Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th October 2020, 13:29   #1
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts
Default In Tank Pump (ITP) has died

Hi all.

The ITP on my recently acquired tourer has given up the ghost . It's probably had the equivalent of a heart attack having been laid up since the start of the COVID thingy and having done less than a couple of thousand miles a year for the last 10 years .

Anyway, thanks to the "How To's" and other threads it's now out and has been certified dead following 12V shock treatment and physical massage with a blunt stick .

The use of a 12V electric fuel pump of unknown age or origin, some plastic pipe and a slave battery along with 2 jerry cans did a great job of emptying most of the diesel out of the tank.

A couple of weird bits:

Does anyone know what's going on here?

I was expecting the rubber pipe to come away from the male spigot - which it did - but it brought this thin black plastic tube with it.

I've only taken one or two apart but I don't remember any thin black plastic tube . Do I need to "persuade" the tube out or can I just push it all back together and put the small steel clip back into place?

There's a fair bit of gunge in the bottom of the tank. I'll be getting that out before it all goes back together. Do you think SWMBO will mind me using the baster thingy that sucks up the juices from the roast....

I've no idea what this spade terminal is for. There's no spare wires/connectors etc. I guess it's not needed/used. Suggestions welcome.

While reading up I thought the grey plastic "arm" with the square block on the end was supposed to be clipped in. It wasn't, it was just flapping about - unless it unclipped itself as I was easing the pump assembly up and out?

Now all I have to do is release the pump itself, put the new one in and put it all back together.

And it's heaving it down here so I'm glad I can do the first bit in the shed .

Wish me luck.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 24th October 2020 at 13:35..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2020, 17:18   #2
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Pump now released .

But there's some black gunge inside the gauze filter . It looks like softened rubber or mastic that hasn't gone off. No idea what it actually is or where it's come from.

Now I'm wondering whether to get a new gauze filter 'cus I can't get it out or just ignore it.

The problem is that the usual searches don't come up with anything. The plastic moulding has the number "96.387.156" but nothing remotely like it comes up.

Suggestions/links very welcome.

Old 25th October 2020, 18:34   #3
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

ITP now replaced. With very grateful thanks to the "How to" folks and the general threads with hints and tips.

Bought the DMGRS pump as I didn't see the point in buying all the plastic housing with a, say, Peugeot one and having to strip it all down and then throw away the housing.

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...-2-pump-system

For reference the DMGRS pump is VERY quiet.

I double checked with my ear on the end of a screwdriver on top of the unit itself and yes, it was running. But listening at the open fuel flap with the fuel cap off it's quite difficult to hear.

We'll see how reliable it is as I'm not planning to replace it for several years.

Last edited by AndyN01; 25th October 2020 at 18:40..
Old 25th October 2020, 20:17   #4
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Thumbs up

Hopefully a good result Andy. Look forward to seeing you sometime. When? God knows lol.

Martyn
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2020, 21:52   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Andy. Sorry to hear about the itp.
Mine packed up a few years back and I fitted the VDO pump from Jules in Conwy. Bit of a fiddle but I did not take all the pump out of the tank, just took the tank down to quarter full. While you are in there with the seat up, check the pipe that carries the wires from the rear wheel through into the car. Mine had gone tommy cotton. I used some expanding foam to fill the pipe up. Waited for it to cure then cut it of in the wheel area and sealed it with underseal.
Old 28th October 2020, 22:55   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
ITP now replaced. With very grateful thanks to the "How to" folks and the general threads with hints and tips.

Bought the DMGRS pump as I didn't see the point in buying all the plastic housing with a, say, Peugeot one and having to strip it all down and then throw away the housing.

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...-2-pump-system

For reference the DMGRS pump is VERY quiet.

I double checked with my ear on the end of a screwdriver on top of the unit itself and yes, it was running. But listening at the open fuel flap with the fuel cap off it's quite difficult to hear.

We'll see how reliable it is as I'm not planning to replace it for several years.
Thanks for the information. I've made a note of it.---

PS. Very quiet you say,---It's not an age thing is it ???---

I'm 83 and I can't even hear my engine running . Lol.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 15:58   #7
tonytolle
Regular poster

NONE AT THE MOMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Pump now released .

But there's some black gunge inside the gauze filter . It looks like softened rubber or mastic that hasn't gone off. No idea what it actually is or where it's come from.

Now I'm wondering whether to get a new gauze filter 'cus I can't get it out or just ignore it.

The problem is that the usual searches don't come up with anything. The plastic moulding has the number "96.387.156" but nothing remotely like it,
Suggestions/links very welcome.
Unusual in a car but possible in one that has been laid up and only used intermittently you may have a mild case of diesel bug ,worth keeping an eye on it.
tonytolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 22:56   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Get a biocide and dose the tank with it.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 14:37   #9
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Diesel bug is very common in boats where the water vapour in stainless steel tanks helps it to breed.
The solution is to keep tanks brimmed (expensive when you have two 320 litre tanks) or as previously mentioned, use a biocide treatment in your fuel.

I’ve used various different ones on our boat but can’t say if any better than the others as we have never suffered the problem.
That may well be down to treating our tanks or the fact that our boat is used regularly and not laid up over winter.

Certainly worth trying some in the car
Old 3rd November 2020, 23:19   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Andy. I think the tag on the pump that you show, that there is no lead for, is an Earth but I believe it was not used I was told.