote