Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th May 2020, 08:16   #1
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool On this day

19th May 1976

44 years ago

The Triumph TR7 was launched in the UK. It was characterised by its ‘wedge’ shape, which was commonly advertised as ‘The Shape of Things to Come’, and by a swage line sweeping down from the rear wing to just behind the front wheel. Power was provided by a 105-bhp (78-kW), 1,998-cc, 8-valve, 4-cylinder engine. Drive was to the rear wheels via a 4-speed gearbox, with optional 5-speed manual or 3-speed automatic. In total approximately 115,000 TR7 models were built, in 1980 The Triumph TR8, an eight-cylinder version designed by Harris Mann, , was launched in the US. Because of its outstanding performance, the TR8 was often dubbed the "English Corvette". The majority of TR8s were sold in the United States and Canada.but it was axed in 1981 when Rover’s Solihull factory in the West Midlands ceased making cars.

****Copied from another site

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2020, 08:36   #2
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Neighbour

One of my parents' neighbours bought one of the first ones. It was red and looked superb. Very unusual for the times. He took me out for a drive in it .
Nearly bought one 8 years later but didn't go through with.
Seen a couple of the V8 ones at shows

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2020, 10:59   #3
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
19th May 1976

44 years ago

The Triumph TR7 was launched in the UK. It was characterised by its ‘wedge’ shape, which was commonly advertised as ‘The Shape of Things to Come’, and by a swage line sweeping down from the rear wing to just behind the front wheel. Power was provided by a 105-bhp (78-kW), 1,998-cc, 8-valve, 4-cylinder engine. Drive was to the rear wheels via a 4-speed gearbox, with optional 5-speed manual or 3-speed automatic. In total approximately 115,000 TR7 models were built, in 1980 The Triumph TR8, an eight-cylinder version designed by Harris Mann, , was launched in the US. Because of its outstanding performance, the TR8 was often dubbed the "English Corvette". The majority of TR8s were sold in the United States and Canada.but it was axed in 1981 when Rover’s Solihull factory in the West Midlands ceased making cars.

****Copied from another site
I actually worked on one of the earliest and still surviving TR7s (Just checked and it's MOTd) reg number is MYE 778P used by Safety Devices to design the roll cage for the rally cars and then sold on.
It was an ex Leyland demo car bought by a pal of mine and I remember spending days removing every drop of underseal as part of it's conversion to production sports racing spec.Many good memories of these times traveling all over the UK with this on a trailer behind a Mk1 Transit pick up camping overnight at the circuit and having lager and bacon sandwiches for breakfast..

Here's a little quote about the car from Club Triumph

This car is one of the earliest TR7's still in existance (reg feb '75) and has been owned and raced by Dick Adams for 28 years. It was a BL Publicity car passed on to Safety Devices for use in developing the Rally program.

Surplus to requirements in 1978, it was sold to Dick for production car racing events. It was entered in the Willhire 24hrs (UK equivilent of Le Mans 24hr) 4 times but in sponsors (Bomacoat) maroon colours.
Here's some detail