Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th March 2020, 15:40   #1
morgymoo

rover 75

Default 2003 rover 75 1800 petrol non start fuel problem

Hi all, car wont start, cranking over fine, no sound from fuel pump with ignition on. After reading several posts. I have swapped relay r3 and checked fuse 28 all good. I have no power at the purple and white wire that feeds the pump. If i were to remove the relay and put 12v power to the purple and white that feeds the pump the car should start (yes ?). My question is if this works which wire to the relay should have ignition feed so that i can run a new feed to that
Thanks for any advice in advance
morgymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2020, 17:11   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Does the pump not run while cranking on the starter? You need an assistant to listen down the tank filler while you turn the engine over. If the engine doesn't start, the pump is turned off. Have you got the FOC (Fabled Orange Clip) on the fuel filter?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2020, 17:46   #3
morgymoo

rover 75

Smile monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Does the pump not run while cranking on the starter? You need an assistant to listen down the tank filler while you turn the engine over. If the engine doesn't start, the pump is turned off. Have you got the FOC (Fabled Orange Clip) on the fuel filter?

TC
I will listen for pump whilst cranking tomorrow and check for foc .Surely pump should prime with ignition switched on.,and would it not have power to it anyway ?.Just trying to understand it
Old 15th March 2020, 17:58   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgymoo View Post
I will listen for pump whilst cranking tomorrow and check for foc .Surely pump should prime with ignition switched on.,and would it not have power to it anyway ?.Just trying to understand it
No cranking needed.----

Will run for anything up to a minute before turning itself off.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2020, 18:11   #5
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Hi all, car wont start, cranking over fine, no sound from fuel pump with ignition on. After reading several posts. I have swapped relay r3 and checked fuse 28 all good. I have no power at the purple and white wire that feeds the pump. If i were to remove the relay and put 12v power to the purple and white that feeds the pump the car should start (yes ?). My question is if this works which wire to the relay should have ignition feed so that i can run a new feed to that
Thanks for any advice in advance
If you were to put power directly on the purple/white and the black is earthed then yes it should run the pump.

I understand that if the crankshaft sensor is defective then the fuel relay will not energise - is yours working, any fault codes, observe while cranking if the rev needle moves.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2020, 20:48   #6
morgymoo

rover 75

Smile fault codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
If you were to put power directly on the purple/white and the black is earthed then yes it should run the pump.

I understand that if the crankshaft sensor is defective then the fuel relay will not energise - is yours working, any fault codes, observe while cranking if the rev needle moves.

Regards
Ok thanks for that. Have had delphi diagnostics on there, no crank sensor faults, did have a fuel relay fault, after swapping relay cleared the fault. Fault has not come back since. (no fault codes).I will check if rev counter moves whilst cranking tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 18:55   #7
morgymoo

rover 75

Default update

Quote:
Ok thanks for that. Have had delphi diagnostics on there, no crank sensor faults, did have a fuel relay fault, after swapping relay cleared the fault. Fault has not come back since. (no fault codes).I will check if rev counter moves whilst cranking tomorrow.
Thanks
So been today.There is no orange clip on the filter but everything looks as should be no separation. Put direct power to pump (on a noisy road) but did not hear pump running. I looked at the rev counter while cranking it only moves about 5mm not even to first mark and does not move or jump about until the key is released and then it goes back down about 5mm to stop. could this be the crank sensor not giving a signal to pump relay?.If so is the sensor the one at the front in the bell housing?
thanks for your help
Old 16th March 2020, 19:05   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
So been today.There is no orange clip on the filter but everything looks as should be no separation. Put direct power to pump (on a noisy road) but did not hear pump running. I looked at the rev counter while cranking it only moves about 5mm not even to first mark and does not move or jump about until the key is released and then it goes back down about 5mm to stop. could this be the crank sensor not giving a signal to pump relay?.If so is the sensor the one at the front in the bell housing?
thanks for your help
As the car is a 2003 then I would expect the later type filter, or the one that the clip was produced for.

OK you put power directly to the pump and didn't hear anything but did you ensure the black cable or pin was earthed? And you lifted the rear seat and removed the normal plug on the fuel filter to do this?

Sorry I've no idea where to find the crank sensor on a 1.8 (only have V6s), use the search bar. But as the needle does move I would think the sensor is fine.

Regards
Old 16th March 2020, 19:18   #9
morgymoo

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
As the car is a 2003 then I would expect the later type filter, or the one that the clip was produced for.

OK you put power directly to the pump and didn't hear anything but did you ensure the black cable or pin was earthed? And you lifted the rear seat and removed the normal plug on the fuel filter to do this?

Sorry I've no idea where to find the crank sensor on a 1.8 (only have V6s), use the search bar. But as the needle does move I would think the sensor is fine.

Regards
Yes i lifted the seat and removed the plug from the pump, then put live to the middle pin on the pump, which the(purple and white) wire go to and the negative to the middle pin on the other side of the pump which the ( thick black) goes to. Both direct from the battery. I did not hear the pump, how strange because there is definitely no power on the purple and white either ?

Last edited by morgymoo; 16th March 2020 at 19:34..
Old 16th March 2020, 19:38   #10
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Very strange, I've used this routine on my own cars and it works. While normally reliable it wouldn't be the first case of pump failure.

Regards