Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd May 2016, 19:33   #211
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Well my lead arrived today from the far east, so after a quick solder job I've been outside for an hour playing around (I did back up every module possible beforehand!)

First off, I've read and cleared all fault codes from every module - most of them were reporting some kind of error code - and for most modules, they have stayed cleared (though I haven't actually driven the car anywhere as not insured at mo). Now onto the fun/useful stuff!

I'd replaced the fan motor brushes this weekend so it was good to test all three speeds were working correctly. I also managed to turn off the automatic HRW <10degC function, which was great (T4 can't do that), and I think I've disabled auto door locking too but I'll need to drive it to test. I've also played with several settings in the LSM - including the fun police lights and wierd double-flash hazards, though I did think I'd caused a problem enabling dim front indicators and found that rather than alter their brightness, it killed the front sidelamps stone dead and even disabling the option or ign off/on didn't get them working again Thankfully restoring the backup I'd made earlier did correct the issue. I also toyed with the 30% main beam as DRL but in the end decided original was fine for me.

For those still undecided, I'd conclude TOAF is well worth the small cost of a lead from ebay, and used purely for reading/clearing fault codes is safe for all. The coding options do need to be used with care, and backups are strongly recommended before changing anything, but this would apply to T4 and any other system which allows config changes to be made so is not unique to TOAF.
Sector-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 19:40   #212
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

I must admit, I do like the idea of 30% main beam as DRL. Unfortunately, as I've fitted HID's, that probably wouldn't work on my car. I wonder if I could have 30% front fog lights instead
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 19:51   #213
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney bear View Post
I wouldn't trust myself to use TOAF on our car, simply because I don't know enough about the systems on the 75 to even interpret what the program was telling me. I've said it before but the only man plugging anything into our Rosey has a Geordie accent and smells of hob nobs (chocolate only)

If members feel comfortable using it then surely that's up to them, they will still need to go and see Phil or Big Russ or any of the other traders for real problem sorting
Sorry to disappoint you Tony, but I don't own a T4
ps same statement from me.
Old 3rd May 2016, 20:01   #214
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I find it quite funny, that after all the arguments for & against this TOAF thing, that people are playing with police lights which are useless, & turning off the HRW function It doesn't come on anyway most of the summer, & for the rest of the year, just press the button But, hey ho
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 20:05   #215
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
I find it quite funny, that after all the arguments for & against this TOAF thing, that people are playing with police lights which are useless, & turning off the HRW function It doesn't come on anyway most of the summer, & for the rest of the year, just press the button But, hey ho
Hi Ronnie.
I tried the Police lights but I couldn't understand all the fuss! They didn't turn blue
Old 3rd May 2016, 20:16   #216
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly View Post
I must admit, I do like the idea of 30% main beam as DRL. Unfortunately, as I've fitted HID's, that probably wouldn't work on my car. I wonder if I could have 30% front fog lights instead
I tried it with HIDs - they didn't like it at all. I think it works using PWM and turns them on and off rapidly which probably only works for filament bulbs - I think it would massively shorten the life of HIDs / LEDs
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 20:17   #217
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Personally I would never go anywhere near my car with any software, I would sooner pay someone to check my trusty iron chariot out because the T4 guys here know how to use the machines and sort out any unexpected mishaps should they happen. Our cars in all fairness only need to be connected to a T4 once in a blue moon to sort out the occasional issue and I would sooner have a professional T4 member here do the job properly with the piece of mind its done correctly.
Johnny
Old 3rd May 2016, 20:42   #218
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Personally I would never go anywhere near my car with any software, I would sooner pay someone to check my trusty iron chariot out because the T4 guys here know how to use the machines and sort out any unexpected mishaps should they happen. Our cars in all fairness only need to be connected to a T4 once in a blue moon to sort out the occasional issue and I would sooner have a professional T4 member here do the job properly with the piece of mind its done correctly.
Johnny
The snag is Johnny that there are still parts here in the UK without T4 coverage. Go abroad and your really stuck, this where VT4 & Toaf will score.
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:11   #219
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
I tried the Police lights but I couldn't understand all the fuss! They didn't turn blue
I nearly turned the air blue when I killed the front sidelights! I just wanted to see what TOAF could do (there's loads of functions on it I don't understand yet), but for the sake of a quick download and a five quid lead I'm impressed. I'm even prepared to do free code read/clears for local club members, though for proper diags or anything where I could screw up their car (i.e. config changes and remaps) I'd refer them to a T4 operator.
Sector-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:45   #220
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Everything will find it's own level. Anybody who is providing a valuable and professional service has nothing to fear. Assuming we are all adults, although I have my doubts from some of the posts in this thread, we can make a decision as to whether or not we wish to use any particular software on our cars.

Nannyism (claimed/real/otherwise) aside, TOAF represents no threat whatsoever to the absolutely brilliant service provided by our T4 guys. The newest of our cars are now about 10 years old. Anybody taking the time to produce something that will help owners, therefore help livelihoods, and ultimately help the club stay alive, should be welcomed with open arms, not driven away like a plague carrier. Some adjustment of attitude required by some, in my humble opinion.

Food for thought, gentlemen.