Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th September 2019, 17:26   #81
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Honest John has done a news feature on the pavement parking here

Nice looking ZT!
Anyone here own a red MG BU51 HZW ?

Yesterday, waiting for a bus at a well marked bus stop with clear yellow line and no waiting except buses, buses needing the space every few minutes - One of those massive Post Office parcel vans pulled in to the bus bay, the only place available for buses to pull in without blocking the road. This outside the local Post Office, which has its own parking at the rear. He got a ticket - well done that Parking Services man.

Single and double yellow lines are spreading through the village, because of the commuter all day parking on local streets. The more lines have been put in place, the more the 'parkers' have moved out to sometimes even less acceptable places to park.

Most recently, they parked on a stretch of busy arterial road, restricting it for through traffic, quickly dealt with by yellow lines, that then moved the parking further along the same road, to an even narrower section of road, a section of road outside where I had once lived some 40 years ago. Even 40 years ago, I would never have thought it sensible to try to park there, restricting a much less busy main road. I would have expected a fine for obstruction. Now they seem not to issue obstruction fines, just parking fines and only where/when parking is prohibited by specific signs. What happened to common sense?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 9th September 2019 at 17:52..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 09:10   #82
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Makes you wonder if we're heading towards a Japanese style 'Proof of parking' law where on-street parking is generally banned.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 10:41   #83
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Lots of very good points on both sides of the argument.

Here's my 2 pence worth.

My mother has walking difficulties, she's not wheel chair bound, but it'll probably end up that she will need one before long.

When I visit her ( most evenings ) I have to park half on the pavement as her street is a cul-de-sac, it's narrow, if I parked fully on the road, then other cars couldn't get past.
I cant park on the drive as my fathers car is on there. I cant park at the top of the street on the main road as cars are always parked by the kerbside.

When I visit my sister ( 40 miles away from me ) I have to half park on the pavement, very similar reasons. If I used public transport it would be two bus journeys plus a decent walk from the nearest bus stop to her house.

When I visit my best friend, he's roughly 45 miles away, he doesn't have a drive at all. He and his wife to be have to park half on the pavement to allow cars to pass, and guess what? When I visit, I have to do the same.

At my place of work.
( Can we see where we're going here by now? )
I work opposite a school.
When the parents drop their kids off and pick them up later in the day, guess what? They have to park half on the pavement so cars can get past. The school doesn't have a car park.
When they have an open day, or some event going on, the cars are often parked all the way down the street for a few hours.

Now,
People with disabilities need a clear foot path. I understand this.
Emergency services need a clear road and way through.
Public transport isn't up to the job, infrastructure has not grown with the population growth and / or the migration of the worlds population ( one for another debate perhaps? )

As to what the answer is, I really don't know,
But if a "blanket" no parking on the pavement ban came into force over night, I think there would be utter chaos.

My 2 pence given.

Richard

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 13:16   #84
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Makes you wonder if we're heading towards a Japanese style 'Proof of parking' law where on-street parking is generally banned.
Well, fewer cars about, lower car ownership will reduce exhaust emissions and give public transport a shot in the arm - that's a win, win.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 10th September 2019, 13:45   #85
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

We have one of those "new" housing developments just down the road. All have either an allocated parking space, a driveway, or a garage. Cars are still parked on the footpaths and mostly by the residents with garages as their garages are full of "stuff"! I hate "stuff"! Most of it is plastic and of Eastern origin! Rant over!
Old 10th September 2019, 14:28   #86
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Job View Post
Lots of very good points on both sides of the argument.

Here's my 2 pence worth.

My mother has walking difficulties, she's not wheel chair bound, but it'll probably end up that she will need one before long.

When I visit her ( most evenings ) I have to park half on the pavement as her street is a cul-de-sac, it's narrow, if I parked fully on the road, then other cars couldn't get past.
I cant park on the drive as my fathers car is on there. I cant park at the top of the street on the main road as cars are always parked by the kerbside.

When I visit my sister ( 40 miles away from me ) I have to half park on the pavement, very similar reasons. If I used public transport it would be two bus journeys plus a decent walk from the nearest bus stop to her house.

When I visit my best friend, he's roughly 45 miles away, he doesn't have a drive at all. He and his wife to be have to park half on the pavement to allow cars to pass, and guess what? When I visit, I have to do the same.

At my place of work.
( Can we see where we're going here by now? )
I work opposite a school.
When the parents drop their kids off and pick them up later in the day, guess what? They have to park half on the pavement so cars can get past. The school doesn't have a car park.
When they have an open day, or some event going on, the cars are often parked all the way down the street for a few hours.

Now,
People with disabilities need a clear foot path. I understand this.
Emergency services need a clear road and way through.
Public transport isn't up to the job, infrastructure has not grown with the population growth and / or the migration of the worlds population ( one for another debate perhaps? )

As to what the answer is, I really don't know,
But if a "blanket" no parking on the pavement ban came into force over night, I think there would be utter chaos.

My 2 pence given.

Richard

When I go to my daughters I may need.... no, I may choose to park half on the pavement due to a car in the road opposite, I don't like it. I think the over riding factor needs to be a clear path for disabled and pushchairs. The rest of us can walk and a clear road for vehicles to pass.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 17:16   #87
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
When I go to my daughters I may need.... no, I may choose to park half on the pavement due to a car in the road opposite, I don't like it. I think the over riding factor needs to be a clear path for disabled and pushchairs. The rest of us can walk and a clear road for vehicles to pass.

macafee2
The problem is - much of the population just insist on having a car each, rather than one car per household. The parents have a car, the kids become old enough to have cars and cars they get - no one thinks of do they have somewhere to park it, they just must have a car irrespective of actual justifiable need.

Old 10th September 2019, 17:47   #88
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

It's because of this Must Have society we live in. Opposite me there is family of two adults and two children. A terrace house with five cars,only one garaged.
But it's not only cars,it's must have new this or that,that is why locally here they digging holes in our mountains to bury stuff.
Might not be environmentally friendly,but gone are days when the only thing in our local ash tip was ash,everything else was put on fire.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 22:40   #89
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Parking

What an interesting thread. I wouldn’t advise anyone to tell me how many cars I ought to own, or that I shouldn’t park a car in the road if there was a space on my drive. Or tell me I was antisocial.

At the same time I have never parked on a pavement, or even a grass verge. But I am sinned against. Persistent grass verge parking – and that’s the whole car not just two wheels. And it’s me that mows that grass when I do my lawn as well.

Also getting under the skin are both Tesco vans and Sainsbury vans stopping on my dropped kerb and ramp to deliver groceries that the neighbours could easily get from the shop themselves by getting off their fat derriers. On the other hand I’ve never complained to any one of them.

We all live in the same world and who the hell am I to tell another where to put their car? Get over it, some people are inconsiderate, even ignorant, but I don’t think I have any right to tell them what to do. On the other hand I would be perfectly happy to push the next cyclist over when next they ride past me on the pavement at breakneck speed without using their bell. Now that’s inconsiderate, reckless, ignorant, and by the way illegal. It would always be an accident, obviously.

Right, that’s my rant for the month. We are off to Sicily tomorrow. There is an organisation there as well, some call them the local authority, that doesn’t tolerate dissent.

Last edited by wraymond; 10th September 2019 at 22:43..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 23:20   #90
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:

I suppose their little smashers can't walk? I never got a lift in a car to or from school with anyone (we didn't have one anyway).
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote