Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th May 2017, 17:21   #1
conductorwomble

Rover 75 Saloon

Default I've just having problems getting it out of 2nd gear.

Hi all. Over the last couple of days, I've noticed a problem getting it out of second gear, usually in the most awkward locations. And to make it worse, we're on holiday in the Lake District!

Most of the time, it appears to be ok, but when it does go wrong, I can't get it out of 2nd gear and the clutch pedal appears to be quite close to the floor. However, if you pump the pedal a few times, it appears to be ok.

The garage I took it took to in Windermere, changed the gearbox oil but couldn't find a replacement cable in time. Unfortunately, the same thing happen on the way back from the garage.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is, especially as we're due to head off to Glasgow on Saturday!

Thanks,

Nick

PS It's a 2004 Facelifted 2.0 L Diesel (BMW).

Last edited by conductorwomble; 25th May 2017 at 17:25.. Reason: Missed a bit out!
conductorwomble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 17:38   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Suggest you post this in the Technical forum, this is the wrong forum for your problem
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 18:45   #3
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

I'm afraid that sounds like your clutch has failed...

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 18:50   #4
conductorwomble

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Suggest you post this in the Technical forum, this is the wrong forum for your problem
Sorry, I'm new to this forum and still finding my way around it!
Old 25th May 2017, 18:52   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conductorwomble View Post
The garage I took it took to in Windermere, changed the gearbox oil but couldn't find a replacement cable in time.
What cable The clutch is hydraulic and it sounds as if you are losing/have lost fluid. You might get away with topping the fluid up but its not an easy procedure to describe.

This "might" help:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
The clutch reservoir is part of the master cylinder at the top of the clutch pedal and a real PITA to get at. Remove the trim panel under the steering wheel, two screws at the front secure it, once they are removed it just pulls off. The pedal cover will drop out of the way. Now this next step hurts, you need to get you hand up the left hand side of the clutch pedal to get at the reservoir, undo the cap and remove the seal. Best way to check the level is to dip it with your finger. I suspect it will be empty, to fill it you really need a syringe and rubber tubing. Filling the reservoir and pumping the pedal a few times "should" get you a clutch back for a while but you need to investigate where the fluid has gone. If you can get under the car check the drain hole at the bottom of the bell housing, if there is fluid around the drain hole the slave has sprung a leak.
If the level in the reservoir is OK it could be the seals in the master allowing fluid past.

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 25th May 2017 at 19:05..
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 19:05   #6
conductorwomble

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
I'm afraid that sounds like your clutch has failed...
You'll have excuse my lack of mechanical knowledge, but why does the problem only seem to affect second gear? Also, why does it go for a while with no problems and why does pumping the pedal get rid of the problem, if only temporarily?

Signed

confused.com
Old 25th May 2017, 19:07   #7
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Hi ConductorWomble.
I don't think your car has a cable operated clutch..It's operated hydraulically​ and from what you discribe it sounds like its either the slave or mass cylinder has worn. When it starts to go ,you need to depress the clutch pedal a few times to build the pressure of the fluid up..
Its well documented on the site if you do a search on in.
All the best and hope you get it sorted soon buddy.
Johnny
Old 25th May 2017, 19:13   #8
conductorwomble

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
What cable
That's what I thought!!!

I've read that a replacement aluminium one manufactured by TAZU is a good investment. I might try that regardless.

I don't usually spend valuable Holiday time browsing the internet, but thanks for the responses so far!
Old 28th May 2017, 13:58   #9
conductorwomble

Rover 75 Saloon

Oh Poo. The problem came to a head yesterday afternoon in Ambleside, whilst heading for Glasgow. No amount of pumping worked this time and I had to call the AA. The chap was brilliant but, despite topping up the Master Slave cylinder and bleeding the system several times, it clearly wasn't going to get us Glasgow, so we ended up being towed to my Sister's place. It is now safely locked up in my Brother-in-Laws compound awaiting attention!
Old 30th May 2017, 20:41   #10
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

So, he topped up the master cylinder? The one inside the car behind the steering wheel? Without swearing?
You think I'm joking, well only a bit perhaps... The other thing is, if he topped it up, and it had gone dry, it would be a two person job to bleed, and even then a right pig.
It's all acedemic I know, since it looks like you either have a leak (possibly at the joint) , or either the master or the slave has gone. It's really important to pin down which, since changing the slave is a gearbox out (well nearly) job, and most people will usually change the clutch as well.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote