Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th June 2019, 12:26   #1
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Default Daytime Running Light Activation

Does anyone know if any of the aftermarket tools (Pscan etc.) can be used to activate the Daytime Running Light function on a ZT?
Where I live there are no T4s. I do have a Blackbox system but I don't want to splash 600.euros on software right now so I am looking for a less expensive way to get the lights turned on as it's a legal requirement here.
I could install a module but I am a bit hesitant to do that with Xenon lighting.
If a software solution isn't available I will give it a go though.
Old 19th June 2019, 12:40   #2
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Hi Rich Toaf the free software can do this for you

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 13:05   #3
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

As previous poster - Toaf can activate this, go into LSM, select automatic headlight then there's an option of running your headlights at 30% with different options.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 13:54   #4
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Rich, to pass the Federal Inspection at Canadian Tire you can tap into your park lights (or maybe even fogs, I used the park lights) with a relay to turn them on with your ignition. Then you can do the job properly with TOAF after. Or, as I will likely do, install an LED strip in the lower cutouts of the bumper connected with a relay to the oil pressure circuit so they come on when the engine is started. OR, maybe I will get TOAF set up myself and try that.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 20:33   #5
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

TOAF will definitely do this but I know there were issues with losing sidelights when this activated.
That may have been resolved now though as that was early days

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 21:04   #6
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Using toaf you have the option of main beams on at 30% (can't remember if it activated on ignition on or engine running) or side lights front and rear on this can be set to operate as soon as ignition is on or only when engine is runnong

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 21:07   #7
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

I've also got a vague memory of something funny, perhaps with the early releases. The OP, and anyone, re-writing anything should make a back-up first before saving just incase they want to revert to their earlier configuration.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 00:30   #8
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

That sounds like a great solution!
Where can I get TOAF? (sounds kinda shady!)

Free sounds a lot better than 600 euros! I have Blackbox software for my MGF and Freelander and it is excellent, almost T4 level. I would have liked it for the ZT, even at that price but they are very difficult to deal with. They offer Paypal payment in some countries but for reasons they won't disclose will only sell to Canada by bank draft. If I used that my better half would know and would beat me to death with my amputated arms!

Slovcan, When I imported my (less complex electrically) 1997 MGF I was able to use a simple DTRL module made by Grote. It worked great, and I have used it both with the low-beam headlights and LEDs. With the new federal regs coming in Grote has discontinued the simple version and come up with a unit that will turn on all of the lights along with the ignition. I really don't want that but if TOAF doesn't do the trick I will swipe the unit off my F.
Right now there is no big hurry to do the test but I don't want to miss all of the good summer weather. BTW: There is no way I'm taking the ZT anywhere near Canadian Tire. They don't know MG from GM! I use a small independent shop that is used to testing strange cars. They do lots of Kei cars, Delicas and Skylines imported here from Japan and don't get flustered.

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 20th June 2019 at 00:39..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 02:15   #9
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Update

TOAF Found!
Software Downloaded!
Cable Ordered!
$15.00 from Amazon, 2 day free delivery

I may have to get my tech-savvy son-in law to help me set it up but I'm on my way. I'll report back with progress (Hopefully!)
Old 20th June 2019, 02:46   #10
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post

Slovcan, When I imported my (less complex electrically) 1997 MGF I was able to use a simple DTRL module made by Grote. It worked great, and I have used it both with the low-beam headlights and LEDs. With the new federal regs coming in Grote has discontinued the simple version and come up with a unit that will turn on all of the lights along with the ignition. I really don't want that but if TOAF doesn't do the trick I will swipe the unit off my F.
Right now there is no big hurry to do the test but I don't want to miss all of the good summer weather. BTW: There is no way I'm taking the ZT anywhere near Canadian Tire. They don't know MG from GM! I use a small independent shop that is used to testing strange cars. They do lots of Kei cars, Delicas and Skylines imported here from Japan and don't get flustered.
The last car imported was a Q45 in the early 2000s. Back then CT was pretty much the only option for the Federal inspection. If you have another option take it there. Canadian Tire in Abbotsford looked at the car across the parking lot, took my money for the fee and instantly told me it failed. The guy never moved a muscle. He saw tint on the windows. He COULD have said remove the tint and bring it back, but no, they wanted the easy money. Then just to make it official they looked it over and said the tie rod end was worn. I had already checked everything and was all good. I took the tint off the windows, cleaned the nuts on the tie rod ends, went to a different Canadian Tire (Mission) for a retest and everything passed - not a fault found anywhere.

Anyway, carry on. Let us know how TOAF works out for you. I may give it a go, too.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote