Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st November 2009, 11:29   #1
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

Default CDT none starter - electrics?

Hello all,

The red tourer has been a bit reluctant to start recently. Turns over but takes a while to catch. Finally got around to having a look this morning and it wouldn't start at all.

Symptoms as follows...

Before turning key - the battery light is glowing slightly, even with the ignition off. Just visible.

On key turn - everything electric sort of judders, as if it is getting turned on and off a couple of times per second. The autobox numbers flash, the headlights come on (even when not on at the switch), the things that make a noise behind the glove box stutters. Autobox read out says EP. Oil light flashes, engine management light comes on.It is general electrical madness.

On ignition - engine starts to turn, half a second, but won't catch.

Checked so far

I have checked the plenum and it seems fine.

I have tried swapping the battery to my other tourer but it doesn't make any difference and the other tourer starts perfectly off this battery.

Battery terminals all seem fine.

History

This is the car we put a new engine in last winter. It has worked fine up until a month or so ago when it started developing this slow start problem. It seemed to be worse when it was hot so I was going to try a spare cam sensor today to see if it solved it.

SWMBO has reported a couple of occasions when the car has cut out. And yesterday it stalled a couple of times just after starting when pulling away (auto)

Last night I didn't think it was going to start at all, it just kept turning over, lights were dimming and electrics were flashing, then it suddenly started. Drove it 2 miles home and this morning it seems totally kaput.

Thoughts

I'm wondering if there are two problems running at once. Maybe a cam sensor problem and some kind of electrical earth issue going on.

Any ideas?

Replace in tank fuel pump with Peugeot alternative
Dismantle and re-fit interior and seats
Retrofit electric memory seats without the loom
All followed at your own risk!

Available to borrow: I have a home made (tried and tested) Cam Locking tool for M47 should anyone need it.
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 13:23   #2
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

Solved.

The first earth point just next to the battery was showing signs of arcing. Joint seemed pretty tight but a bit of sandpaper and an extra washer seems to have solved the problem completely.

Replace in tank fuel pump with Peugeot alternative
Dismantle and re-fit interior and seats
Retrofit electric memory seats without the loom
All followed at your own risk!

Available to borrow: I have a home made (tried and tested) Cam Locking tool for M47 should anyone need it.
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 15:57   #3
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

The simplest of things always seem to cause the most problems.
Glad you are sorted.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:36   #4
adrianlit

rover 75 saloon connoiseur cdt se

Default electrical problems

i had come on here today because of the above fault,it started last night 4 times tried turn the engine over it tried but nothing then on 5th attempt all the lights came on and the central locking opened just the same as the above gentleman spoke about noises behind the glovebox etc,i tried the battery terminals but still same,yes yesterday it rained really hard but up until then ive had the car since feb and not a prob its a 2001 2ltr cdt connoisseur se anyway please help
adrianlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:44   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Have you checked to make sure there is no water in the lower plenum?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 16:05   #6
adrianlit

i have just checked under the bonnet the passanger side plenum is clear and dry but the drivers side is overflowing with water, could that be whats making the electrics go funny how do i unblock it?
Old 3rd November 2009, 16:45   #7
adrianlit

i got a curtin wire and pushed it all the way down it cleared it and no water there and the wire went all the way down freely,all the electrics are just going silly turn the ignition and all what happens is continuous clicking and all thw warning lights turning on same with the driving lights at the same pulse as the clicks,i disconnected the battery and not the radio does not work but still the clicking/warning lights,i dont have the code for the radio/tv/satnav unit,how do i get it again? PLEASE HELP i need the car desperately for saturday
Old 3rd November 2009, 16:45   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

That is only the upper plenum. the lower one is where the ECU lives, very important it is clear.

To do a quick check.

Open Bonnet
Remove plastic mesh at base of windscreen drivers side
Shine a torch into the cavity below, that is the lower plenum.
If you can see any water you need to follow the "how to" to drain the plenum.

Have a look here it is titled Unblocking Drainage Channels

If your ECU is wet it may already too late but you may save it removing it from the car and placing in a warn area of the house for a few days.

This plenum should be checked at least monthly at the most

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 3rd November 2009 at 19:04..
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:24   #9
adrianlit

will have check that tomorrow if the ecu is wet is it ruined? i have seen used ecu on ebay for £175,is it just plug and play or does it need to be reprogrammed? also the radio now does not work nothing just a blank screen and interference sound ,i dont have a code for the radio,anyway of finding the code or will i have to pay to get it reprogramed ?it dont rain it just pours why not !!! any help to the above please and asap as i need the car for saturday so dont have much time to sort it out thanks who helps me
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:41   #10
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Hi Adrian,

Right, ECU's are not plug and play.

Second hand ones to date cannot be reprogrammed.
Ecu's can be saved simply by removing from car and keeping in a dry area of a while but not often.

The ECU doctor can repair your existing ECU for a price, but it's cheaper than a new one

The fault may not be the ecu. check in the spare wheel well for water ingress.

Once we have established if water is or isn't the probable cause we can move on from there with more guidance from the Diesel Mob