Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th October 2020, 12:45   #11
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Michael had retired from the sport the year before he had his skiing accident.
He also broke his leg at Silverstone, of course, but he only missed a few races
Old 26th October 2020, 12:52   #12
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
He also broke his leg at Silverstone, of course, but he only missed a few races
Yep,

Irv the swerve was his team mate that year if memory serves

Last edited by coolcat; 26th October 2020 at 12:55..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2020, 14:15   #13
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Do you feel all of the following athletes and teams also have immature objectives and are ridiculed by the public. Maybe it's not them that needs to reconsider their attitude!

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/27/w...sts/index.html
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/ga...matter-protest

No, of course I don't and I suspect you ask the question just a bit tongue in cheek! It's impossible to go into detail given the banned subject! Your question gives the clue. There has been acres of evidence that a noble title has been given to a subversive core movement and there is plenty of that evidence available.
Do you feel the rest of the assembled drivers (and their teams) are entirely and genuinely supportive of the underlying movement (rather than the genuinely felt sympathy)?

It might offend sensibilities but it has deeper connotations and origins with the underlying and secretive movement's (their individual identities never revealed) intentions given sparse publicity. In other words, a worthy cause has been intentionally mounted with an honourable title and the gullible have been herded on the back of concerted public pressure. I'd rather discuss the F1/Hamilton criticism which I happen to think is unfounded - quite evident in the earlier post I made! HTH.
Old 26th October 2020, 14:34   #14
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
continued use of the event to publicise and further his immature political objectives is embarrassing and rather stupidly exposes him to public ridicule.
It seems to me that BLM has fairly widespread support but certainly there are fringes which are not doing them any favours in their aims but i agree this isn't the place to discuss political matters however i find it difficult to reconcile how you feel Hamilton's demonstrations are immature which exposes him to ridicule but the other examples are not?

I only mention it as i have seen several people knock him for his gestures but not a single one about any other athlete or sportsman of which there are a huge number of examples to choose from which are all using their platform to promote this in similar ways. I'm genuinely interested to understand the rationale

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT

Last edited by Rogue; 26th October 2020 at 14:43.. Reason: spelling
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2020, 17:22   #15
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
It seems to me that BLM has fairly widespread support but certainly there are fringes which are not doing them any favours in their aims but i agree this isn't the place to discuss political matters however i find it difficult to reconcile how you feel Hamilton's demonstrations are immature which exposes him to ridicule but the other examples are not?

I only mention it as i have seen several people knock him for his gestures but not a single one about any other athlete or sportsman of which there are a huge number of examples to choose from which are all using their platform to promote this in similar ways. I'm genuinely interested to understand the rationale
I thought my post no.7 was very complimentary about LH! I'm not even really a fan!
However, I didn't say he was immature. I referred to to his political views as being so. His formative years were obviously spent in a very different and highly concentrated atmosphere of dedicated competition. so maybe that explains his naivete.

The attention his prowess receives is possibly proportionate to his worldwide fame.

You mention a rationale. I think it is conspicuously absent! There just isn't one! Every hero has his critics, goes with the territory and is usually a product of screaming envy. Whatever, I for one wish him only even greater success in what he does.
Old 26th October 2020, 20:29   #16
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

"Wide spread support"? Is that be the same as Wide spread publicity? He is a very good driver like many before and those that will follow and good luck to him. I vote for Stirling Moss-never bettered. Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2020, 21:41   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

BLM, could I just refer to the genocide in Rwanda. Does BLM only apply when it is white on black? All lives matter and everyone one has the right to be safe no matter what their colour or religion etc etc

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2020, 21:57   #18
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
BLM, could I just refer to the genocide in Rwanda. Does BLM only apply when it is white on black? All lives matter and everyone one has the right to be safe no matter what their colour or religion etc etc

macafee2
Agree. Separate the sympathy BLM movement from the political organisation BLM. A lot of Black conservatives don't support the BLM organisation, but we all support the sentiment behind opposing injustice wherever it occurs.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2020, 05:45   #19
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2
Not as serious as ^^^, and I hope I don’t offend by asking, but why, in this PC era, aren’t there MOWO awards, to match the MOBOs?
Old 27th October 2020, 06:58   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Not as serious as ^^^, and I hope I don’t offend by asking, but why, in this PC era, aren’t there MOWO awards, to match the MOBOs?
I think it is a valid question and I asked something similar at work, we had various support groups but their title was aimed at just one section of the work force. If you believe everyone is equal no matter colour, race, religion, sexual preference you may find these groups somewhat unfair but perhaps they exist because their target audience is mis-treated or just lack support? Everyone is equal and I just don't get not liking someone because of colour, religion, sexual preference etc etc.

Anyway, back to Hamilton, well done. It is nice to have a Brit being the most successful F1 driver, even if I don't take to him

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote