Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th May 2020, 20:42   #31
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

There is a good line in 'Dune' which goes 'Fear is the mind killer'. The unrelenting and highly biased media coverage of Covid 19 is creating so much fear that it's hard to think straight. We have a daily death total for a killer disease which on the ranking of killer diseases is worrisome for sure, but low compared to other causes of death. Worldwide 58 million people died in 2019, so Covid- 19 deaths at 0.3 million so far are lower than say tuberculosis deaths at 1.5million in 2018. Common seasonal flu kills circa 650,000 a year. RTA's worldwide account for 1,350,000 deaths, but do we see the media saying every day 'And today another 3700 people were killed on our roadways?'' Please don't drive your cars!
If you 'google' the figures, Covid-19 ranks less than number 20 and is dwarfed by deaths from cancer and heart disease. Yet heart and cancer patients have seen operations and treatment postponed because of covid-19.
I believe those who are afraid should stay at home and isolate , and those who are not should be allowed to make their own decisions as long as they don't put others at risk. My final point, the public sector NHS funded by private sector taxation won't be here to look after anyone if the private sector fails, which at present is happening rapidly as much of it remains locked down. The two metre rule will destroy thousands of businesses. We have to find a better way to control this disease and quickly or saving the NHS will be a minor worry as the young and healthy try to save themselves from destitution.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2020, 20:50   #32
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
There is a good line in 'Dune' which goes 'Fear is the mind killer'. The unrelenting and highly biased media coverage of Covid 19 is creating so much fear that it's hard to think straight. We have a daily death total for a killer disease which on the ranking of killer diseases is worrisome for sure, but low compared to other causes of death. Worldwide 58 million people died in 2019, so Covid- 19 deaths at 0.3 million so far are lower than say tuberculosis deaths at 1.5million in 2018. Common seasonal flu kills circa 650,000 a year. RTA's worldwide account for 1,350,000 deaths, but do we see the media saying every day 'And today another 3700 people were killed on our roadways?'' Please don't drive your cars!
If you 'google' the figures, Covid-19 ranks less than number 20 and is dwarfed by deaths from cancer and heart disease. Yet heart and cancer patients have seen operations and treatment postponed because of covid-19.
I believe those who are afraid should stay at home and isolate , and those who are not should be allowed to make their own decisions as long as they don't put others at risk. My final point, the public sector NHS funded by private sector taxation won't be here to look after anyone if the private sector fails, which at present is happening rapidly as much of it remains locked down. The two metre rule will destroy thousands of businesses. We have to find a better way to control this disease and quickly or saving the NHS will be a minor worry as the young and healthy try to save themselves from destitution.
Prefer the saying: we have nothing to fear but fear itself.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2020, 14:46   #33
Borg Warner

None

My wife received her updated appointment from the hospital yesterday for her next scan, previous one that was planned for around Easter naturally cancelled. Appointment date is the 5 June next week, so it looks like things are being restarted so as to get us back to "normal".

However.

Letter says that that she should get there no earlier than 5 minutes before appointment time and no later otherwise she will not be seen. She cannot take anyone with her unless she needs assistance/care. She doesn't. To say she is rather upset over this is somewhat of an understatement. She wants and needs me to be there, I want to be there. I can't because of my circumstances - chronic asthmatic.

So she called them to explain and ask for advice and give them their due they fully understood and postponed it until we are free of house arrest. Apparently a lot of folks are cancelling.

Fear eh? To be honest I'd take the risk, doubt it's that great, probably more at risk driving on the A14 for 10 miles, she is most insistent that I don't. Bless her.

Wonder how many will succumb to other conditions over the coming months and years?

What a mess we are all in.
Old 27th May 2020, 16:01   #34
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
My wife received her updated appointment from the hospital yesterday for her next scan, previous one that was planned for around Easter naturally cancelled. Appointment date is the 5 June next week, so it looks like things are being restarted so as to get us back to "normal".

However.

Letter says that that she should get there no earlier than 5 minutes before appointment time and no later otherwise she will not be seen. She cannot take anyone with her unless she needs assistance/care. She doesn't. To say she is rather upset over this is somewhat of an understatement. She wants and needs me to be there, I want to be there. I can't because of my circumstances - chronic asthmatic.

So she called them to explain and ask for advice and give them their due they fully understood and postponed it until we are free of house arrest. Apparently a lot of folks are cancelling.

Fear eh? To be honest I'd take the risk, doubt it's that great, probably more at risk driving on the A14 for 10 miles, she is most insistent that I don't. Bless her.

Wonder how many will succumb to other conditions over the coming months and years?

What a mess we are all in.
A14 eh? my wife used to work at both Addenbrooke's and Hinchingbrooke hospitals before making the move back north.

Currently the RVI are not allowing visitors, so it's patients only, and as a result of my mother needing to have a cast removed from her arm, and her being in the shielded category, my dad removed the cast at home.

I hope your wife manages to get in for her treatment soon though, I worry that both routine treatments, and planned appointments are being unnecessarily delayed as a result of the panic surrounding covid, and I honestly think this is more harmful than coronavirus itself.

Give her our best wishes please

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 19:10   #35
Borg Warner

None

I see the French have altered their accounting figures for the number of reported cases? On the 2nd June they had some 189220, on the 3rd June this had fallen to 151677????

Pretty certain if the UK government had pulled this one there would be hell to pay.

Let's be honest none of these figures bear any resemblance to the truth.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

As a consequence of this change on June 2, and the removal, on the same day, of the EHPAD and EMS Probable Case count on the official French Government Dashboard [source], we have revised France's time series accordingly by removing the EHPAD and EMS probable cases on the understanding that this new counting method (and its resulting total number of cases) has been determined by the French Government to be "more accurate."

Like the "more accurate" bit.

Anyway been suffering with sinusitis past week 10 days or so. Somewhat debilitating since the weekend, pain killers not even looking at it so called the Doc's on Monday, cos the NHS are open. Well after getting through the two sets of recorded information I managed to speak to a real human, well one of the receptionist* anyway. She advised that I log onto the askmyGP website and book a telephone consultation. Well I duly did and it worked, spoke to a Doctor chappie at my surgery who prescribed me some strong anti'bot'ics and things seem to be improving. Slowly.

The future of the NHS post CoronaVirus. Mmmm we'll see.

*My wife used to be a Doctor's Receptionist. No getting past her with rag nail......