Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th July 2012, 19:28   #1
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default For those of you that don't already know...

I bent mine after spinning it on a Dual carriageway.

Not 100% sure what happened as it stepped out far more quickly and violently than it has ever done before, normally any wheel spin even at 75-80 in 3rd is very controllable leading to a gentle tail wagging plus I was not even going that quick due to being behind other traffic but it was damn wet

The rear wheel took the brunt of the impact as I connected with an already damaged crash barrier post.

I later found out that two other accidents had happened in exactly the same place previously and the post was sticking out below the barrier

Otherwise it would have just been tram lines down the side as I had almost got it back under control despite going backwards at speed!

Most probably I spun the rears up and got it very sideways and around it went

Repairs are well under way.

Just a few Scrapes!
A few shots prior to pulling it to pieces
Most obvious damage is the the rear quarter panel, it will be having a new one welding in as the wheel has made a real mess of it around the arch and the crash barrier did its bit as well and I do not want excess filler so am paying the extra to have the panel replaced.

On removing the interior trim and bumper I realised the vent opening into the boot was pushed in by the bumper which also dented the seam at the corner as well but I expect those will be straightened etc. as that is a simple repair when they fit the new quarter panel.

Local body shop said immediately they will sort out the doors. which is good

There is a mark on the upper tie bar where it hit the seam of the inner wing. It doesn't look bent and the paint is not broken

The entire rear suspension is coming out anyway as no way is it designed to go in the direction it has so I suspect some of the rubber bushes may be crushed, torn or whatever.

I have bought one of the last Brand new full rear assemblies

I also will be replacing the front struts whilst I am at it as after 90,00 miles the yellow paint is well past its best, they look a ****** real mess so as I already had two new ones squirreled away to fit, now is the time to use them.

The rear ABS sensors on the V8 come out very easily! I was dreading them being seized in like thery do on the fronts - anyone that has done one will know what I mean!

The rears are also a different type of fitting to the front ones.

Whilst removing the rear calipers I noticed MGR had used different types of bolts into the Knuckle, on my car they used Hex screws those on the new rear suspension use Torx screws I prefer the Hex screws I wonder why the difference.

I will post updates as work and finances permit

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote