Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th May 2017, 07:50   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Extra security at events

We have extra armed police at some events.
I'm not sure they are much of a deterrent unless they are stopping and searching.
Would it be unreasonable for security teams to be targeting people of a certain look?

Would it be raciest, victimization or justifiable?

With every bus, every carriage of every train, every Theatre, every cinema, every football ground, every cricket ground, every pub, every club every etc etc how on earth can you make a country safe?

Has it worried you, are you nervous of going somewhere?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 08:04   #2
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Nope, not in the slightest. Far more chance of getting in a car accident on the way to the event than getting caught up in a bomb blast.
Hasn't changed my plans a jot.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 08:43   #3
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Mo But..

Quote:
I'm not sure they are much of a deterrent unless they are stopping and searching.
Would it be unreasonable for security teams to be targeting people of a certain look?

With every bus, every carriage of every train, every Theatre, every cinema, every football ground, every cricket ground, every pub, every club every etc etc how on earth can you make a country safe?

macafee2
No, but in my post of Security officer on a football ground, I could be caught up in something like this. It does feel like a game changer and I will be more aware that this could happen.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 11:34   #4
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:

Yes, yes and no

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 17:43   #5
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

Quote:

macafee2
They're not meant so much as a deterrent but more as a reassurance.

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 15:20   #6
neilb740
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 1.8

For a shooting attack like they have had in Paris, armed Police would at least provide a means of fighting back. Not much point shooting a suicide bomber after the bomb goes off though.
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 15:47   #7
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

In the 70's and early 80's every time my dad went to england he was profiled, searched and treated like a terrorist.

Some hotels and pubs refused him entry.

His crime being he had an Irish accent and a Belfast address.

Amusingly, he was the chief inspector of taxes for the british government so was usually not detained for very long at borders but he was always detained.

If profiling didn't work then, why would it work now?

And if we haven't learned from the mistakes we made three or four decades ago then what on earth have we been up to?
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 20:09   #8
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
In the 70's and early 80's every time my dad went to england he was profiled, searched and treated like a terrorist.

Some hotels and pubs refused him entry.

His crime being he had an Irish accent and a Belfast address.

Amusingly, he was the chief inspector of taxes for the british government so was usually not detained for very long at borders but he was always detained.

If profiling didn't work then, why would it work now?

And if we haven't learned from the mistakes we made three or four decades ago then what on earth have we been up to?

It’s called asleep at the wheel. Meaning it always ends in a bad way. There seems to be a reluctance to face the obvious, that it only takes 1 in 10,000 to be effective. To guarantee prevention means the impact on everybody else is massive and divides and disrupts beyond measure. That’s exactly what the bomber wants.

The remedy is simple, and without the use of weapons of destruction. But that doesn’t mean easy. The young minds must be taught to be questioning as well as inclusive and welcoming. The innocence of childhood must be preserved as the main means of fighting violent indoctrination.

Let the children, or their parents, who want instruction in ethereal discipline seek it on Sundays as it used to be. I’m not religious but wouldn’t want to prevent others from widening their knowledge so they can decide such things when they are older and wiser. This would apply to all faiths equally of course. Let’s teach our youngsters the value of contrast and comparison rather than compulsive evangelistic doctrine.