Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th June 2017, 23:02   #31
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
I have a feeling that we will end up with VED, fuel tax and a ROAD TOLLING SYSTEM in the not too distant future.
We will if people accept it.
Old 20th June 2017, 23:05   #32
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

All this talk about taxing the wealthy naming no names and not wanting to turn this thread political, but there is only one party that would happily tax the rich.

I agree Jim... I dont do many miles each year, my ZT's are just a hobby, not daily drivers. I do less miles than you, probably 1,500, so paying £305 VED is daylight robbery.

But! until the government can come up with a fair way of taxing us motorists, I have to look at the situation as my hobby which I enjoy. I dont smoke, dont drink, I have no vices anymore, so my little pleasure comes in the form of my cars, stops me going insane it does.

Last edited by Dallas; 21st June 2017 at 09:04..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 08:59   #33
philm
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer

Not to criticise anybody,several years ago there was the demonstration on fuel duty, ie blocking the fuel depot and disrupting fuel deliverys everybody was happy with this regards the protests against price,until it started affecting the fact they could not buy fuel so as to carry on there daily lives,so that all collapsed rather quickly,
My point being if the whole country were to stand together and protest over these things, then maybe just maybe we may get things to work they way we want,but one and all need to stand united.
Next thing where do you start firstly i would stop foreign aid and put all those millions into our services.
rant over
philm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 12:59   #34
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Personally I don't give a stuff, you have to have it and that's it.

I do less than 1500 miles a year, my Insurance is £145 a year, fully comp, etc, etc.

The VED I pay is £325.25 as I pay monthly as forking out £305 in one go is not always an option plus I don't have to think about it, just let it roll on.

I put in £20's of fuel in every 2 weeks sometimes it lasts longer, but I'm not complaining.

Originally I had another car an MG ZTT which I miss but sold it, however will get another and there is only me.

I'm not rich, wish I was so I would have even more cars.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 13:48   #35
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
All this talk about taxing the wealthy naming no names and not wanting to turn this thread political, but there is only one party that would happily tax the rich.

I agree Jim... I dont do many miles each year, my ZT's are just a hobby, not daily drivers. I do less miles than you, probably 1,500, so paying £305 VED is daylight robbery.

But! until the government can come up with a fair way of taxing us motorists, I have to look at the situation as my hobby which I enjoy. I dont smoke, dont drink, I have no vices anymore, so my little pleasure comes in the form of my cars, stops me going insane it does.
Oh dear, I cant even have my hobby anymore.

VED is not the problem, its the £900 cost of parts and labour for getting a clutch sorted.

The government is winning, the old cars are being forced of the roads.
Old 21st June 2017, 14:20   #36
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

A survey published recently in a car magazine stated that 'bangers' are declining with 38% of new licence holders opting to finance new cars. This will impact the number of older cars on the road over the years. Simply put, no one wants an old car with the risks associated with running them when you can have a shiny new disposable one on your street for 3 years at a fixed cost. Sadly we lose the ability to 'fiddle' with cars this way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 14:43   #37
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGRS View Post
I've always just treated VED as 'one of those things' and paid up - on the Mazda I now have as a 2nd car, it's £546.00 per year.
Accepted, i pay £546 on the Merc, £350 on the Honda and £350 again on the MG...
I still have a moan and a rant about prices, i feel its unfair and money is just played with in this country.
Its moral compass is so far embedded up its ar$e that im surprised we havent had more political messes.

The problem with this country is it tries to please everyone, things need to be set and done and just get on with it.
Instead we panda around the minority and screw ourselves over, Foriegn aid is one.... Benefits is another,
Tell you if you went back to ration tokens you'd soon find half the "oh i cant work cos i have 2000 kids" people would soon find a job.

And im not aiming that at anyone who is genuinely on benifits before i start a forum war, its aimed at spongers and the general scrat of the country that take advantage of an age old system designed to help.

I used to take interest in politics and i voted with confidence, but now.... its so far down the rabbit hole i just dont see the point.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 14:55   #38
neilb740
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
I have a feeling that we will end up with VED, fuel tax and a ROAD TOLLING SYSTEM in the not too distant future.
What do you think the current trend for "upgrading to smart motorways" is all about?

Gantries with cameras and fiber optic network connections positioned every few hundred meters.

They are installing the infrastructure for road charging by stealth! So when they decide to implement it they can say "oh it wont cost much, we can use existing equipment"

Then, like all other tax's disguised as charges they will implement it at a really low level to start with, until the plebs get used to it then creep it up at many times inflation.

Remember the low level the congestion "charge" started at?
It has now had a 130% increase in price since its introduction!

Last edited by neilb740; 21st June 2017 at 15:01..
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 15:02   #39
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
A survey published recently in a car magazine stated that 'bangers' are declining with 38% of new licence holders opting to finance new cars. This will impact the number of older cars on the road over the years. Simply put, no one wants an old car with the risks associated with running them when you can have a shiny new disposable one on your street for 3 years at a fixed cost. Sadly we lose the ability to 'fiddle' with cars this way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To true, there is already a decline in vehicle salvage/scrap yards where punters can walk in and take parts of cars. The government and the car manufactures aim is to phase this out, no used parts to be fitted to vehicles anymore, must only be new approved parts. I was told this 5 years ago by my large local scrap merchant (Charles Trent Ltd) leaders in vehicle recycling, its already happening.

Salvage yards are to be used only for vehicle disposal, nothing else. All families will be FITTED with new cars, most will be bought on HP/finance, more schemes will be offered (this is what will make the most money).

We've just done the new car thing, and it has turned out terrible, news on that later.

All us car enthusiast are doomed, the future seems not so bright in our eyes it seems.
Old 21st June 2017, 15:34   #40
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I will tell you why. It's the pollution that spews out of the chimneys in China making the cheap tyres that people buy over here.
Plus all the quality ones that are made there so they can make more profit as the workers are paid in bowls of rice.
Then 95% of consumer electronics..... Apple for example. I could go on and on.
Perhaps we should all buy British only. Now that's a discussion in itself