Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th January 2013, 08:55   #1
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

Angry Moronic insurance industry!

As the title suggests, why does our insurance industry have to be so idiotic?!? Just contacted my insurers about adding 2 extra seats in the back of my Vito van (taking it to 5 seats) only to be told that my current insurer will not cover it as it is a "modification"! I would have to cancel my policy thereby losing my NBC built up from the last 8 months. As this is an additional policy I currently have no NBC built up yet so I need this first year. How can this be classed as a modification? Does it make my van faster, more attractive to thieves or more of a risk in any way?!? Absolutely ridiculous policies. Rant over!

Holden HSV GTS 5.7 V8. Turboed and Nos
'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito

Never mind the power, feel the torque!
438brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 11:45   #2
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Annoying it is, but changing the seating in a van is a big issue for insurance companies. It is classed as a van with a max of 3 seats,
increasing the seating opens up a can of worms re safety concerns etc. (in there eyes)
Even overloading a passenger car beyond it's designed seating is a insurance and legal issue.
Have heard of this problem re Land rovers trying to increase there seating,
A Fiat Panda for instance used to be available as a 4 seater or a 5 seater with the extra set of belts an extra, with it being a separate model and therefore a different insurance group.
As more owners are modding there 75's/ZT's it never seizes to amaze me what the insurance view is, i suspect i know the answer...

Mark
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 14:07   #3
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weso View Post
Annoying it is, but changing the seating in a van is a big issue for insurance companies. It is classed as a van with a max of 3 seats,
increasing the seating opens up a can of worms re safety concerns etc. (in there eyes)
Even overloading a passenger car beyond it's designed seating is a insurance and legal issue.
Have heard of this problem re Land rovers trying to increase there seating,
A Fiat Panda for instance used to be available as a 4 seater or a 5 seater with the extra set of belts an extra, with it being a separate model and therefore a different insurance group.
As more owners are modding there 75's/ZT's it never seizes to amaze me what the insurance view is, i suspect i know the answer...

Mark
My van is available from the factory as an 8 or 9 seater minibus or a 6 seater as a crew cab. The seats I have are Mercedes oe with built in seat belts designed for the Vito, so I can't see the problem

'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito

Old 17th January 2013, 14:20   #4
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

I think it may be the risk factor the more passengers that you carry the greater the risk
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 17:05   #5
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrush View Post
I think it may be the risk factor the more passengers that you carry the greater the risk
They actually stated that it is because its a modification as it is currently a standard van and my insurer doesn't do modifications. This is not a modification in that sense in my eyes. Obviously there is a greater risk of a higher claim in the event of an accident and I would have understood an increase in the premium. I just did not expect point blank refusal to insure with the seats fitted!

'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito

Old 17th January 2013, 20:17   #6
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Moronic insurers ???? Never !! They are here to make money any way they can, and they're doing quite well thank you .

Its US the customers who are the morons, who to put up with such money grabbing practices. (But I cant see a way out of it ! )
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 21:11   #7
Slokie
Avid contributor

MG ZT

The insurance companys are only intrested in one thing, getting your money, although I must admit, sometimes we dont help ourselves by uprating engines without uprating things like brakes, suspension and tyres. I remember attending a local classic car, club night, some time ago when an Insurance claim inspector gave a talk on modernising older vehicles, it was frightening what people do to there vehicles (with the best of intentions) only to find that when they are involved in an accident, would you believe, they dont get paid out, in fact sometimes they end up paying the third party compensation. If only the insurance companys could show some understanding and common sense as is obviously missing in the ''extra seat'' case.
Slokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 21:16   #8
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slokie View Post
The insurance companys are only intrested in one thing, getting your money, although I must admit, sometimes we dont help ourselves by uprating engines without uprating things like brakes, suspension and tyres. I remember attending a local classic car, club night, some time ago when an Insurance claim inspector gave a talk on modernising older vehicles, it was frightening what people do to there vehicles (with the best of intentions) only to find that when they are involved in an accident, would you believe, they dont get paid out, in fact sometimes they end up paying the third party compensation. If only the insurance companys could show some understanding and common sense as is obviously missing in the ''extra seat'' case.
Tell me about it! If I were doing an engine swap for a V8 or something daft like that I could understand the refusal, but 2 extra seats?!? Especially when my van commonly comes from the factory with 3 extra seats!

'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito

Old 20th January 2013, 16:56   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I have similar tripe from them,a few years ago,I had a van with lpg,the insurance never mentioned it when I gave them the reg no,so neither did I . Afer a week or so,i thought I had better enquire if they knew about the lpg,they didn't,and then told me the current insurer would refuse to continue the policy,and I had 7 days to find another. Eventually,I did, but had to get the vehicle inspected and certified by lpg engineer before they would issue the policy.
Another one,I carry a water tank in the back of my van for my job,if it was secured to the vehicle frame by bolts to the chassis,as thee proffesional systems are,I would have trouble getting cover ,as that is a modification,even though it would have been proffesionally fitted,and in the event of a crash, would not move.
So now ,I have a removable tank,secured to the bulkhead by strong ratchet straps, still had quotes for renewal of over £500 tptf,28 yrs driving,25 yrs ncb,clean licence,and in my mid 40s,crazy
Old 20th January 2013, 17:52   #10
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I have similar tripe from them,a few years ago,I had a van with lpg,the insurance never mentioned it when I gave them the reg no,so neither did I . Afer a week or so,i thought I had better enquire if they knew about the lpg,they didn't,and then told me the current insurer would refuse to continue the policy,and I had 7 days to find another. Eventually,I did, but had to get the vehicle inspected and certified by lpg engineer before they would issue the policy.
Another one,I carry a water tank in the back of my van for my job,if it was secured to the vehicle frame by bolts to the chassis,as thee proffesional systems are,I would have trouble getting cover ,as that is a modification,even though it would have been proffesionally fitted,and in the event of a crash, would not move.
So now ,I have a removable tank,secured to the bulkhead by strong ratchet straps, still had quotes for renewal of over £500 tptf,28 yrs driving,25 yrs ncb,clean licence,and in my mid 40s,crazy
Wow, that is expensive insurance! Mines £500 odd pounds for my 05 Vito with alloys fully comprehensive. Been driving for 17 years but have no NBC to use on the policy as its used on my car. I do have a clean licence but I'm only in my mid 30's as well!

'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito