Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th March 2010, 18:02   #1
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Default Is this the end of your radio / Tuner?

Is this the end of your radio?

In five years, all radios in the UK will switch to digital. This development was first announced some time ago, but it seems many people are still unaware of it. In fact, the government has been warned it is in danger of a public backlash when listeners realise what is happening in 2015.

Peers in the House of Lords say the plan to leave behind FM and AM could backfire when between 50 and 100 million analogue radios become largely redundant and around 20 million car radios stop working, unless they are converted.

The Communications Committee's findings suggest there is "public confusion and industry uncertainty" about the switchover, illustrating its point by insisting that many consumers are still buying analogue radios, even though they will soon become museum pieces.

They have warned of a "major public reaction" against the proposal, particularly when people realise that only 1% of all cars can receive digital, even though 20% of all radio listening takes place on the road.

There are serious concerns about how the elderly or members of disadvantaged communities will cope with the change. The report also criticises the decision to close 6 Music and the Asian Network, suggesting it sends out the wrong signal to listeners.

"No-one can be satisfied with the present position. There is an urgent need for clarity which was emphasised by almost all those who gave us evidence. No way forward is entirely painless but at the very least the public deserve to know what is being planned," stated the committee.

Are you looking forward to the 2015 digital switchover?
Or are you happy with the current analogue service and confused about the government's plans?
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 18:22   #2
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

I have DAB in the car, and frankly I'm a bit disappointed with it. When it's good, it IS good, but I only get a signal part of the time.

So unless they're going to greatly increase the number of transmitters, then it'll be awful.

Also, I thought that I'd have non-geographical coverage of stations - I like to listen to London's Magic, for instance - no problem on Freeview TV in getting it, but no go in the car a couple of miles outside the M25, whereas I can get it OK on FM in Tring.

And the DAB radio set in the house eats batteries, so they must take more energy to power them..........................

Malcolm
Old 29th March 2010, 18:24   #3
JohnDotCom

The DAB situation here in Wales unless using Digital TV reception is virtually nil in most areas and evidently won't improve.
What a joke.
I get mine through the TV.
The mains DAB Tuners do indeed for some reason use more current than the FM/AM equivalent.

With standard fitment in cars not even starting till 2013 I see many problems ahead.
So much for saving the planet, that lot will end up in landfills you wait and see.

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 29th March 2010 at 18:50..
Old 29th March 2010, 18:46   #4
Bernard LPG
I really should get out more.......

75 V6 Saloon 2003 LPG MGZT V8 260 LPG

Can't get any DAB where we live even with an aerial. Struggle to get Freeview also. The BBC doesn't struggle to extract the licence fee, however.
I expect the rules will have changed by the time I qualify for a free TV licence, not so far off now, unfortunately.
Bernard LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 19:01   #5
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

All I can see is that we end up paying for an (at present) inferior version of something that we already have.

One has to question who is benefitting from this, certainly not the consumer

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 19:03   #6
JohnDotCom

Quote:
One has to question who is benefitting from this, certainly not the consumer

Russ
Well the Government get the 17.5% VAT on all the units plus all the money from new Transmitting licences etc and then the money they make from selling the FM and AM frequencies to foreign Governments on the cheap.
Corrupt?
Old 29th March 2010, 20:56   #7
allegroman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Club SE: BRG, Deep Sea Green and plenty of options

50 to 100 million redundant radios... and the sales of new ones... how many tonnes of CO2 in that lot and how much hazardous waste exported to some third world backwater for 'recycling'...
Old 29th March 2010, 21:28   #8
Departed
Retired

--

I listened to a discussion about this on the way to work.

From what was said, analogue will not dissapear, but it was inferred that it would lose the national stuff. They said it will remain for local and community, so that says losing BBC to me.

You can get adaptors, a bit like the things you get for Ipods. Transmit on FM. The only nthing that will bug me is the loss of TP for traffic announcements. It works well especially since EON came in. Adaptors aren't going to be able to cope with that, unless they are very clever.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 08:36   #9
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

I rarely listen to Radio nowadays, don't even bother to play CD's lol, my Autochanger is practically redundant !

If I do listen to the Radio, it tends to be the "Oldies" Stations as to be honest, most of the other stations are somewhat annoying - Loud presenters who try to be funny (and fail mostly) or the same songlist played repeatedly all day

I miss Jazz FM and Red Rose Gold from when I was back in Lancashire.

Anyway, I cannot see myself being to much bothered about the change over on a personal level, though as mentioned the ecological impact is something to be looked at.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:47   #10
majedm75
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5V6+Auto - Pack Luxe & Sterling

Just when you thought you had all the unnecessary gadgets in the world, then comes a thing to make you buy something new and make the previous ones redundant
majedm75 is offline   Reply With Quote