Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th March 2020, 09:28   #1
Rollo_Somerset

Rover 75 saloon

Default Problem when starting

I have a KV6, 2001 Connie Saloon and it has a problem on starting. Starts OK but then runs like it is out of fuel and eventually stops. Runs really rough and throttle is unresponsive. 2 or 3 goes at starting like this and the engine warms up it runs fine although like down a bit on power initially. I know there a lot of sensors that control the mixture and timing and was wondering if it may be caused by one of them. Have had problems with the fuel pump, it died and I have replaced it but could not get the original pump. I don't think the problem is with the pump. I have reinitialised the Throttle sensor by pumping the throttle 5 times. Have tried cleaning the idle air control valve, it had a lot of muck in it. I have also cleaned the IAT/MAP sensor. Any ideas as to where to look next would be appreciated.
Rollo_Somerset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2020, 10:11   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo_Somerset View Post
I have a KV6, 2001 Connie Saloon and it has a problem on starting. Starts OK but then runs like it is out of fuel and eventually stops. Runs really rough and throttle is unresponsive. 2 or 3 goes at starting like this and the engine warms up it runs fine although like down a bit on power initially. I know there a lot of sensors that control the mixture and timing and was wondering if it may be caused by one of them. Have had problems with the fuel pump, it died and I have replaced it but could not get the original pump. I don't think the problem is with the pump. I have reinitialised the Throttle sensor by pumping the throttle 5 times. Have tried cleaning the idle air control valve, it had a lot of muck in it. I have also cleaned the IAT/MAP sensor. Any ideas as to where to look next would be appreciated.
Your early 2001 should be the early filter type which doesn't unscrew like the later models. First thing I'd check is the fuel pressure - needs about 3.5 bar. I had a V6 with only 2 bar pressure and it behaved very much like you describe.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2020, 00:16   #3
Rollo_Somerset

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks, I will check that though I still think it is in one of the sensors as it runs perfectly when warm. yes I know about the filter and I took it out and cleaned it, was filthy. The fuel out was black. OK now.
Old 15th March 2020, 08:55   #4
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Got me wondering now - didn't know it was possible to open the early type filter. The internal bits of the fuel tank is poster T-Cut's speciality, hopefully he'll see this.

Let us know what the pressure is when you find the time to measure it.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2020, 10:13   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
yes I know about the filter and I took it out and cleaned it, was filthy. The fuel out was black. OK now.
If you opened and cleaned the fuel filter, then surely you have the later type? The earlier type aren't easily opened and aren't designed to be serviced.

Did you 'unscrew' the cap to get to the filter? if so I suspect you have FFS.
For info, filter elements go black within a year or so from new, so appearances are very deceptive. They're also a way of luring you into deeper trouble. In my experience, once a filter module is opened up, the tendency for FFS increases, so fitting the orange clip is essential.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 15th March 2020 at 10:15..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2020, 00:33   #6
Rollo_Somerset

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
If you opened and cleaned the fuel filter, then surely you have the later type? The earlier type aren't easily opened and aren't designed to be serviced.

For info, filter elements go black within a year or so from new, so appearances are very deceptive. They're also a way of luring you into deeper trouble. In my experience, once a filter module is opened up, the tendency for FFS increases, so fitting the orange clip is essential.

TC
this filter was a VDO filter, made in England and had 10 007 005 stamped on it. It had , I think, 3 O-rings in it.
Old 18th March 2020, 08:36   #7
Rollo_Somerset

Rover 75 saloon

Default Ffs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post

TC
Sorry T-Cut,
FFS? whats that?
Old 18th March 2020, 19:47   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Sorry T-Cut,
FFS? whats that?
Not what you think---

Fuel filter syndrome.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2020, 18:52   #9
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Sorry T-Cut,
FFS? whats that?
If you have FFS you will need a FOC

Fabled Orange Clip - now white i think - binds your fuel filter - on later cars they come apart leading to starting issues and its a pretty common issue but an easy fix - once the clip is in place all sorted - only 3 or 4 pounds to buy.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2020, 00:53   #10
Rollo_Somerset

Rover 75 saloon

So is the clip a fix for FFS. The car runs perfectly when warm so long as I have enough fuel in the RH tank. I suspect I may have missed connecting a hose on the filter as one of them is meant to syphon back to the RH tank. I think it goes into the swirl pot of the pump. There are, from memory, 3 hoses coming from the pump to the filter and 1 coming out of the filter to the engine.
I suspect my starting problem is to do with one of the sensors feeding the Engine Management Unit. only appears on initial startup but feels like the engine is being starved of fuel. I may replace the Throttle Position Sensor but the problem has only started since I replaced the fuel pump. Could not get the original pump.