Notices

Old 14th June 2019, 14:52   #101
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
'Just wondering. What source would you suggest for a completely unbiased reporting of news items?
Since the independence referendum I have perceived the BBC to be very biased against Scotland in their national news service so have discounted them as credible a number of years ago'

My references to the Spectator were in answer to an enquiry from someone seeking the truth and unbiased opinion from a selection of contributors.

This to enable a balanced view to be obtained which might lead to a happier and wider reliance on general learned opinion and to avoid the need for unnecessary attempts at unhelpful comments. To reduce it to mentioning two controversial editors is entirely to miss the point.

By its nature my offer was well meaning and genuinely offered. The uninvited reply resulted, however, in a possibly accidentally negative impression and may have cast doubt on the veracity of my commendation.

It seems to me reasonable to avoid giving biased views by presenting misleading statements. Anyone with any knowledge of the Spectator (est. 1828) would know about its often stated policy of taking contributions from the spectrum of socio/politico commentary, thereby offering views not necessarily in accordance with its own editorial content, whatever that might be. The link below is to their current contributors and establishes just who is relevant.

/www.spectator.co.uk/writers/
Thanks for your reply. Sorry for not responding sooner, even whilst on annual leave life seems hectic.

I've always been a little put off by the Spectator, albeit it's a long time since I read an issue.
I'm on holiday next week, Tenerife here I come, so will pick up am issue to read.

Thanks again
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 15:14   #102
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I agree with you. Comments from JB on a comedy show are not taken by right mided (or even wrong minded) people in the same way as those made by say Farage to a private gathering of supporters and filmed secretly.
The sad and for me frustrating part of this, for us to suggest that it could be used to incite hatred, means we have strayed so far from being right minded, to being 'wrong minded'.

I agree that certain voices have to be 'reigned in' or monitored, however, this particular incident (which was listened to by a limited audience!) is just too far in this nanny state.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 22:19   #103
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Would it cut down the number of M.P.s in Parliament if there was a box "none of the above"
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2019, 11:32   #104
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Why have there not been howls of protest of misogyny from the wokers about V. Derbyshire. If anything in the world is sexist that must be. Are we sure it wasn't an (in)voluntary Asperger lapse. I saw her interview with Andrea Leadsom recently and Derbyshire was mocking and insolent in the extreme. She failed on that occasion and AL retained her polite courtesy and calm composure faultlessly throughout, even smiling.
Old 15th June 2019, 14:06   #105
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Turns out Trump has a history against Comcast, therefore the Sky news will be skewed against Trump. This will explain the excessive(?) coverage of the protesters.

Fox news used to be a very Republican leaning news program (back when I was there at least when GDubya was president) , and I would imagine he and Murdoch would be great friends, so likely to be more positive to Trump.

Old 15th June 2019, 16:22   #106
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

I think Comcast own it now, after Murdoch lost out buying it back, after which he went to Fox. I think this was last year or year before. Comcast are definitely not friends of Trump. (I always thought it was just CNN lol)

(just scanning through the history of it, it is quite a bit more complicated than above, but Comcast are the sole owners, which goes a long way to explain why you have seen so much anti Trump sentiment on it - if you think the BBC are biased, you should try flicking between Fox News and Sky news lol)

Last edited by clf; 15th June 2019 at 16:30..
Old 15th June 2019, 18:28   #107
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Melania seems extremely subdued and forgiving whilst maintaining decorum. Indeed, almost saintly. Obviously somewhat more than a trophy.
Old 15th June 2019, 19:53   #108
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Fox News = Murdoch = Trump's ally

Sky News = Comcast = Trump's enemy

I came across an article recently of Trump calling out Comcast as a fake news outlet, hence why I mentioned it. I recall a post you made somewhere complaining about all the protester coverage against Trump.

Old 16th June 2019, 16:53   #109
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post

Fox News = Murdoch = Trump's ally

Sky News = Comcast = Trump's enemy

I came across an article recently of Trump calling out Comcast as a fake news outlet, hence why I mentioned it. I recall a post you made somewhere complaining about all the protester coverage against Trump.
If you want a broader view on political bias,you should watch,as i often do,CNN and R.T.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2019, 17:40   #110
wraymond

75 Auto 2.5 SE

So it's the least worst of a bad lot. Some choice. Unfortunately the current choices neither inspire nor encourage.

Was watching a channel today 'Keep it Country' (FV 87) recommended to me by my daughter's Irish husband. In spite of its title it's mainly Irish Folk (think Dubliners or Fureys) and partly C/W and sometimes has slots about history. Today it was about USA observations of UK history of 20th century government. Very surprisingly they were full of compliments and admiration about our way of doing things. It's nothing but embarrassing now. We are a laughing stock because of the useless idiots looking after their own futures.