Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th September 2007, 22:07   #21
andyw
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi (departed to pastures new) MGTF, MGC,

Yep, I knew that and I filled up at Sainsbury's just around the corner from chemix before I gave them the car!
andyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 23:04   #22
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Had one rear tread wear on the outside tread. 4 wheel tracked... it was ok for about 2 years, then wear showng again. Had it retracked by same garage, and its now been ok for another 2 years. But each time the operator had to ring up to Rover/rover dealer to get the correct toe in. Each time he got a told different toe setting. Did the recommended setting keep changing ? The wheels now are set to point more parallel than the first setting.
If the wheels are so badly out of alignment, you will feel a nudge sideways when you go over a pothole.
Best of luck.
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 23:59   #23
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Yes I think there were several settings used by Rover in an attempt I think to cure the common problem of uneven tyre wear on the rear - usually inside edges of the tyres. I had the uneven tyre wear on my first 75 and I remember the main dealer saying that he wished MGR would make up their minds. At the end of the day I think he found his own settings which appeared to cure the problem. He managed it on mine anyway.

I had a theory (never proved) that reverse parking in a Rover was not always carried out perfectly by owners and they kerbed the nearside rear wheel. Now we know that kerbing the fronts can upset the front end alignment - why not the same on the rear. Given that they can be adjusted.

Last edited by David3807; 27th September 2007 at 00:02..
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 08:17   #24
Neil Coupland
Gets stuck in

Range Rover Sport, MG TF 160 Aubergine

David, when I had mine done earlier this year, the chap setting it stated that there was a band rather than a single setting in which the rear wheel should be, mind you he was talking fractions of a degree so it must be a fairly small band.
I used Nottingham Car 4 Wheel Alighnment Ltd (snappy name! ), they were very good, and cost about £50 including adjustment to front and rear. It was a full laser set up and included a print out of the before and after settings. Tyre wear at the back now seems even, and the niggling pull to the near side has dissappeared.
Neil Coupland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 08:22   #25
tigerchubs
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT+ in Yorkshire Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi,

The original repair and procedures manual for the Rover 75, produced for the industry by Thatcham in 1999, contains the instructions for carrying out wheel alignment only with a full fuel tank. Happy to post a copy of the relevant page if that would help - as soon as I find the ****** thing in my archive doh!

Regards

Mike
I don’t doubt what was written in 1999 but having personally tracked thousands of cars over many years, I have known a lot of data be amended. Autodata supply this information to almost all the motor repair industry, sourced from motor vehicle manufacturers.
Many manufacturers ballast cars to obtain the appropriate ride height to enable setting the vehicle when new. Due to wear and tear on joints, settlement/ weakening of springs and so on, the ride height of a vehicle changes. By filling the tank you will more than likely have a vehicle with a lower ride height than when set up as new. This fact has caused many vehicles settings to be amended. Tracking is not an exact science the setting figures are averages and as such will suit some cars better than others.
I have personally set up my own 75 using no ballast other than what is usually in the car. I then pull down and pushed up on the suspension making sure she didn’t exit the stated tolerances while watching for variation in measurements, this indicates if a vehicle has more wear on one side. This is possibly the reason JDC is getting wear on one wheel only, but fitters says its ok when checked.
Old 27th September 2007, 21:50   #26
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3807 View Post
Yes I think there were several settings used by Rover in an attempt I think to cure the common problem of uneven tyre wear on the rear - usually inside edges of the tyres. I had the uneven tyre wear on my first 75 and I remember the main dealer saying that he wished MGR would make up their minds. At the end of the day I think he found his own settings which appeared to cure the problem. He managed it on mine anyway.

I had a theory (never proved) that reverse parking in a Rover was not always carried out perfectly by owners and they kerbed the nearside rear wheel. Now we know that kerbing the fronts can upset the front end alignment - why not the same on the rear. Given that they can be adjusted.
Wouldnt reverse parking problems give rise to uneven wear on the inside tread ? Most complaints here seem to be about wear on the outside.
Toe setting data :- My handbook (1999) says rear : 0.37Degrees ,+/- 0.25 degrees.
The variation allowed seems to be quite large.
Whats the going rate today ?
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 22:03   #27
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Most tyre wear problems around 2001 were with the inner edges of the rear tyres if I remember correctly.

Having said that who knows what a knock to a wheel can do to the geometry either front or back. Would have thought that it would depend on the angle and severity of the impact and perhaps the load in the car as to causing wear on inside or outside edge.

But then I am an accountant not a tyre expert. I might be talking complete rubbish. It would'nt be the first time.

And I did say it was only a theory.
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote