Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th September 2019, 10:15   #11
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Have you checked your power steering fluid level?

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2019, 10:17   #12
Kev75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Mine had a drip from the oil filter, I did not tighten it enough when I changed the oil filter, bit wary of plastic things that screw together. Might be worth a look.

Kev
Kev75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2019, 10:39   #13
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Have you checked your power steering fluid level?
Yep - no change in level, besides its the colour of engine oil and it would seem to have lost more oil than the power steering could contain, so it would have been very noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev75 View Post
Mine had a drip from the oil filter, I did not tighten it enough when I changed the oil filter, bit wary of plastic things that screw together. Might be worth a look.
Kev
Checked and its dry, as is the top of the alternator directly below it.

I wonder where the oil pressure switch is, anyone know?

Wish I had a diagram of that side of the engine..

[EDIT] I have checked the turbo flow and returns at the rear, very easy to see and check, plenty of space there and all absolutely dry.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 19th September 2019 at 12:01..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2019, 12:06   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I think Colbert may have mentioned it above, the blue doesn't show on my phone). Have you changed the PCV filter recently? With the engine running remove the dipstick (oil may spew out if really bad). Or remove the oil filler cap and feel for a lot pressure and spitting oil.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2019, 12:25   #15
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Default Got It !!!! Maybe?

I rang Big Russ to see if he had any ideas as to what could leak around that area. He suggested oil filter, or oil cooler, or PCV blocked and pressurising the engine.

For the first time since I serviced it, in readiness to delve deeper, I removed the engine top cover and spotted the large oil filter O ring had bubbled out towards the rear of the top, slightly hidden under front of the engine cover. All seemed dry and felt dry, but I thought best fix it whilst I remember.

I removed the lid, reseated the O ring, started the engine and no more leakage - I'm just stumped as to how that much oil could be leaking out, without it being obvious it was from the oil filter cover?

More checks to make, to be sure it is fixed, but looks promising.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 19th September 2019, 14:37   #16
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I rang Big Russ to see if he had any ideas as to what could leak around that area. He suggested oil filter, or oil cooler, or PCV blocked and pressurising the engine.

For the first time since I serviced it, in readiness to delve deeper, I removed the engine top cover and spotted the large oil filter O ring had bubbled out towards the rear of the top, slightly hidden under front of the engine cover. All seemed dry and felt dry, but I thought best fix it whilst I remember.

I removed the lid, reseated the O ring, started the engine and no more leakage - I'm just stumped as to how that much oil could be leaking out, without it being obvious it was from the oil filter cover?

More checks to make, to be sure it is fixed, but looks promising.

That's good news. It doesn't take much to nip the o ring. I think it is something like 22nm torque.

Check for the pcv in any case, as if it was blocked and pressure built up, that would be the weak point for it to leak from with pressure.

Old 19th September 2019, 18:07   #17
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
That's good news. It doesn't take much to nip the o ring. I think it is something like 22nm torque.

Check for the pcv in any case, as if it was blocked and pressure built up, that would be the weak point for it to leak from with pressure.

I've kept an eye on the original PCV, its always been perfectly clean. As a quick check, I remove the oil filler cap with the engine running to see if there is any pressure building up.

Good point though, I'll check it again.

Old 19th September 2019, 18:19   #18
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I've kept an eye on the original PCV, its always been perfectly clean. As a quick check, I remove the oil filler cap with the engine running to see if there is any pressure building up.

Good point though, I'll check it again.

The PCV should be black and filthy, if it is clean there may be an issue elsewhere. (perhaps I am misinterpreting perfectly clean for clear? as in fumes can pass through).

They dont need changed for tens of thousands of miles I believe, but I change mine every oil change, for the cost and time it takes it gives me peace of mind. Plus I get the excuse to nosey around the rear of the engine bay and check out the fuel lines etc.

Old 19th September 2019, 19:02   #19
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
The PCV should be black and filthy, if it is clean there may be an issue elsewhere. (perhaps I am misinterpreting perfectly clean for clear? as in fumes can pass through).
By clear I meant not even slightly blocked, yes - it always had oil soaking it and black, but obstruction to the free flow of air.

Old 20th September 2019, 12:52   #20
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Harry, the oil pressure switch is located on the oil filter casing where it bolts to the crankcase, the switch is on the right hand side and barely visible, and unsure how one would access this with tools to change one. The housing is fairly easy to change, but intensive when you really need the front end off to clean mating surfaces properly. Changed one a week or so ago (Housing not switch)
Good luck !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote