Notices

Old 6th June 2013, 21:29   #11
MG Tom
Posted a thing or two

ex. MG ZT+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Tom View Post
Nope. Pretty much unheard of.

Pretty common on the French stuff though.
Just for clarity I meant the BMW lump not the L series! That post appeared whilst I was replying
My project thread HERE
MG Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 21:38   #12
MG Tom
Posted a thing or two

ex. MG ZT+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Tom View Post
Just for clarity I meant the BMW lump not the L series! That post appeared whilst I was replying
And it would also appear I was wrong on the m47 too! Quite a few occurrences in the 3 series it seems, usually when the oil is overfilled.
My project thread HERE
Old 6th June 2013, 21:54   #13
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

I've had several Peugeot/Citroen diesels never had a problem, is your diesel C5 DPF clogged, possibly from town driving or could the DPF additive be empty?
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 22:07   #14
bongi69
Gets stuck in

75 Connoissuer 2.0 CDT AKA Josie

Eh....

25 Runaway

And this one counts as the M47 proof

Recent stats from my euro road trip: 1605 miles driven through 5 different countries, 160.7 litres of diesel used giving an MPG of 47.1. Total diesel cost €222, €0.13 per mile
bongi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 23:16   #15
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
Very scary, I had this happen twice on Hyundai LDV's with Mitsubishi 2.5 motors, the only way to kill it was to block the exhaust. Yes lots and lots of smoke.
I have never heard of a hyundai LDV with a mitsubishi engine,i worked on ldv vans for 17yrs so would be interested in which model that would be?
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 23:17   #16
dm04way
Regular poster

mgzt

Oh dear....
dm04way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 23:56   #17
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 438brad View Post
Well I experienced my first diesel runaway yesterday. I was actually driving a friends poorly Citroen C4 2.0 HDi VTS which I have been trying to get sorted out for him (anti pollution warnings, engine management light on and bad turbo lag) when I entered a local bypass and started accelerating up the hill. 2nd gear, no power for a few seconds then all hell broke loose! Engine revved up to maximum revs, loads and loads of blue oil smoke out the back and from under the bonnet, so I instinctively turned the key to the off position but that did nothing, so I remembered what I'd read in car mechanics monthly only a month or two back and stuck it in 5th and dropped the clutch. That worked, it stalled and I coasted to a halt (although with no hard shoulder I was stuck in the inside lane with a barrier on my left). After a quick look in my mirror and watching a couple of cars swerve round me at the last second I decided I had to try to limp it the few hundred yards to the exit slip. It started up and ran badly and as soon as I got to about 15mph in second gear it did it all again! I stalled it again the same way and then just limped off in 1st gear at walking speed.

An incredibly unpleasant and rather frightening experience when you've never known anything like it before, but I thought I'd share it as it might help someone else who reads this to know what to do if it ever happens to them. Because I reacted so quickly (it probably only revved at max for about 5 seconds), on first appraisal by a mechanic he reckons the engine may have been saved although the turbo is shot. The car would most likely have set on fire if it had been left to run on its own engine oil at maximum revs and would at least have resulted in catastrophic engine failure, e.g. a rod through the block.
Sounds scary but thanks for sharing. Quick thinking on your behalf.

One question... What happens if you have an automatic? I take it you will just have to stand on the hard shoulder and wave goodbye to your engine?
Old 7th June 2013, 00:27   #18
MattyC
Gets stuck in

MG6 1.8 Turbo TSE in Burnt Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR75 View Post
Sounds scary but thanks for sharing. Quick thinking on your behalf.

One question... What happens if you have an automatic? I take it you will just have to stand on the hard shoulder and wave goodbye to your engine?
Don't give me any more ammunition, the autobox owners hate me already

Perhaps try snapping the selector into 4th? Or do they only have 1,2 and 3? Failing that, I'd imaging the best course of action to be to block the air intake...

Mods: 17" meteor wheels | Steve916's Auto boot lifters | Leather electric memory seats | Dynavin Android DD Headunit | MG7 grille (was a V8 grille, long story!) | SEAT Leon Cupra splitter (colour coded) | ZT sideskirts | BigRuss/marinabrian 160 remap | Roverron Synergy 2A | Arctics Modified Handbrake Compensator

Thanks to those who've helped, providing advice and info, supplying/manufacturing parts, even fitting things for me!
MattyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 06:39   #19
MG Tom
Posted a thing or two

ex. MG ZT+

Blocking the intake is your only option really, but it takes a brave person to stand infront o a diesel trying to do 8000rpm
My project thread HERE
Old 7th June 2013, 06:55   #20
lightningmark
Gets stuck in

MG ZT CDTI +135

Happened to me on my old mk1 zt when the seals give up on the high pressure pump effectively pumping diesel into the sump. When the sump filled and overcame the pcv system thats when it happened. Damn scary and mine was an auto, stopped it by slamming it through the gears guess I was lucky. New main seal in hp pump and took 14 litres out the sump which only holds 7? All was fine after I literally poured the remaining oil out the intercooler
lightningmark is offline   Reply With Quote