Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th October 2009, 18:21   #1
landgirl1971

ROVER 420

Default Newbie and Rover 75 question

Hi, hope you do not mind me posting. Although I do not own a Rover 75, I do own a Rover 420 SDI and before that a Rover Montego. I was really writing to say hello and also for some advice. I was thinking of changing my Rover to a Rover 25, but after coming across the Rover 75, I am now tending to lean towards the 75, I really wanted to know if, and hope this is not a stupid question, the 75 drives like a big car and would be too big to use in town etc. I am thinking of getting a 2 lt turbo diesel.

I do apologise again for the stupid question.

Many thanks for all your help in advance.

Gail (Cornwall UK)
landgirl1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 18:46   #2
steffo
Loves to post

'05 MG ZT-T 1.8T 160+,'89 MG Metro Turbo

No question is stupid.The 75 does tend to feel it's size,the gearchange is quite meaty and although the steering has PAS it tends to be heavier than say a supermini and watch for a heavy clutch on a Diesel.Best thing to do is try and find one local and go for a drive around your normal roads. :lol:
Just re-read you post and you say you have a 400series,the 75 won't be too much bigger than that really
Old 12th October 2009, 18:52   #3
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

no not astupid question..and we don't mind you posting..

as steffo says take one for a test drive and see what you think
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 19:00   #4
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Hi Gail..

A lady friend often borrows my 75 and loves it to bits. -- My cars only prev owner was a lady. She owned it for more than 6 years. Get a CDT auto, And --- you too will love it!.

The steering is light and responsive, the car is roomy, and a lovely envoirment to be in, the interiors retro looks are a whiff of bygone days when British engineering and British made cars were something to be proud of. The 75 has a real touch of luxury and "class" that's rarely found in a car these days ..

The best thing of all about the 75 is the way it drives, in my opinion the only car to come close to it, is the XJ6 series Jaguar-Daimler..

Buy one Gail, and enjoy... .:lol:

Last edited by James.uk; 12th October 2009 at 19:09..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 19:02   #5
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Hello Gail, welcome to the club.

Try one, you'll love it. You don't so much drive around as waft. An automatic would make driving in town easier but increase fuel consumption, although less critical if you get a diesel. You get used to driving bigger cars, accept you can't get through the same gaps as you would in something smaller, then just sit back and enjoy your surroundings. There is nothing you can get for the money that compares to the feeling you get when you drive a 75 (that rough MG ZT lot will argue but don't listen to them)
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 20:06   #6
steffo
Loves to post

'05 MG ZT-T 1.8T 160+,'89 MG Metro Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredSpencer View Post
(that rough MG ZT lot will argue but don't listen to them)
Of course a lady would have to drive a ZT.A lady with a pipe,slippers and a 75 wouldn't be a good look
Old 12th October 2009, 21:05   #7
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffo View Post
Of course a lady would have to drive a ZT.A lady with a pipe,slippers and a 75 wouldn't be a good look
Oh I dunno, just add a cloth cap and she'd be my ideal woman.
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 21:11   #8
AldoR
Aldo Ross

,MGZT SE V8 MG GS

Look what happend to me i came from a vauxhall background went and test drove a ZT and got one .:lol:
AldoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 21:37   #9
. hammer
Steve

Rover 75 CDT Auto Conn Tourer

'Ello Gail - glad you dropped by....
You've probably already gathered we're a light-hearted bunch...... but we love our 75s & ZTs. To answer your question(s) - you could do a lot worse for your money! Don't know what your budget is, but all the owners here will gladly give you the benefit of their experience regarding price, repairs, maintenance, etc. I have a 75 Tourer diesel and my wife drives a Saab 9-3 convertible, but she's always happy to drive the 75, whether it's sharing a long journey or taking a longer drive alone. Although the Saab is very well-appointed, my Lady enjoys the luxury ride afforded by the 75 (town, country or motorway) and, I should add, I'm a very relaxed passenger when she drives.
A word of warning!!!.... If you ask around, some may tell you there is a problem with spares for this discontinued classic. The reality is quite different. Most parts are off-the-shelf and only a few parts are on back-order.
It's a shame you're so far away from the National Meet venue (Peterborough, this Sunday) as you could gain a lot from chatting to over 60 owners. However, the site is always here and there will be many members in your area willing to help.
So, in conclusion, my advice would be...... buy one - subscribe to the Club - enjoy!
Final note: in terms of size, it won't feel much different to the Montego - just more luxurious!

Last edited by . hammer; 12th October 2009 at 22:34..
. hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 00:09   #10
buzzard

Rover 75 saloon

Hi Gail i have a 75 cdt auto which i use for work every day which is a 6 mile town route and the frequent blast up the motorway, i have found it to be an excellent car at both jobs, it is a car that will pootle around at 30mph and cruise at 70mph without fuss. My wife keeps trying to "borrow" it rather than use her Almera which for 5 years has had no problem untill the 75 turned up, to my best knowledge the 75 replaced the 600 and the 800 series Rovers (a medium car that thought it was a large car!) which it succeeded in doing oh and by the way i'm 6ft and swmbo is 4ft 11 so the 75 is all things to all people buy one you wont regret it
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote