Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th December 2018, 12:42   #31
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Electric cars are ok for city driving or inner city suburbs but if you live in a place that has vast distances between cities like australia it is useless as they can only do about 300km and then need a recharge then wait half an hour!!
There is no way there will be recharge stations out the back of the desert.
Unfortunately there is no substitute for being able to carry extra fuel in remote areas.
Fossil fuel will be around for a while yet unkess hydrogen cell technology or solar/ electric advances alot further than present.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 12:54   #32
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
" wireless charging does exist " ... true , so does simple plug-in charging . BUt look at the way thats evolved, different plugs , different voltages , different charging rates and different ways of paying .
Wireless charging ??? sorry sir we use a different system .

Omega

Well - shooting down a proposition because of past experience in a quasi equivalent sort of way? Do we not continually learn from mistakes? In technological development do we not see a pattern of competing standards at the inception of a technology reducing down to a 'winning' standard once the technology matures? Or perhaps because similar things have presented as difficult in the past that we shouldn't try new things......

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 14:28   #33
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Yes, there are several different ways to recharge. So-called "granny charging" is simply plugging into a standard domestic three-pin socket - only to be used when there is no alternative. In fact, anything up to 3kW is considered slow charging, so would normally only be used when e.g. the car is parked overnight or at work.

"Fast" charging implies that the car won't be needed for up to 4 hours - as far as I remember, this is usually at 7kW DC or 22kW AC (which means that an AC-capable car like the Renault Zoe will gain 230 miles of range in two hours). Those who install a dedicated car charger at home would probably opt for a 7kW unit, meaning even the biggest-capacity EVs could be charged to 100% in 5-6 hours overnight.

Rapid charging should take no more than 45-50 minutes, with the caveat that once the battery has reached 80-85% capacity the speed at which it charges will drop. Rapid chargers are usually rated at 43kW AC or 50kW DC, so for example a 28kWh Hyundai Ioniq can charge to 80% in as little as 20 minutes. At the moment, there are nearly 4300 rapid DC or AC chargepoints across the UK, each with at least two charging connections.

Superfast charging is anything above 100kW - Tesla's units are usually 120kW and there are around 340 of those in the UK, while the Ionity network will provide between 150-350kW at a further 210 chargepoints across 35 locations along the motorway network. For now, not many EVs can fully exploit the upper end of that sort of charging speed - the Porsche Taycan and Audi e-Tron are two that I know of, neither of which would exactly be classed as affordable! At this speed, charging an EV is probably faster than filling a tank with fuel.

Most of the latest EVs offer a range of 450-500km on a single charge - Jaguar i-Pace, Hyundai Kona, Kia Niro, Tesla Model S/3/X/Roadster, Audi e-Tron, forthcoming new/upgraded models such as the Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq, Kia Soul, VW Neo (and its Audi/Seat/Skoda derivatives). There are mid-range versions of these too - 300km/200 miles of range looks set to be the minimum benchmark for these going forward.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 15:32   #34
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

I can really see electric trucks stopping every 300km, waiting up to 45 minutes before they can get going again.
To get from one side of our country to the other you need 4-5 hours of recharging time!! that is if there were any recharging stations across central australia.
As said good for city and town driving only!!!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 16:32   #35
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

When you say "trucks", do you mean large delivery vehicles like the Tesla Semi which tows up to 500 miles on a charge and can then recharge another 400 miles of range in 30 minutes at a Tesla megacharger? The one which can accelerate to 60mph in 20 seconds while hauling 80000lbs of cargo? The one that has been ordered by Walmart, Pepsi, Anheuser-Busch, Fedex, UPS, DHL and many other companies for whom long-distance haulage is central to their business?

At Australia's legal maximum for HGVs of 100kph, the first 800 non-stop kilometres would take 8 hours. How many hours are long-haul drivers in Australia required to work before taking a mandated rest break - are they allowed that half hour it would take to add the extra 640km to the battery?

If however you're doing your daily drive across Australia by car at the maximum 110kmh/68mph allowed (at least, that's what it was when I was there), after about 4 hours non-stop you'd have the first 270 miles covered - by happy coincidence, this is well within the range of a Hyundai Kona, a Kia Niro or other longer-range EVs I mentioned above. After how many hours do you take a rest break? I know that on my regular trips of 280 miles each way (which I do several times a year, including the weekend just past), I do like to push on but even I don't like to go more than 3 hours without taking some kind of break. I usually take at least 20 minutes to refuel, visit the facilities, have a bite to eat ... the difference being that at the moment, I have to lose the first 5-10 minutes of that between standing at the car while I fill it, then often queuing to pay. It'd be quite handy to just plug in and leave it there so that I could relax properly.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 17:45   #36
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

https://youtu.be/VyZOLMeMYnI

Here's a quick look at some arguments on reasons not to get an electric car. Perhaps not totally comprehensive but it's reasonably good.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 18:00   #37
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
When you say "trucks", do you mean large delivery vehicles like the Tesla Semi which tows up to 500 miles on a charge and can then recharge another 400 miles of range in 30 minutes at a Tesla megacharger?

Whenever traversing Australia by truck is mentioned I always think something more like this:

An electric version would be impressive.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 13th August 2019 at 09:25..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 18:04   #38
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

A lot of the Tesla S circuit boards are made in Derby - sorry but no thank you very much will pass on one of those after knowing a bit about them. There are no charge points where my static caravan is either so no electric car works for me. I'd consider a hybrid if I could afford one.But Blue is going nowhere. ☺

Last edited by Dawn; 12th August 2019 at 18:06..
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 18:04   #39
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Not quite ready for full electric but we ordered a 2020 Hyundai IONIQ hybrid last Saturday with expected delivery in September. Absolutely can’t wait and we would of changed in May had the facelift version not been Imminent. Looking forward to swapping the MG ZS.....

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 18:06   #40
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Not quite ready for full electric but we ordered a 2020 Hyundai IONIQ hybrid last Saturday with expected delivery in September. Absolutely can’t wait and we would of changed in May had the facelift version not been Imminent. Looking forward to swapping the MG ZS.....
Do keep us informed. That and the kia look like they may clear up at that size and price.

Do you test drive a demo car?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote