Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th May 2017, 18:27   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default 3 litres coolant short

Avid readers may recall I decided to do a coolant change - prob first ever on my R75D - and struggled to get the bottom rad hose off. Well on advice of a member I bought a clever remote cable hose release clamp (£10) off eBay. Wasn't quite as simple as it looked but did eventually get it off and drained cylinder block and rad. Thought I'd better do it properly so bought some fancy clean water + rad flush, charged it - but couldn't get more than 5 ltrs back in. (Yes switched heater auto on). So let it run normal temp, bled it till it gushed, let it cool - header tank full to mark. So drained again - more dirty water up my left armpit - sealed everything tight - refilled with the kosher OAT and you've guessed still couldn't get more than smidgeon over 5 ltrs in despite bleeding till coolant ran out. The temp sits solid at 8.45 when hot: never goes above.

So I've either bought the only Limited Edition 5 litre rad - any offers? - or I'll run the car around and keep checking . . .

Any ideas chaps? Please?

Last edited by MissMoppet; 27th May 2017 at 18:30..
MissMoppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 21:01   #2
filandeb

75 tourer

my 2 cents worth...It may be residual water left in the system, i.e. you can't actually drain it all out, so obviously you can't put what you would expect back in. The other possibility is an air bubble trapped somewhere. Mine's a V6 petrol not a diesel and I have LPG so it it may be different. I do get issues (the LPG vapouriser airlocks and stops the LPG system working) if the coolant drops too low for any reason and it has to be vacuumed down to get the residual air out.
filandeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 21:46   #3
WSHAman

MG GS

Default Coolant volume Diesel

Similar result myself on a coolant refresh although I managed to get about 6 litres fluid back in to the system. All hoses hot and the removal and flushing of the heater matrix has improved the lack of cabin heating. Fair bit of water came out when taking out the matrix despite the block drain plug and bottom hose being removed so as noted system retains fluid.
WSHAman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 23:48   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I believe the capacity noted in the Handbook/Haynes is total, dry fill. What the factory added at first fill. In reality, a significant volume will remain and simply can't be drained off. A bit like oil changes. The refill is never all new coolant or oil. But it's near enough.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 09:06   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I drop the old coolant into an even older washing up bowl then ladle it out with a just as old measuring jug to see how much comes out.

If the same amount doesn't go back in something isn't right.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote