Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th October 2019, 11:01   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Wine making

A few months ago a friend restarted making wine, something I have not done for around 25 years after which I disposed of everything. I was too busy and with wine prices low, it wasn't really worth the effort.

Yesterday I thought - why not, so I began looking around for equipment, both new and second hand. I dropped (very) lucky with second hand, from someone who had been a very enthusiastic wine maker and bought lots of kit, but was having to downsize into a smaller home. There was around £2-300 pounds worth included for £20. My car was full including passenger seat, back seat, floor and boot. Far too much for my needs, so I shall be passing quite a lot of it onto 'friend'.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 15:57   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

I'm puzzled by two items in the kit, now I've had a bit more time to investigate...

One red one blue one, made from a flexible foam, mug shaped or glass shaped and they have 'FROSTY' in large letters printed on their sides. Each has a hole in the bottom and they are a touch too small to fit a 75cl bottle bottom.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 28th October 2019, 09:32   #3
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Some sort of filter? - is there a suction filter pump that they would fit in?
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2019, 11:42   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Some sort of filter? - is there a suction filter pump that they would fit in?
I have worked it out thanks - its an insulator for a chilled can of beer. You pop a cold beer can in the sleeve and it helps to keep it cool.

Old 29th October 2019, 08:00   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Ahh yes - obvious from your description now but not so clear if focused on wine “making” - rather than “drinking”

We have a couple of these we bought in Australia - where a beer can turn tepid in minutes. Ours are in the shape of little T-shirts that slip over a glass or a can.

Sadly not found much call to use them here even in the height of summer.....
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2019, 12:10   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Sadly not found much call to use them here even in the height of summer.....
Could always use them in winter to stop the beer freezing.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2019, 16:27   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
My car was full including passenger seat, back seat, floor and boot. Far too much for my needs, so I shall be passing quite a lot of it onto 'friend'.
Included with the kit was a 30 bottle medium Italian white wine kit, which just needed 3.5Kg of sugar, so I bought that on Sunday and had it all set up by 14:30. I was under the impression it would begin bubbling almost immediately, rather than the 2 or 3 days before the fermentation begins.

There was still no action at 09:20 when I checked it and I was wondering if the yeast might have been dead. At 09:30 it gave a tremendous burp, blowing most of the water out of the airlock and its been bubbling steadily since.

Things have changed quite a bit, since I was last involved. Many of the home brewing dealers have gone and there are many more gadgets to be had than ever to ease the process. You can even buy an LAN connected airlock, so you can monitor the process remotely via a smart phone.

Most of the dealers seem to be online sources now, rather than bricks and mortar shops.

Old 30th October 2019, 20:04   #8
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Pity your not nearer Harry, I have a vine with a bumper crop of black grapes on it, its 40years old and this is one of the best crops, certainly 20kilos and nearly sweet enough the eat, but its most likely going to feed the Black birds and Magpies. mind you making wine from grapes is a bit of a chore. Best of luck. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2019, 07:33   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
Pity your not nearer Harry, I have a vine with a bumper crop of black grapes on it, its 40years old and this is one of the best crops, certainly 20kilos and nearly sweet enough the eat, but its most likely going to feed the Black birds and Magpies. mind you making wine from grapes is a bit of a chore. Best of luck. Chris.S.
Thanks, all is going very well so far. Starting from grapes would be a step too far for me at the moment.

I am though looking at maybe brewing some dark stout from a kit. The only brewing I ever did, was barley wine long ago. It was very drinkable indeed.

Old 3rd November 2019, 22:58   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Thanks, all is going very well so far. Starting from grapes would be a step too far for me at the moment.

I am though looking at maybe brewing some dark stout from a kit. The only brewing I ever did, was barley wine long ago. It was very drinkable indeed.
Good luck with your brewing Harry. I had a very short think about it BUT-----

I'm less than a 100 metres from a seller of wine in any quantity you want made from thousands of M2 that surround our house here in France.----Hic.--Pardon.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg You lika da plonk.jpg (10.6 KB, 5 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote