Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th May 2017, 12:57   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondhopkins View Post
My vagcom cable turned up this morning, did the solder 7-8 pin mod, installed the drivers that came with the vagcom NOT the ones on toaf website as they don't work with it, plugged it in, started toaf in administrator mode, it saw the com port (my case com3 as had 2 other with bluetooth) hit connect and boom it worked... And oh my god where there some errors on the ecu, bcu, lcm, srs, abs, but these were mainly due to work that I knew had to be done in the past when it was the father in laws car. Now only error I have is drivers airbag wheel resistance too hig (so new clock spring ordered first ) .

And now I have once touch windows all round, 30% drl, follow me home lights, open all windows on key unlock (pity wont work on fob like my old focus did but still better than club spec) you can access everything on this software.

But please for the love of god every time you click a new module, hit backup fist and store it safe.

What a great piece of software and my bro in laws dad has a saloon 75 so can see if he wants any mods.

Next up, try and find a map to upload to make its a 160 ( saw in options xpower ps135 / ps160) but im guessing thats just a marker and not an actual map)
Yes that sounds like ZCS coding options, and changing those should be done very cautiously

There are no actual mapping files contained in the TOAF software, nor is it capable of downloading to the ECM.

The VN string of data is misleading if you are not aware of how it operates in relation to the rest of the car, and altering it will not result in any changes being made.

For instance if a car was to have 180 as the first three digits of the VN string, it would be seen to be a diesel 135, however with those same three digits being 008 ie 160PS, it would be seen as either a V6 ZT or an 1800T ZT, depending upon the GM data contained in the car, and not a 160PS diesel

It's a nice thought though

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 18:58   #12
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

For future reference, I tried a translucent blue "Newnow Mini OBDII Scan Advanced OBD SCAN TOOL", with the link between pin 7 & 8, with version 51 of TOAF.

This installed 2 virtual COM ports 5 & 7.

Unfortunately it failed to work with a "COM CONNECT ERROR".

Last edited by MarkS; 7th June 2017 at 19:15..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 12:18   #13
KOH
Regular poster

Rover 75 Auto Tourer

Default Com ports 1 to 4

Mark
as mentioned in other places TOAF will only handle Com ports 1 to 4 . you have to use Windows device manager to change the com no of your connection cable.
It will probably conflict with another allocated connection but go ahead and try it.
KOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 12:30   #14
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
For future reference, I tried a translucent blue "Newnow Mini OBDII Scan Advanced OBD SCAN TOOL", with the link between pin 7 & 8, with version 51 of TOAF.

This installed 2 virtual COM ports 5 & 7.

Unfortunately it failed to work with a "COM CONNECT ERROR".
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOH View Post
Mark
as mentioned in other places TOAF will only handle Com ports 1 to 4 . you have to use Windows device manager to change the com no of your connection cable.
It will probably conflict with another allocated connection but go ahead and try it.
Exactly the same problem I had with the two cables I purchased, I had COM Ports 1 and 3, still had connection error.

I've tried two different laptops and two different tablets which are running Win10, I get same problem on each device.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 14:17   #15
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOH View Post
Mark
Using XP.

I have deleted all unused hidden serial ports.
The Bluetooth is now COM3 & COM4.

In TOAF, the only selectable COM ports are "COM" & "COM". Note there are no numbers associated with COM.

Alas, still "COM Connect error" with either COM port.
Old 8th June 2017, 16:56   #16
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Exactly the same problem I had with the two cables I purchased, I had COM Ports 1 and 3, still had connection error.

I've tried two different laptops and two different tablets which are running Win10, I get same problem on each device.
Yes I remember you had problems Wes, I've no MGR any longer to test anything to do with Toaf now but your issue is really odd. Could you be soldering the two pins in mirror image??
Old 8th June 2017, 17:29   #17
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Yes I remember you had problems Wes, I've no MGR any longer to test anything to do with Toaf now but your issue is really odd. Could you be soldering the two pins in mirror image??
Hi Trev, the pins are numbered, I double checked, and checked again. I know I can be daft at times, but not that daft...
Old 8th June 2017, 17:34   #18
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Hi Trev, the pins are numbered, I double checked, and checked again. I know I can be daft at times, but not that daft...

A quick glance .. it looks to me like people are trying to use elm 327 based Bluetooth adapters. These aren't what is called for. It needs to be a vag cable - the type that works with vag-com on vw's.

The cheapie ones do the job fine.
fandango151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 17:49   #19
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandango151 View Post
A quick glance .. it looks to me like people are trying to use elm 327 based Bluetooth adapters. These aren't what is called for. It needs to be a vag cable - the type that works with vag-com on vw's.

The cheapie ones do the job fine.
I bought the KKL VAG-COM 409.1 cable, same as the one in the link.
Old 8th June 2017, 17:50   #20
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Talking

Quote:
Any chance of getting that in writing ?

Last edited by MarkS; 8th June 2017 at 17:53..