Old 7th March 2020, 10:47   #11
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default I have these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Nice to see the old Fords, what else have you in your collection Mike?
I have these others, the Punto is going to be my daily driver around the Summer, great little cars and nippy. I'm using a 1.2 Punto right now.
The MK3 2000E is being rebuilt from the ground up, basically a new one with the amount of new bits I have for it.
The Moggie is purely to sell once it's done, the engine is away being rebored right now.
The Victor is being repaired from back to front, the crash damage is being cut away and replaced with donor parts from another shell I deconstructed.
I still have the 75 and the ZT is getting worked on every few days in rotation with the other cars, it stops the boredom and feelings of getting nowhere fast.
I still have all that brand new running gear for the ZT that doesn't have a single rust mark anywhere near, that's going to be a great look under the car. I've been doing all kinds of things that I'll show over the coming months, I'll start a craze with some of it for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5778 - Copy.jpg (136.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 61.jpg (120.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6179 - Copy.jpg (129.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Victor Pics 046.jpg (116.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Rover 75 018.jpg (146.2 KB, 32 views)
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2020, 11:51   #12
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I must be old, I still think of the Cortina Crusader as a modern car
I was thinking along the same lines. I was looking at the rust and thinking, 'that is pretty severe' , then realising they stopped making them nearly 40 years ago lol. (They stopped making the Sierra 27 years ago, I dont know which thought is worse now lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
The Crusader was the run out model, I had a Carousel back in the late 80's too. The real term for the MK5 Cortina was Cortina 80 but it just got known as the MK5. This car is from Hull, the first and second owners lived next door to each other, I'm the third documented owner, did I mention the Sierra I got about three years ago? This is mine, I believe it's the oldest one left in the UK, you should see the new stuff I have for this, the MOT history made it out to be a rot box, the truth is that it had some rust at the rear of the sills that has been repaired not too well. The guy had a dog that has chewed the rear of the drivers seat, I need to get a new cover but I have everything else. Note the sticker, `A dog is for life, not just the Christmas party`.
I find it bizarre that when looking at the engine bay, how much of the ground below the car you can see, compared to now. The simplicity of it all. Visibly only two simple brackets, left and right holding the engine in place.

My late neighbour was a Ford man, my earliest memory of him (I live in my grandparents old home)was him pulling his mk4 from the garage by the bumper as he always did, to wash it every saturday, then push it back in. He did exactly the same with his Crusader. But he lamented not being able to do it with the Sierra that replaced that, because of the plastic bumper, he didnt think it strong enough.

He fell out with Ford after a Mondeo he had would go through rear suspension bushes every three months, and they wouldnt sort it for him. His last cars were Hyundais. Apparently the crusader was his favourite, he told me one day when talking about cleaning cars.

I wish you good luck and good health to enjoy both working and driving your cars.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2020, 12:17   #13
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Is the 200E in picture 2?
Old 7th March 2020, 12:51   #14
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I bought this Crusader Cortina a few years ago just as my eyes started playing up, it cost me the grand sum of £300 and a bargain. I've done some repairs to it where the `Zeibart` didn't do a good enough job. It's only done 72,000 miles and I hope to be able to use it over the Summer months with a bit of luck. It's like a lot of cars, you see rust and doom sets in. I see rust and a challenge to beat it, many cars have been lost by accepting that the rust wins. This car has some rust but it's incredible underneath, it's up there with museum quality but the tin worm got into it in a few places. I'm bouncing between cars to avoid the boredom that can happen with one job, I did this work a while ago but I'm back on it along with the Victor and other cars. A true labour of love for me and I'm happy again to be able to work on my cars at last.
Nice one Michael, superb old school motoring. I myself have just bought a Ford Capri, thankfully all the hard work has already been done, floor, inner and outta sills, wings etc, was one of the reasons why I bought it.

Its marvellous to be back in an old Ford again, these cars are so easy to work on, great fun. I've had the Capri four weeks now, and I've been out in it everyday, that is more than I drive the ZT or the TF, I feel so guilty.

What I love about these cars is the simplicity on being able to fix them, especially the huge engine bay which makes fixing them a joy.

Here's the old girl.

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2020, 13:19   #15
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

I also had Mk 4 Cortinas as company cars, plus a capri and Several Sierra's.

Before you get too misty eyed about the (later) MK 4's, don't forget Ford's version of the Webber carb.

Cardboard sleeves on the sunvisor showing you how to dance with the throttle, in order to start the engine.

Numerous denials that there was a problem. etc.etc.

I do agree however, they were very good work horses, even the sierras.

Regards

Mike

Previously
2002 75 1.8 auto Club SE,
2000 75 1.8 auto Classic SE (Company Car)
1997 420 (Company Car)
1996 216 cabriolet,
198? 213 VDP
1986 SD1 V8 VDP,
1968 2000TC,
1966 2000.

Last edited by BRG75; 7th March 2020 at 13:21..
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2020, 17:18   #16
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Brilliant collection of cars and nice to see some of them restored, sadly its the every day cars that we were so used to seeing that disappear from our roads.
Id like a late model Sierra as a keeper, everyone wants the Cossies but Id be happy with a 2 litre twin cam or a 2.9 4x4.

Do you not find having so many projects on the go that nothing actually gets finished though? No discredit to you but if it was me I'd concentrate on one, fix that first then move along to the next

Like the pictures, keep up the good work!
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2020, 17:46   #17
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG75 View Post

I do agree however, they were very good work horses, even the sierras.

Regards

Mike

I wish I could get a sierra estate now, cavernous as I recall, ideal for getting my mountain bike in. I also recall getting mid 40’s mpg in a 1.6 petrol manual hire car, or am I dreaming?
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2020, 18:36   #18
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Is the 200E in picture 2?
That's the E. It's having all NOS panels, the front is already mostly done. I'm thinking of having it dipped when the shell is built. I've done some mock ups with various parts and it'll be lined up better than it was new, simply because I have the time to make it precise.
Here's some of the bits and some of the goodies from one box of about twenty that are crammed with NOS Cortina bits. I have around 85% of a new car.
The starter I refurbed using genuine old stock Lucas parts, no-one else would get this done without the correct parts, I'm very lucky to be able to have access to such stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62.jpg (125.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 63.jpg (121.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20190706_111258.jpg (131.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20190802_113014.jpg (129.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20190903_085704.jpg (127.5 KB, 25 views)
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2020, 22:49   #19
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

I had a Rio Brown Crusader years ago, never did get it on the road though, it was so close but just never happened, it was a tidy thing, I had the rear end welded up just by the petrol tank & all it needed was the front legs plated & it would have been sorted
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2020, 19:00   #20
mbev51
Banned

Removed

My father had a two tone green carousel, think that was name of the special edition. Was a good car.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote