Notices

Old 25th July 2018, 22:11   #11
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Real life situation:

A cul-de-sac in Dagenham, mid 90's

Mr x drives home to find the entrance to the cul-de-sac blocked by an ambulance, he waits for several minutes and no one comes, no one is in the ambulance, no house doors are open, he gets mad and scrawls an angry message on the windscreen in felt tip.

He turns round and parks round the corner...

He walks back and puts his key in the front door to find 2 paramedics desperately trying to resuscitate his wife of 20 plus years who has had a heart attack.

Ambulances and fire tenders can park where they NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- well like when on a call...

end of subject
Old 26th July 2018, 00:17   #12
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
my daughter is the ambulance service.
if they were on a shout, without doubt I would say no.
What is the difference between the paramedic parking there, a BT engineer, a Breakdown truck or any commercial vehicle?

is this only an issue because it is an ambulance?

macafee2
The difference is, that a BT engineer isn't likely to get a literally life or death call that means he or she needs to be back on the road within seconds. So a BT engineer or a trucker can park around the corner and walk. A paramedic can park in the shop as far as I'm concerned
Old 26th July 2018, 07:07   #13
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundsman Willie View Post
The difference is, that a BT engineer isn't likely to get a literally life or death call that means he or she needs to be back on the road within seconds. So a BT engineer or a trucker can park around the corner and walk. A paramedic can park in the shop as far as I'm concerned
My sentiments exactly Dave! Ian, I get where you are coming from, but this is different,as Dave says, the medic could get a shout and need to be away instantly. IMO, if a firefighter,police officer or paramedic ,on duty, goes to a shop for food/drink, they should be able to go straight to the front of any queue,to allow them to be ready for their next call.
Old 26th July 2018, 07:07   #14
paul d
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Saab 93 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Real life situation:

Mr x drives home to find the entrance to the cul-de-sac blocked by an ambulance, he waits for several minutes and no one comes, no one is in the ambulance, no house doors are open, he gets mad and scrawls an angry message on the windscreen in felt tip.

He walks back and puts his key in the front door to find 2 paramedics desperately trying to resuscitate his wife of 20 plus years who has had a heart attack.

Ambulances and fire tenders can park where they NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- well like when on a call...

end of subject
Any Emergency Services vehicle should be able to park anywhere when on a call & that should be law but when not "working" should have to comply with parking regulations.

Would it not be beyond the bounds of possibility for supermarkets like this to have a designated space for such situations. It would make sense, it could be near the short term "pick up drop off" point so these extremely worthwhile servants of the community were as close to their vehicle as possible should the need arise.

The parking person could then issue tickets to the no doubt, LOTS of inconsiderate people who would use the space, just like those that abuse the Disabled spaces.

Regards

Paul
Old 26th July 2018, 07:14   #15
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

There is a designated emergency vehicle a parking spot outside one of the entrances to the Gateshead Metricentre complex, so why not elsewhere too? Makes sense to me.
Old 26th July 2018, 07:31   #16
paul d
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Saab 93 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
There is a designated emergency vehicle a parking spot outside one of the entrances to the Gateshead Metricentre complex, so why not elsewhere too? Makes sense to me.
To me it's problem solved.

To quote a well known TV presenter "How Hard Can It Be"

You will get folks saying that it should be for vehicles on a call, but if the Paramedics (who like the fire service do an amazing job) are in the store/center they would be on hand & deal with any emergency without hesitation i'm sure. Not walk past...!!!!!

Regards

Paul
Old 26th July 2018, 08:08   #17
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

I couldn't get the commentary, but got the gist of it. At one level, the parking warden was doing his job and at another level, his employers showed common sense and this highlighted the need for further training and guidance. The emergency services have very few perks if any and it costs nothing for these wardens to turn a blind eye to them parking up illegally or not. If anyone disagrees, you are entitled to you opinion
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 08:13   #18
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

In the example in the video, absolutely, rules are rules. Why should they be treated differently? The paramedic appears to have abused their position.

Mind we have the, now common, internet hero filming it and making the situation worse. He could have helped out but decided to do the opposite.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 08:49   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Dave, Rich, thank you. Please don't think I was agreeing to the ticket, in part that's why I said my daughter works for the service. I wanted those that said the ambulance should not get a ticket to have a sensible reason which you have given and I agree with.

If the ambulance had not been ticketed "but the car behind had been" ( I know there was no car) there would have been an outcry by the driver. The parking attendant may have been given instructions, park on a double yellow, ticket. He may not have the authority to pick and choose.
Perhaps he could have contacted his supervisor for advice.

Even with what I have said above, I feel the ambulance should have been ignored.
Valid point has been made that if the paramedic needs to attend a shout the time spent no matter how small running across the car park could be the difference between life and death.

Perhaps good will come from this incident and retailers and parking companies will voluntarily agree not to ticket emergency vehicles on a shout or not. Drivers of emergency vehicles in similar circumstance will agree to park sensibly. Sensibly.. not parking blocking a junction, the road so no one can get pass. Common sense

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 26th July 2018 at 08:52..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 08:51   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Real life situation:

end of subject
I agree but in this situation, they were not on a shout.

I wonder how the chap in your example felt once he found out why the ambulance was there.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote