Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th September 2019, 16:42   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default CDTi incontinance

It was bone dry when I serviced it a few weeks ago, dry this morning before I set off to do around 18 mile today, or at least there were no oil spots on the floor of my garage.

I parked up at a local super market, on my way back and spotted a small puddle level with and inboard of the front offside wheel. The engine under cover was in place and it was dripping from that. I checked the fluids and all seemed fine, so I continued the half mile home - not its in my drive, up on ramps with the engine cover removed. Its very wet under the sump, the power steering pump and a mist on the underside of the alternator.

As near as I could tell, the crank area was dry. Power steering dip-stick showed no loss, under side of the engine oil filter was dry. Colour of the oil appeared to be amber, the colour of engine oil. With engine on ramps, dip stick is showing minimum, on the level, at Lidl it was showing 3/4 full.

Ideas please for potential leak points to check out.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 17:00   #2
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Try the return oil feed from the turbo. Mine recently leaked from where it meets the block. It's up where the water pump is. A couple of copper crush washers from Rimmer's sorted it.

See here https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=298104
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 19:04   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Not too sure about this Harry but I expect someone will say yes or No.

I think there is a crank case breather on the engine. If this gets blocked then oil, under pressure, can come out through the seal on the crank case pulley end. This oil would show in the places that you are seeing it.
There are other ways of course like a sump gasket or a loose oil feed pipe as others have said.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 19:34   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Not too sure about this Harry but I expect someone will say yes or No.

I think there is a crank case breather on the engine. If this gets blocked then oil, under pressure, can come out through the seal on the crank case pulley end. This oil would show in the places that you are seeing it.
There are other ways of course like a sump gasket or a loose oil feed pipe as others have said.
I have no urgency to fix it - I only took a quick look, but the crank pulley seemed perfectly dry. F-T-F seemed to be suggest that turbo return feed banjo is at the rear of the engine, whereas my leak seems to be at the front of the engine, around the steering pump, but lower than the alternator. The sump was dripping with fresh oil and I cannot see it being possible for the oil be blown from the back of the engine towards the front.

The lower engine mount was dry. I have not tried running the engine and having a look yet.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 18th September 2019, 19:50   #5
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Sorry Harry, should have read it properly. If you had the leak I had, there would be gooey oil all over the back of the engine right hand side, under tray and it also sprayed under the air cleaner to turbo air inlet u bend pipe.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 20:37   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Im going to go with the turbo pipes too, two of mine had the same issue.
Old 18th September 2019, 22:09   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I had something similar and it was the power steering pump shaft seal letting by.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2019, 05:39   #8
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

How about crack in sump cover - I grounded mine going up our track and was surprised that it cracked the cover which then started to leak - spotted by my mother-in-law who asked"...should your car be doing that??" !!
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2019, 09:03   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
I had something similar and it was the power steering pump shaft seal letting by.
I don't think its steering fluid, judging by the colour and the reservoir is still up to the line. There is far too much oil dripping for the power steering level not to show it.

Old 19th September 2019, 10:00   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

A little progress....

There is no leakage with engine not actually running.

Run the engine and there is a steady constant drip every few seconds, with a trail down the front of the engine itself, then onto sump. Difficult to see where from, but it is down the front face of the engine (side of block/sump), between mid-point of steering pump. It appears immediately the engine is started.

Crank pulley, as I said is quite dry. I cannot see any oil from under the bonnet at all the leakage is from somewhere quite low down.

Anyone near Garforth able to take a look?