Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th March 2011, 19:16   #1
Pumpwater
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Firefrost Red

Default CDTi Vibration when stationery

My CDTi vibrates annoyingly when ticking over, it seems that everything inside the car is vibrating slightly and the engine is idling at the natural vibration frequency of the car (I don't know whether that makes any sense). Perhaps some members with more experience than I have might have some ideas?
1. The engine idles at about 700rpm, is that correct
2. Can I slow it down (seems a bit fast) if so how
3. Anything else I should look for
My previous CDT saloon was very quiet on tickover, could hardly hear it
Thanks
Mike
Old 16th March 2011, 19:21   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Hi Mike, have you got a steering wheel damper fitted? Might reduce some of the vibration.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 19:21   #3
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

If you fit a synergy unit that will allow you to alter the tickover, it happens by chance really when you change tuner settings..

I don't know any other way to alter the tickover. Sorry.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 13:04   #4
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Diesel

The diesel tickover should be at 780 + or - 50 revs. The accurate way to check it is via the onboard diagnostics. (My rev counter shows 650 revs on tickover but the OBD shows 750) My diesel drives like a dream but has always been rough on tickover despite my efforts including rebuilt and balanced injectors which made no difference. No, it is not the lower engine mount either. The last thing you want to do is slow it down!

Last edited by wuzerk; 17th March 2011 at 13:08..
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 18:43   #5
man of kent
Loves to post

75 tourer auto diesel

I've posted recently on diesel vibration at tick over and 1800 rpm. It seems likely that each engine varies a bit. I tried a couple before buying mine. I'm not a believer in the wonderful BMW diesel syndrome. Peugeot Citroen/Ford build the best diesels now (Ford learning from Peugeot and Ricardo really). The BMW does however do big miles if you look after it - but so did diesels years ago, so whats new.

If you have a tourer without the roof vibration count yourself lucky.

I'm trying to determine whether the engine mounting rubber shore rating could have anything to do with it. i.e. the 'hardness' or shore rating must change with age, so is the vibration less with new mounting rubbers even though the ones you have look ok. Maybe the range of the shore rating specified by BMW/Rover was too wide. Maybe a mismatch between the shore rating and the vibration frequency?
man of kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 19:26   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Could be the engine mounts ageing. The engine and mounts could now have the same resonant frequency and the two together amplify the vibration.
Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 19:46   #7
simdel1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi, Porsche 944 Lux, MGF

I have the exact same problem, except the low idle is ok. I assume it's the engine mount. One day I'll buy a new one and see what difference it makes.

As others have said, making the low idle lower will actually make it much worse!

The Simdel1 Fleet:
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/447/sigmgf.png
simdel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 21:29   #8
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Diesel vibration

I have fitted a brand new Rover lower mount although the original had an
extremely small split in it, and I have modified a Mondeo mount, which is much better designed. The engine pivots smoothly and easily on the top mounts when the lower mount is disconnected but nothing I have tried has made any difference to tickover vibration and I am wondering if it is due to the fact that my car is an Auto. The vibration worsens if Drive or Reverse are selected when stationary i.e. the engine is placed under load.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 22:17   #9
flyer_phil
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Classic, 2003, Moonstone

I have to concur with Frederick (Wuzerk). Mine has always been a noisy and I have changed the lower engine mount and it has only made a slight difference.

I think its just the overall design.

My previous Peugeot 406 HDi was very smooth and quiet, and when warm you couldn't tell it was a diesel.

However I've been very disappointed with the Rover. When I first got it I was advised that if I changed the lower engine mount and fixed the thermostat so it got properly warm, then all would be well. However this has proved not to be the case.

The engine whilst powerful and efficient is just not very smooth and refined.
flyer_phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 10:50   #10
man of kent
Loves to post

75 tourer auto diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer_phil View Post
I have to concur with Frederick (Wuzerk). Mine has always been a noisy and I have changed the lower engine mount and it has only made a slight difference.

I think its just the overall design.

My previous Peugeot 406 HDi was very smooth and quiet, and when warm you couldn't tell it was a diesel.

However I've been very disappointed with the Rover. When I first got it I was advised that if I changed the lower engine mount and fixed the thermostat so it got properly warm, then all would be well. However this has proved not to be the case.

The engine whilst powerful and efficient is just not very smooth and refined.
I agree. I am disappointed with my BMW diesel. Not smooth and quite noisy - see my posts re engine clatter when warm. Has known resonance frequencies at tick over and 1800 rpm. 2 litre Peugeot is better by a long way on all counts. The Rover 75 in my opinion is a very good car let down by a rough diesel. It is however fine when driven hard and better as a manual. With an auto with automatic shifts up it does highlight the vibration as when cruising in any gear the engine is at 1800-2000 rpm just where the vibration frequency is.
man of kent is offline   Reply With Quote