Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th May 2017, 21:32   #21
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
Very true, but what about fact based complaints?

And tbh, when you have some moderators who are friends with the people who are being complained about it becomes very hard for them to be impartial.

It's a unique problem faced by clubs like this where the moderators are enthusiasts and members too
Firstly, fact based complaints. There are actually very few complaints that the moderation team hear about. We sometimes pick up on some threads but unless we're notified of any outstanding issues then it's quite rare.

Some moderators are good friends with some traders, myself included. You have to be as impartial as you can be but that's not just traders that's the general membership. If I wasn't being impartial I would expect another moderator to point it out to me behind the scenes and have a discussion about my views and theirs.
From a member point of view I think we need a rating system as in my opinion a trader would be seen as being endorsed by the club and so selected for work. From a moderator point of view it's difficult to say if somebody has done sub standard work or not as you are dealing with opinions and not all the moderation team, like the members, have an in depth hands on knowledge of the cars and what would be a good or bad repair

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 21:54   #22
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

I have dealt with many traders, seen the horrific work of others, been help and been ripped off. How some people get a good reputation is beyond me and why people don't complain about shoddy work or practices is also something I don't understand. An Ebay style feedback score would go a long way to sorting out the problems with traders but and its a big but, there are also members who are not traders and rip of their fellow enthusiasts with dodgy parts and cars and seem to get away with it.

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 21:56   #23
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

I know it's hard, don't get me wrong.

I don't think ratings are the answer either because ratings can be manipulated with very little effort.

All it would take is the forums equivalent of the dodgy goals panel with an arbitrary ruling that the trader (if found at fault) can honour or be shown the door.

A simple complaints process, complainant sends reebs their case together with supporting evidence. Reebs invites a response from the trader/member. The dodgy goals panel review the content and make a decision. Repeated infractions lead to suspension of trading status. Further infractions = removal of that status and forfeiture of fees paid.

Surely not that hard to implent and would at least assure members that complaints are reviewed even if the outcome isn't always what either party would hope for.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 23:17   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Are there any sites similar to 'checkatrade' or 'ratedpeople', where when traders sign up to become traders, they must also create some kind of profile on a 3rd party site, unrelated to the forum. (I appreciate the above mentioned sites, may require payment - I havent looked into them, just mentioning them as examples). In their profile, they must also link to the profile on the review site.

Hopefully then, the third party site (if such exists) would allow for it to be impartial and transparent. It may also open up new business for the trader from outside the forum too. It would also allow people to read reviews and make their own mind up without threads becoming slanging matches and being shut down/deleted.

On a personal level, I have only got good things to say about the few traders I have dealt with, and have been lucky not to have negative experiences (and that extends to the general membership that I have bought from too). This also goes for advice also, which has always been freely given. I kinda hope too, my subscription payment goes in some way to reducing the traders' subscription costs, but maybe that is me being a little idealistic lol - but without the traders here, I would not have had the confidence of spares availability that I had when I was buying the car. (I know it is not all on the traders, but it is the traders that stock and store the parts, that 'outsiders' believe to be NLA and fear our cars)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 23:42   #25
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Another problem with a ratings or feedback system is that sometimes poor workmanship might not come to light until a year or two after the trader did the work - could the rating/feedback be changed retrospectively?

And how could such an ability to change it be ensured not to lead to abuse of the system i.e. the trader and customer later fall out but the actual work was OK?

I can see it being very difficult to create a totally fair and foolproof system.

As for the original question, I think that for newer members seeing names in bold blue probably will install confidence, but older members who have been on here a few years will be more wary.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 06:46   #26
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Retrospectively introducing a ratings or similar proposal is not going to make the current situation any better. If this kind of approach was to work it needed to be implemented from the beginning.
Poor service and workmanship does need to be investigated, maybe by a group of impartial respected members separate from the mods. Hopefully to a satisfactory conclusion for both parties.
Just my pennies worth
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 07:16   #27
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

There must already be some form of vetting in accepting Traders on the forum - I was amazed after talking to one of, if not the, foremost experts on Rover 75s in the UK to hear that he was refused trading status here.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 07:18   #28
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snetty View Post
Poor service and workmanship does need to be investigated, maybe by a group of impartial respected members separate from the mods.
The problem with respected members is the number of times they're the problem.

Our now banned former regional secretary was a respected member until he wasn't.

The trader who ripped us off is a 'respected' member.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 07:24   #29
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Is there more credibility is bestowed upon that member than a standard member?, perhaps a view that a trading member is somehow vetted or indeed endorsed my the club itself

Personally i don't view them anymore or less regard than a normal member. When someone becomes a trader i see that they've paid some extra money and nothing else. That's not a criticism just that I see it more as an advertisement here rather than an endorsement by the club.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

Last edited by topman; 27th May 2017 at 07:32..
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 07:30   #30
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

I tend to agree with Mark (Sworks) on this.

Personally I think a ratings system would be a step forward however it is only workable if genuine reviews and ratings are given - personality shouldn't come into it.

The issue with this would be that one person's bad experience could detrimentally affect a traders otherwise good rating

I suppose traders could open a feedback thread, thereby allowing potential buyers to put on record their experience - but again one bad experience could cause a lot of harm.

As a mere mod I'm afraid I don't know
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote