Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th February 2020, 21:59   #1
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Default ban on uk cars

I see Borris has brought forward a ban on sales of all petrol, diesel and even hybrid cars to 2035.
This will be interesting to see!!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2020, 22:08   #2
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Thats "NEW CARS", and as they have an expected life of approx 10 to 15 years ICE powered vehicles will be around for a long time yet.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2020, 22:25   #3
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

With massive new infrastructure required, at least 25 million roadside charging points required, ( that's 4,000 a day if we start installing them today), more than a third of Britons commute by car, all arriving home after work, and plugging their cars in.

Another20 gigawatts required...that's double what we currently use.

The plan to rip put all gas powered central heating in domestic homes...and replace with electric...then the problem of being unable to source all the lithium needed for the electric cars that replace petrol/diesel cars... the need to use rare-earth metals such as neodymium to make magnets that make electric motors run, China controls 80% of the global market for rare-earth metals.

Can anyone see any problems in the future ???
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2020, 22:37   #4
oswestryalex
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T connoisseur saloon 2003 in blue , MG ZT 190+ 2003

The problem here is the killing of incentive for development of the hybrid cars - which are also going to be banned as new sales from 2035; that means companies now only have 14 years left to exploit the market which is small still, and will not grow as people will now feel the resale value of their hybrids will plummet. No one is going to make the investment in the hybrid technologies now so that will stagnate and the hybrids will die completely within the next 8-10 years. Let's hope the fully electric ones are available and as good as they say... mind you, I shan't be buying anything costing serious money and certainly not brand new... so stick with our 75s and MG ZTs I think...
oswestryalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2020, 22:58   #5
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Well! I just bought a 34 year old car today, I say long live the fuel combustion engine.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2020, 23:06   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
With massive new infrastructure required, at least 25 million roadside charging points required, ( that's 4,000 a day if we start installing them today), more than a third of Britons commute by car, all arriving home after work, and plugging their cars in.

Another20 gigawatts required...that's double what we currently use.

The plan to rip put all gas powered central heating in domestic homes...and replace with electric...then the problem of being unable to source all the lithium needed for the electric cars that replace petrol/diesel cars... the need to use rare-earth metals such as neodymium to make magnets that make electric motors run, China controls 80% of the global market for rare-earth metals.

Can anyone see any problems in the future ???
Charging posts won't be required as all the batteries will be plug in.

Drive into a garage and an automatic battery changer will unplug and plug in a new battery in less than a minute.

Discharged battery drops down and moves aside while a new battery raises up and plugs and locks in automatically.

As quick as filling up with petrol or diesel.

Garages, instead of having under ground tanks will just have a large storage shed with automatic turn around on the batteries.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2020, 23:10   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Forgot.

Further to above post, battery charging will take place 24 hours a day with no sudden load on the countries electricity supplies.

Will take all those fuel tankers off the road as electricity can be supplied almost anywhere at instant notice. ( Running at 186,000 miles per second. )----
Old 5th February 2020, 23:21   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Take a look at the progress this lot are making.---

Electric Cars, Solar Panels & Clean Energy Storage | Tesla

Old 5th February 2020, 23:34   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Petrol and diesel drivers have to find a garage to fill their tanks.---Drivers of electric cars will also have to do the same.
Ranges of the electric cars are improving quite rapidly plus there will be the added advantage of topping up at home. Something you can't do with petrol or diesel.---

The future is ELECTRIC.----------Shocking for some.---
Old 5th February 2020, 23:40   #10
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

A lot of misinformation here! With 38 million cars on UK roads, how can anyone think we need 25 million roadside chargers? If you get an electric car then most of the charging SHOULD be done at home. To get a home charger you have to have a “smart” meter so you can be charged more when electricity demand is high and less when demand is low and there is lots of spare generating capacity overnight. (our car is currently charging at 7p per KWH).

Hybrid are neither fish nor fowl and are only marginally more efficient than petrol cars and the most absurd are the “self charging” hybrids being flogged by the Japanese. How does using a petrol engine to generate electricity to charge a battery make any sense? almost as ridiculous as the previous governments persuading the financial challenged to drive diesels!