Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th February 2015, 12:03   #161
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakes View Post
I have sneaked on here from a Land Rover forum as somebody suggested there is a wealth of knowledge on here.

I have 3 Webasto heaters all of which are unknown, 1 is from a BMW 7s, 1 from a Peugeot 807 and finally 1 from a 75. All appear similar and I have tried to use the diagnostic software on all 3 of them. The only on that responds is the BMW and I can read the spec and stored fault codes. The other 2 just hang on the "Initialisation" page. I have tried setting the device to W-Bus and also the Rover and Peugeot settings but no luck. The BMW one responds on the W-Bus so I know the software and OBDII are working fine.

The plan is to try and get a least one working and then fit it to the Land Rover.

Any help from somebody who can guide me with the software/diagnosis would be much appreciated.

Keith
As much as i know,the two Rover types run without kbus need.

About the others,i think the software are different and dependant on the car.

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 13:10   #162
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchMike View Post
As much as i know,the two Rover types run without kbus need.

Mike
What bit I have learned, is that the later Rover version has Kbus, but it is only used for diagnostics. There is software in there which could have allowed it to be operated via K-bus, likely from the Hi-Line ICE system, but it was never implemented. On the BMW I understand it was and its ICE system could command the FBH.

T4 can interrogate via the K-bus on the later type for faults and possibly control it too I would expect.

The later (assuming it is the later version) Rover FBH hanging, probably means the PCB is faulty which is quite common. Mike, for a small fee, can repair these PCB's.

I think I am correct in suggesting that the earlier Rover FBH has no k-bus system at all (Mike ?)

There is much more information on the later Rover FBH to be found, if you click on the link in my sig.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 14:04   #163
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
What bit I have learned, is that the later Rover version has Kbus, but it is only used for diagnostics. There is software in there which could have allowed it to be operated via K-bus, likely from the Hi-Line ICE system, but it was never implemented. On the BMW I understand it was and its ICE system could command the FBH.

T4 can interrogate via the K-bus on the later type for faults and possibly control it too I would expect.

The later (assuming it is the later version) Rover FBH hanging, probably means the PCB is faulty which is quite common. Mike, for a small fee, can repair these PCB's.

I think I am correct in suggesting that the earlier Rover FBH has no k-bus system at all (Mike ?)

There is much more information on the later Rover FBH to be found, if you click on the link in my sig.
Totally agree Harry,

Consequently,the Rover's have a big advantage :they can be used
as stand alone heating system .

Mike
Old 18th February 2015, 14:09   #164
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
I have sneaked on here from a Land Rover forum as somebody suggested there is a wealth of knowledge on here.

I have 3 Webasto heaters all of which are unknown, 1 is from a BMW 7s, 1 from a Peugeot 807 and finally 1 from a 75. All appear similar and I have tried to use the diagnostic software on all 3 of them. The only on that responds is the BMW and I can read the spec and stored fault codes. The other 2 just hang on the "Initialisation" page. I have tried setting the device to W-Bus and also the Rover and Peugeot settings but no luck. The BMW one responds on the W-Bus so I know the software and OBDII are working fine.

The plan is to try and get a least one working and then fit it to the Land Rover.

Any help from somebody who can guide me with the software/diagnosis would be much appreciated.

Keith
As said above,fit the Rover one and forget the software ...
If the PCB is faulty,(see my diagnostics),i can help...

Mike
Old 18th February 2015, 16:11   #165
Drakes

None at the moment

I have read your thread and found it very interesting. I was trying to get the Webasto thermo test software to run on the heaters before I got as far as servicing or installing them to see if any faults had been logged which might imply I am wasting my time with any of the units if they were beyond repair. Thought the software could guide me in the servicing that might be required.
The Peugeot unit is 2006 so I thought this should work on the W-Bus setting of the software the same as the BMW (2005). I thought all models since 2000 are meant to be W-Bus units. The Rover unit is impossible to read the label but the year does start 19.

Keith
Drakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 16:18   #166
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
I have read your thread and found it very interesting. I was trying to get the Webasto thermo test software to run on the heaters before I got as far as servicing or installing them to see if any faults had been logged which might imply I am wasting my time with any of the units if they were beyond repair. Thought the software could guide me in the servicing that might be required.
The Peugeot unit is 2006 so I thought this should work on the W-Bus setting of the software the same as the BMW (2005). I thought all models since 2000 are meant to be W-Bus units. The Rover unit is impossible to read the label but the year does start 19.

Keith
To make a Rover unit running,you simply have to connect pin 1 to +batt
Old 18th February 2015, 16:23   #167
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
IThought the software could guide me in the servicing that might be required.

Keith
Nothing too difficult in the servicing, read this...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...68&postcount=5

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 18:00   #168
Drakes

None at the moment

Harry and Mike

I see I am speaking to you both. I understand it is simple to get the unit running and all I intend to use is a simple on/off switch. The use of the diagnostic software is really more of a curiosity thing having got it to work on the BMW unit and been able to read any logged faults and historic data is quite interesting even if it is not needed to run or service the unit. Now I have played with the software a bit it is frustrating more than anything else that I can not get it to work on the other units.

Keith
Drakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 12:52   #169
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

My FBH hasn't been firing up recently.

I have the older one.

I connected pin 3 to ground, and ran the test - it stopped after 5 minutes and 10 seconds.

It did appear to fire up about half way through (and made quite a lot of white smoke when it did), and the coolant started to warm.

The unit was serviced by me last year.

The temp was about 5° C, and I have a new uprated LR FBH thermostat fitted.

Thoughts on a postcard.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 13:59   #170
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
My FBH hasn't been firing up recently.

I have the older one.

I connected pin 3 to ground, and ran the test - it stopped after 5 minutes and 10 seconds.

It did appear to fire up about half way through (and made quite a lot of white smoke when it did), and the coolant started to warm.

The unit was serviced by me last year.

The temp was about 5° C, and I have a new uprated LR FBH thermostat fitted.

Thoughts on a postcard.
Hi Jack

To me, 5 minutes means PCB out of the picture

White smoke and coolant warm are good signs

Possible flame out

(if you start it by grounding pin3 ,it't the second type (kbus interfaced on pin 2)

Keep the connection ON while all the cycle

a nearly 6 years adventure !!!

Mike

Last edited by Dragrad; 22nd January 2016 at 00:17..